Dosage and Method: Cayenne

cayenne powder

This fiery fruit with its amazing healing powers can be taken daily as a preventative measure and even in small amounts taken consistently have long term benefits.  More is not always better, so start off with low doses and try these methods.

How:  tea, powder, capsules, oil, food, used also for minor wounds

How much: Start off with one eighth or less of a teaspoon a few times a day until you and your system are used to it.  Increase to one teaspoon divided over 2 to 3 doses daily.  Some sources recommend one teaspoon three times a daily to address specific health issues as a short term method.  As with any herb or spice for health purposes, I suggest you purchase organic cayenne pepper from a reliable source.

Tea:  Start with a quarter of a teaspoon (or less) in a small amount of warm water (a quarter to half a cup) and use a straw to get it down quickly.  The straw does help bypass much of the mouth.  If you prefer, you can add more warm water – it doesn’t have to be hot – and sip it as a tea.  Eventually, try to work up to a half a teaspoon daily.  If you have a few issues such as a headache, high blood pressure, a cold coming on or even hemorrhoids increase to a few times daily.

If it is too much heat for you, after ingesting, hold a small amount of yoghurt or milk in your mouth.  Almost instant relief.

Capsules:  If you want an instant effect taking it orally in liquid form is the best way as its action begins to enter the body through the membrane of the mouth.  Capsules may dissolve in the stomach or later in the intestine.  This is not a recommended way to take cayenne as it will not be evenly distributed and absorbed a little at a time.

Oil:  Some people find that buying (or making) cayenne oil and taking it dropper wise is easier for them.  Others carry a small dropper bottle with them in case of emergency such as heart attack. or even emergency care for wounds as it staunches the blood.

Wounds: For minor wounds and follow up care, use the powder straight into the wound – it is anti-bacterial and anti-fungal. It will staunch the blood flow.  I have done this a few times when in the kitchen.  I simply rinse the wound under running water, dry as best as possible with a paper towel and sprinkle a thick layer of cayenne.  It stings a bit but is tolerable.  Press another clean paper towel over the wound for a few seconds and you will see the bleeding will stop after a few seconds.  Tap out a little of the now blood soaked cayenne and sprinkle in another good amount.  Bandaid/plaster over it and done.  Repeat a few times  a day.  You will see it will heal faster and leave nearly no scar.  Take a bottle with you on camping or any outdoor activity.

Food:  Usually, the least effective way to take cayenne.  Why?  Because most people will not be ingesting the recommended amount daily for therapeutic purposes with normal cooking  – unless you add your dose per meal.

If you are interested in taking cayenne for lowering blood pressure, studies have shown that once cayenne is taken regularly even if just for a week, that cutting back to a few 1/4 tsp. doses twice a day for 3-4 days a week has long term effectiveness.  I can attest to this as this is what I experienced.  I had tried other herbal extracts without the quick and enduring help of cayenne.

Anyone interested may contact me via the contact page or in comments for my protocol on how I take my combination of spices in a tasty, easy way.  My subscribers receive further info and updates via the newsletter and pdf material.

Caution:

• Never give cayenne to children below 2 years of age, and be careful when handling it around them.
  • If you’re on heart medications, like ACE inhibitors, talk to your health practioner before taking red pepper. Similar caution goes out to people on antacids, and blood thinners.
  • If you’re allergic to latex, nuts, kiwis, avocado, or banana you may also be allergic to cayenne.

Tip:  Handle any hot pepper with gloves.  Be sure to wash the cutting board well.  Milk contains 80% of the protein casein, a fat attracting lipophilic substance which effectively dissolves and carries away the capsaicin which will alleviate the heat whereas water will spread it, intensifying the effect.  It is a very big mistake to drink water if you have ingested something that is hotter than you can handle.  Instead, hold milk or yogurt in your mouth for instant relief.  If you get any in your eyes, likewise, rinse with milk or use a yogurt compress.  The same holds true for skin irritation from capsaicin.

Be sure to purchase your herb and spices from non-irradiated, organic and reliable sources for the full health benefit.  Grocery store herbs are good enough for seasoning but most likely have been radiated.  One company and product I can recommend (comes in various heat units) is Starwest Botanicals Organic Cayenne.  Good reputation and their products come in sealed pouches, saving postage as well.

An exceptional oil extract is Dr. Christophers Formulas Cayenne Pepper Extract which is 200,000 heat units.  Please do an online search regarding Dr. Christopher +cayenne for specifics and information before you order this product.

After uploading my cayenne articles, I ran across a very informative site devoted to cayenne and its uses.  Have a look here!

Read more about cayenne benefits Spice: Cayenne – More Than Just Zing

———-

Therapeutic doses of most any herbal preparation is seldom intended for long term use and were never intended to be used in that way.  Obviously, long term chemical ‘solutions’ have also negative effects.  Many herbalists and Naturopathic practitioners recommend taking breaks of a few weeks from any long term herb use.  However, some people eventually ease themselves off of pharmaceuticals and are happy with the results using natural methods and just as importantly, a healthier lifestyle.  Your health practitioner (read my interpretation of that and my disclaimer here) should be consulted.

12 comments… add one
  • Dora 30/10/2016, 02:23

Is there a time limit on how long you should ingest cayenne? Herb Pharm makes an oil you mix with four ounces of water, should i limit the time i take it?

• admin 30/10/2016, 22:07

Hello Dora,
      How long to take it will depend on why you take it…and dosage, of course. Herb Pharm has excellent products and the cayenne ‘oil’ you mention is an extract of cayenne. Any product that says you can take it with water or juice is not an oil per se.

I am only mentioning this for your benefit and those of other readers. There is a difference between a herbal oil (this is an oil maceration), an extract/tincture (this is water or alcohol or combination of both extraction) and an essential ‘oil’ which is a distillation of the volatile ‘oils’ of a herb…and is usually not ‘oily’. Each have their different potency and properties with maceration the weakest.

Cayenne tincture/extract is potent, so I will assume you are taking it for a specific health condition such as for the heart or circulation. In this case take it as long as necessary until your condition improves. Monitor your health (blood pressure, etc). If you are happy with the results, then lower the dose with the intention of reaching a maintenance level and again keep monitoring.

Some people take it (or other specific herbs) as a short term, but therapeutic dosed treatment, especially around the autumn or spring times, for around 21 days then easing off.

Many herbs can be taken without interruption, however and from a herbalists standpoint it is better for the system to interrupt continuous doses after a few months (stopping for a few weeks then gradually starting up again). This helps the body not to become reliant on external support rather than its own healing properties.

So, you see, there is no one answer for all. It depends on purpose, dose and of course our unique needs. If you are still unsure, I would suggest you consult a medical herbalist or a health practitioner versed in holistic or natural health methods.

My guide on herbs for heart health (if this is the reason you wish to take cayenne) may interest you. There are herbs that complement cayenne but work differently. If you become a subscriber, I will send it to you plus another report on 10 foods to protect your heart. 🙂

I hope this helps.

• Alain D. 05/10/2016, 05:57

Thank you about cayenne pepper. Very useful.
    AD

• admin 05/10/2016, 13:55

You are welcome!

• Laura Talley 18/08/2016, 23:50

Hello,
    I just received Pure Botanicals 500 mg Cayenne veggie Caps. After having read what you wrote, seems like I should not have bought the caps, bummer. I also have read the many benefits of Turmeric. I make a syrup with it for my hubby with honey when he has a cough, works miracles!! I do have high blood pressure, and the side effects of my Valsartan, and recently…Amlidopine are really getting to me. I would so love to know how you lowered your BP, naturally. I know everything works different for everybody, but I am tired of the side effects of my prescriptions. ANY help would be huge. I go to the doc and all they want to do is give me another RX.
    Thank you ahead of time if you respond,
    Laura

• admin 19/08/2016, 08:03

Hello Laura,
      Don’t worry about the capsules. Just open one over your food or however you want to use it. 500 mg is .5 of a gram, which is ever so slightly more than 1/4 tsp. One tsp. is 1.80 gram if this helps you with your capsules.

There are several herbals that help with elevated BP. What works for me is using cayenne consistently several times a week in my yogurt (see my Muesli recipe)…or on my eggs, or in my scrambled eggs with my turmeric dose. Olive Leaf Extract is excellent and something I take also now and again in water and then there is White Hawthorn…the later is excellent for long term heart health in general and it is believed to act as a heart tonic, strengthening the heart muscle. It is a classic in Western herbalism and works differently as Olive Leaf. Both work via different pathways but both help lower the high BP. And I make sure I have plenty of water and other liquids.

Of course nothing works if the lifestyle is poor, but I am sure you know that!

Sign up as a subscriber to my newsletter and I will send you my ebook on Herbal Heart Health. I will see your name and manually send it to you, in the meantime, there are several other free ebooks you will get a link to in the first welcome message as soon as you confirm your subscription. 🙂

• Happy 19/07/2016, 11:30

Hi Admin

Can I used cayenne to lose weight,

• admin 19/07/2016, 14:49

There are studies regarding cayenne and weight-loss such as this one:
      Manchester Metropolitian University in Manchester, England:

“Capsaicinoids are a group of chemicals found in chilli peppers, with bioactive properties. The purpose of this study is to systematically review research investigating the potential benefits capsaicinoid compounds may have in relation to weight management. Medical databases were searched and 90 trials found, 20 of which were selected for inclusion, involving 563 participants. Three main areas of potential benefit for weight management were found: (1) increased energy expenditure; (2) increased lipid oxidation and (3) reduced appetite. Trial duration, dosage and sized varied, though trials were generally of high quality with a low risk of bias. It was observed that consumption of capsaicinoids increases energy expenditure by approximately 50 kcal/day, and that this would produce clinically significant levels of weight loss in 1-2 years. It was also observed that regular consumption significantly reduced abdominal adipose tissue levels and reduced appetite and energy intake. The mechanism of action is not presently fully understood, although it is well accepted much of the effects are caused by stimulation of the TRPV1 receptor. While capsaicinoids are not a magic bullet for weight loss, the evidence is that they could play a beneficial role, as part of a weight management program” (Whiting, S., 2012, para. 1).

However, take that last sentence literally; that cayenne can play a ROLE in weight management but it is not a magic bullet. And keep in mind it must be taken consistently. Without a good lifestyle, healthy food and common sense, no herb will make the weight drop off.

• HENRY BROWN 05/07/2016, 19:56

the uses of cayenne pepper really fascinates me. if you have a weekly,or monthly news letter, please add me to your list–thanks

• admin 06/07/2016, 10:13

Hello Henry,
      Yes, cayenne is a potent herb. Turmeric is for me the top herb/spice with cayenne coming in at 9.5 if on a scale of 1 to 10…with turmeric being 10+ ! 😉 Thanks for asking about the newsletter…yes I do have one, however I cannot manually add subscribers. Please subscribe either via a pop up you see appear once you leave a page or at the top of each page is a subscribe form. Once you subscribe, you will receive a confirmation message with a link you click on to confirm…and that is it. Thanks for asking!

• Linda 19/11/2015, 18:54

I just want to add that I am not sure how I stumbled onto the ‘cayenne pepper’ info. In order to find it back I have to type it in the Q bar. Personally I think it should be under ‘Health Highlights’ for easier access. Unless I am missing it under one of the other headings. I am wondering if most people are missing out on all this info as it is a bit hard to find. Maybe that is why there are not any comments on this section.

Thanks so much for all the valuable information here and on the rest of your site!

• admin 06/07/2016, 17:57

You are right, Linda. I have since created drop down menu under each category. So sorry I missed your messages. Last year the site was having some problems and I often did not receive notification of comments. Thanks for your kind words!