Milk, Myths and Utter Nonsense

If you are North American, you no doubt grew up with a glass of milk at every meal and when you were thirsty, you reached for the milk carton and downed another glass or two.

Then with desserts of course, another glass of milk. Who can deny that biscuits (cookies) and milk are inseparable? Your mother dutifully heeded the milk industries ‘advice’ on the importance of milk for your family as did the schools. The government as well – being closely related to money making industries.

While the milk industry convinced the general public that milk was the best source of calcium and was the (almost) perfect food. It also was busy developing more and more products based on the white gold.

In the meantime, and since the 50’s, food allergies and intolerances have significantly increased, most notably lactose/casein intolerances. Milk was also praised as the singular most important product against osteoporosis.

America consumes the highest quantities of milk products, and yet has increasingly higher cases of osteoporosis and calcium deficiencies than ever before.

Paradoxically, it is also the only modern, western society that has alarmingly high statistics of malnutrition even amongst the middle class – obviously, this not being due entirely to the high milk consumption but caused by the typical North American diet based on processed, junk foods, high protein and fat intake and otherwise inadequate diet.

Carbonated drinks leach calcium from the body contributing greatly to calcium deficiency and malabsorption of vitamins as well.

Relentless Propaganda
What may have been well intentioned in the early 1950’s has proven to be one of the best advertising schemes of the modern food industry. Pictures of contented cows, the 50’s ideal of the perfect home, the current ‘milk moustache’ campaign has sold the public on the milk industry’s white lie – that milk is good for you.

Their own laboratories know the truth, yet the public is given half truths and blatant fabrication of the truth about milk.
The milk industry has been relentlessly successful in their drive to convince the public of the ‘benefits’ of milk.  And it spends millions to dispel and ridicule evidence against its use. They would have you believe that milk is the only and best source of calcium and that milk is liquid protein. Yet it is a known fact that high protein consumption is a Pandora’s Box leading to many illnesses.

What is milk?

In a sentence, it is the first nurturing substance given to a cow’s offspring. It is the perfect food – if you are a calf. Humans really have no need to drink it. In fact, humans are the only creatures that consume a nurturing substance from a creature other than their own species.

Milk is mainly composed of water, lactose and casein. Lactose is milk sugar; casein is milk protein. Lactose is found in all mammalian milk. It is interesting that in infancy almost all babies can tolerate lactose (mother’s milk), but many develop an intolerance once given cow’s milk.

Lactase is an enzyme present in the small intestine that digests lactose. Not enough of this or lack of it is the cause of lactose intolerance resulting in severe intestinal cramping, diarrhea and vomiting.

In babies, symptoms can be as subtle as nappy rash (diaper rash), irritability, frothy stools, passing much wind to screaming bouts after feeding with drawn up legs (a natural reflex to ease abdominal pain). Or more complex as seemingly unrelated symptoms such as skin irritation or eczema.

70% of the world population is lactose (non-mother’s milk) intolerant. Certain races such as African, Asian, Malay, Filipino, Native American, Southern European, Australian Aboriginal and Hispanic race or mixed ethnic background are known not to produce this enzyme or have such low levels of lactase, that this leads to adult lactose intolerance.

90% of adult blacks are lactose intolerant and 20-30% of Caucasians. In societies where milk consumption is highest, lactose intolerance can develop after the age of 4-5 years. Those of Caucasian or Northern European genetic background usually have no problem with lactose intolerance.

Yoghurt and certain cheeses pose less of a problem for those with lactose intolerance. This is due to the higher concentration of ‘good bacteria’ that consumes the lactose in place of the missing enzyme.

The White Lie #1
What the milk industry doesn’t want you to know about is the long list of problems related to milk. Here is a short list:

· milk encourages mucus and catarrh (it doesn’t produce it)
· pasteurised milk can aggravate candidiasis if you have it (many people do but do not know it)
· the process of pasteurising milk destroys 50% of Vitamin C
· juvenile insulin dependent diabetes is higher in high milk consumption cultures
· it is the main cause of infant colic and of allergies in infants to adults
· higher incidences of ovarian cancer as well other cancers (such as lymphatic and lung cancers)
· excessive dairy consumption can cause you to loose calcium through the urine and hence actually cause osteoporosis
· Because of the high protein found in dairy products, excessive consumption can actually interfere with calcium absorption. This excess protein is a major cause of the osteoporosis riddle.
· osteoporosis is not caused by lack of calcium but by LOSS of calcium
· a 30 year Scandinavian study showed an indisputable link between milk and arthritis

Milk contributes to poor liver function

And the list goes on. Excessive milk product consumption contributes to a sluggish liver which, amongst a plethora of problems such as inability to loose weight, build up of toxins in the body, will interfere with the conversion of Vitamin D.

This vitamin is found in sunlight or a balanced diet. Vitamin D is vital for the body to absorb calcium. Lack of it or not enough of it means that you can consume all the calcium supplements and milk products you wish, you will still have a calcium deficiency. This alone is ONE of the reasons why excess milk consumption is a major factor in the osteoporosis riddle – the liver cannot convert the vital Vitamin D.

Excess protein in the diet is the primary cause of osteoporosis next to malabsorption of calcium. We really only need about 45 g. for a 60 kilo adult and can get by quite well with 28 to 30 g. daily, yet the meat industry will have you believe something else.

Most of humanity’s health problems are due to an overworked, sluggish liver caused by poor nutrition and excesses. The liver and the kidneys are the most important filtering systems in the body.

High milk and protein consumption are one of the dominos in a long row. Think of a sluggish liver as the first domino. Push the liver too far and you can imagine the effect. The Domino Effect. But the liver is a subject for another article.

The White Lie #2
‘Contented cows. Cows milk is pure’.

I assure you, they are not contented and the milk is far from pure. Here a few facts: In the early 50’s cows produced an average of 2,000 pounds of milk yearly compared to top producers today giving 50,000 pounds. Is this because the cows are contented? Hardly – drugs, antibiotics, hormones, forced feeding and selective breeding is the industry norm.

Milk is so full of pus from infected utters that antibiotics and medicinal ointments are necessary, which is passed on to you. Certainly, the milk is pasteurized, ‘sterilized’, homogenized etc. etc., but the pus cells are still in it and we drink it – along with chemicals from feed and hormones cows are injected with to produce even more milk.

Cows lead a miserable life with restricted movement all their lives. Some are so weak they collapse. The average cow rarely lives to 4-5 years compared to an average life span in the pre-50’s boom of 12 to 15 years.

By the way, is mother’s milk pure? A study involving 14,000 mothers showed that all of them had milk contaminated with pesticides.

Major sources of these types of pesticides are meat and dairy milk. Lactating vegetarian mothers, on the other hand had half the levels.

Women who nourish themselves solely on commercial products had, of course far higher levels of other toxins due to artificial foods, flavourings, preservatives, colouring agents and the added lactose found in most  commercial products.

Women who avoided such foods and consumed only foods they prepared themselves from a close to natural state, had far lower levels. Their livers where healthier and vitamin deficiencies were almost non-existent.

How YOU fuel your body directly affects your health

You alone are responsible for your food choices.  Clearly, there is a direct connection between how we nourish ourselves and illnesses caused through toxic build-up and excesses.

Shocking, all this – I know. Personally, I feel substantiated in my natural disinterest in drinking milk as an adult and am less concerned than before about osteoporosis and my relatively low dairy product consumption.

Will I give up the occasional yoghurt or crème fraîche because of the horror stories? No.  But I will enjoy and use my almond or oat milk more and no longer worry about my low consumption of dairy products.

What I sincerely hope to achieve with this article is not so much ‘industry bashing’ as to enlighten about the White Lie and to encourage readers to be more aware and less trusting of mega-industries. Clearly, they are interested solely in making money and abuse consumer’s trust. Governments receive tremendous sums from these industries and neither is interested in your well-being. Don’t listen to the hype. Suspect it.

Traditional thinking

But why then, do so many doctors and ‘experts’ insist on drinking milk?  Traditional thinking, stubbornness perhaps.  Being a doctor does not necessarily make one a nutrition expert and so too often doctors as well fall for the industry supported hype (medical schooling barely covers the subject of nutrition).

Independent researchers and doctors who are against excessive dairy use have little to gain by cautioning against milk.  However, the milk industry has much to loose and so spends millions convincing the public with half truths, misinformation and blatant lies.

In my opinion, any substance that has become an ‘institution’ or is madly hyped, should be suspect – be it a ‘wonder pill’, yet another artificial food or food substance hype such as high consumption of animal protein. Question ‘reports’ and who they are funded by. Obviously, ‘reports’ funded by any industry will only serve their own purposes. Question why.

As for what to do about getting the bone building calcium we need? It may surprise you that there are organic sources that give more calcium than milk per calorie. Get it where the cows get it. From plants. Get at least 15 minutes daily of sunshine to produce Vitamin D to metabolize calcium, lower your protein intake, get off the junk food and artificial consumer foods, eat real foods and learn about better calcium sources.

Take care of your liver so it can do its job, walk or do other low to medium impact exercise. And above all – wipe off the milk moustache!

Milk is the leading cause for allergies…

The milk industry spends millions in advertising campaigns and in dispelling disturbing evidence against the consumption of milk.

Trivia Corner:100 g. of almonds has 234 mg. of calcium, sesame seeds have 1160 mg. 100 g. of milk has only 120 mg.

Green cabbage, kale, parsley and fennel are but a few more excellent sources of calcium.

37 comments… add one
  • julie 12/09/2016, 12:16

Maybe it’s true I don’t know, but I still gotta have milk with my rice crispies every day, tastes gross with veggie milks.

• Laura 22/12/2015, 06:00

I love your blog thank you for the great info!!! I will use some of your posts for my website – with appropriate reference of course.

• admin 10/02/2016, 08:34

Thank you for your kind words. Sent you an email.

• MIhai 29/04/2015, 17:57

It is not relevant nor entirely true that humans are the only species that consumes other mammal’s milk. Given the opportunity, snakes have been known to harvest cows’ milk. They do not byte the nipple, they suck it. The fact of the matter is that animals can not get other animals’ milk, usually. The cows are glad to get rid of the milk when their udders are full 😉

• admin 31/05/2015, 00:35

Interesting info about snakes that suck milk. Considering the ridgedness of their mouths, I wonder how they manage that 😉 !

• Tomas 16/09/2014, 22:39

Greetings! I know this is kind of off topic but I was wondering which blog platform are
    you using for this site? I’m getting sick and tired of
    Wordpress because I’ve had problems with
    hackers and I’m looking at alternatives for another platform.
    I would be fantastic if you could point me in the direction of a good platform.

• admin 18/09/2014, 00:35

Hello Tomas,
      This is also Wordpress using the Thesis Theme. I keep the site updated with the latest WP. Thesis is a fantastic theme.

• Ra 05/09/2014, 04:25

Yea …… I wonder what you gonna tell the Bodybuilders/Athletes about lowering their protein intake 😉 LOL !!!!! ………… Numerous studies haves shown that Whey protein (from milk) is good for you and protects against a whole lot of shi*. PS – If you are a Bodybuilder,Athlete etc, ……. there is no way around getting a high protein intake daily.

• admin 06/09/2014, 20:55

You don’t have to wonder at what I would tell Bodybuilders/Athletes regarding the protein intake. Haven’t you noticed? This is not a site about bodybuilding…that is a category of its own and they know what they need. This is a site for the ‘every day’ person. By the way, I wonder if you know that there are other sources of protein? Imagine that ‘Ra’…there are lactose intolerant bodybuilders who know about other sources. Guessing that you didn’t. 😉
      I’ve edited your profanity. It is not tolerated here.

• JPL 31/10/2013, 14:38

Don’t need to post this but you may find this site irresistible for future reference http://www.notmilk.com/

• JPL 31/10/2013, 14:32

I wanted to post a detailed response to the “source sought” group but decided it was a waste. Your article falls in line with all the health conscious resources available online today. As you stated “question reports and question why”, nicely written article, thanks.

• Lynx 13/10/2013, 03:26

Gosh, that pus idea sure is revolting but if we eat meat we can’t be too precious. I worry that the food we buy is all factory produced/farmed and we are unaware what is in it. Another worry is if we worry too much we will have less and less to choose as “good” food.
    After complications following fundoplication surgery, I am under (surgeon recommended) dietician’s directions to avoid simple sugar. Feeding myself is harder for me now. I am not overweight. I have cut sugar from my tea and avoid cakes, biscuits and ice-creams. (I crave it at times) I read also that I should avoid milk and have certainly cut right back. Milk is very sweet. Some fruit, especially oranges, cause me severe symptoms (dumping) but I can tolerate bananas. I am often a bit hungry and looking in the pantry.
    Growing up in Australia we in my family were never allowed to guzzle milk, we couldn’t ever use it to quench our thirsts. It was only for tea and coffee. We hardly had cheese. Butter was a scrape only. At 60 my bones are excellent. We had no takeaway food.
    Something is making many people fat and unhealthy. Milk (and cheese) may be a part of that and I do accept we have been sold this product as clean and healthy and essential when it is probably none of those. It is certainly a cruel industry. A bit of research into how the calves are taken from their mothers and used for the veal industry is saddening.
    PS Sorry….Typo loose for lose. “such as inability to loose weight”

• Dr. Anus 22/05/2013, 17:58

Great article, seems familiar. Really appreciate you displaying it for
    the internet.

I hope everyone understands that just because you don’t cite sources
    doesn’t mean you made it up off the top of your head. It’s not like
    someone could just type this stuff up without any statistical proof that
    what they were saying actually meant something.

I’ve been speaking with my patients for years about milk, vaccinations,
    and fluoride in our drinking water. One day they’ll understand it’s all
    about population control.

Look at how much money the Govt spends on subsidies for milk! It’s
    almost like they really believe all the empirical evidence that has been
    researched over the last 50 years that says ‘Milk does a body good!’ Boy
    we sure are getting hammered in the butt.

• admin 24/05/2013, 18:23

Thanks for copying your comment of May 17, 2013 and repeating it here. Since you did not answer my personal email to you, but choose to copy and paste your comment again, I have taken the liberty to edit it and remove your PS. I do not tolerate profanity or false accusations. Write me at the email address you have received from me rather than just copy and pasting again.

• Einat 15/05/2013, 15:49

Hello, i’m an Israeli student for naturapathy and looking for a study showing that dairy products adversely affect bone mass.
    please help me find one or more to complete my thesis.
    thank you!

• admin 24/05/2013, 18:32

Hello Einat. As you may have noticed from my responses to comments on this article, I wrote it many years ago. And, of course I did not keep my sources. This was way back in early 2000’s. I think what will help you in your search is to modify it to something like: effects of too much calcium and bones +dairy products (not much to find using ‘adverse’). I don’t trust all site that may show the info I personally am looking for just because they come up on the first page, however the following link below is a good one. A few of them are known to exaggerate or take facts out of context. Here is one from the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine that is an interesting source. Look for similar sites to help you with your thesis.

Good Luck!

• Dr. Tim 27/02/2013, 18:36

I appreciate your input and candor. I apologize for frequent “student” who needs you to cite sources so that they don’t need to find their own.

People need to understand that this is not a scientific article but an informational piece and I’m not trying to say you didn’t do your research because it is obvious to me. Ironically, it’s these same people that will believe any ol’ study spouted by the media but then question you.

I personally have been educating my patients to these ailments associated with milk for years. Some of the believe me, some of them don’t. It’s there choice but I know I have done my job.

With all of these problems there is still one that is huge that doesn’t cause us physical problems but does cause fiscal discomfort and that is that the U.S. spends in excess of $1.7B (yes with a B) on subsidies. That’s is a lot of money to not produce milk.

• admin 24/04/2013, 22:44

You are very kind, Dr. Tim and I appreciate your support. I think in future I will just suggest to the difficult posters to read my Disclaimer. It may amuse them…or not. It is so true what you say about some people believing anything out of the media and latest hype or never question re-hashed myths.

Thanks for your intelligent input!

• Redwing 08/01/2013, 19:02

Apart from human beings, no other adult animal on the planet naturally drinks milk, and as you point out none drink milk from another species. People can draw their own conclusions from this. No citations needed.

• Jay 30/09/2012, 07:31

Sources please, otherwise it’s all statements of opinion…..

• admin 02/02/2013, 23:41

Jay, perhaps you did not read my response to Aaron Andersen. Little on this site is my ‘opinion’. Most of it is experience, and a lot of digging, researching here and there. My site is here to inspire people. No one is paying me to run this site and as you can see, nothing is sold on this site either. I suggest you do you own open minded, research balanced with a little healthy skepticism, …like I do.

Be sure to take note of aaallllllll sources you ever run across just in case at one point you decide to write about a subject. You might be asked by people who want you to do their work for them…for free.

• Panait 25/03/2016, 12:58

really? have you raised cows? Because my father’s family did and I can tell you that the milk the cow produces for the calf (we call it “colastra”) is entirely different than normal milk which it produces constantly when she does not have a small calf. Do a little more research before stating factoids like this one.

• admin 25/03/2016, 17:51

“Colastra”, really? It’s colostrum (the first human mother milk too) and is the very first milk the calf gets within it’s first few hours of life. As the days continue the cow produces less colostrum and more ‘milk’ (much like humans). This can take up to the first one or two months of life or longer, depending on farm.

According to acquaintances of mine here in Spain who raise cows and goats for their unpasteurized artesian cheeses, they may let the calf suckle up to 6 months from the mother.

From my childhood in Germany, I remember horse drawn milk carts from the neighboring farm that would fill our small milk cans daily. That milk we simmered briefly before consumption. That was real milk. No antibiotics, no pesticides.

The milk industry often takes the calves away within a few days and then they are hand reared so they get used to human handling and bond very early with the humans feeding them and are fed unsellable milk, water and are slowly introduced to hay.

This article is not about rearing calves, but about the milk industry – clearly stated throughout the article. All ‘industrial milk’ is pasteurized. I like to think I have intelligent readers…and am sure they can read the label on milk cartons, ya know…the part about pasteurized?

I think I have addressed your comments from your three posts. The first post referring to milk given to a calf, I have deleted. I am neither poorly informed (as you see), nor a liar.

• D. Aaron Andersen 20/12/2011, 08:36

I noticed that you didn’t cite any sources. I’m particularly interested in seeing the 30 year Scandinavian study you mentioned. I have read a lot of articles like this and checked databases of research such as EBSCO and The Web of Science but so far I haven’t found a single citation or study that validates these claims. I’m rather conflicted about this subject. Hopefully you’ll be able to point me in the right direction.

• admin 08/08/2012, 20:55

Surely you are not assuming that studies and scientific papers are only in English…or that the only ones that are valid are in English? There are many, many studies ‘out there’ in official organizations that most likely will take years until they are translated and accepted by such places as EBSCO as you mention. I speak and read German and Spanish and have picked up in the past info that took YEARS until it appeared in scientific ENGLISH language peer group journals etc.

But I digress.

Here is just one link that may be helpful to you: http://informahealthcare.com/doi/abs/10.3109/00365599.2011.585622 . It is on the Scandinavian Journal of Urology and Nephrology site and you will note that the authors are Indian. In India, there are many, many studies on native herbs and spices even outside of the Ayurvedic medicine. Those papers are of course first in Hindi before eventually being translated into another language.

And I don’t even want to start on the Russian studies.

I suppose if I were being paid to write my articles and run my site, I would keep logs of the sources I use to add as footnotes. You, know…with my schedule, I know that extra work ‘ain’t going to happen’. This site is my personal passion and I would rather inspire people to do their own research.

Just please keep an open mind that EBSCO and The Web of Science are not the end authorities of validity. A lot gets left out for whatever reason or just isn’t there yet. A LOT of info never will get in if it goes too much against peer core beliefs.

• Gayis 13/03/2014, 18:19

do you know where the cultures came from? Most no-dairy yogtrus use cultures that started in a dairy strain, or vegan that often has corn or soy contamination.. sigh- she doesn’t tolerate the added ingredients in the So Delicious products, but if the active cultures were clean, I might be able to culture her own coconut milk yogurt at home.. 🙂

• Mary Lynn Laufer 21/05/2011, 03:45

Dear Patricia,
    I read your milk article with interest. I would like for you to extend your research to raw (unpasteurized) , and non-homogenized milk from grass-fed cows, which are not subjected to antibiotics, hormones etc. I think you will find that your objections do not apply to this real food. I think it is very important to distinguish the industrial milk products from traditional dairy products. After all some cultures have based their diets on dairy products for hundreds of years before industrial food impaired milk . People in these cultures were healthy, strong in mind and body. I am thinking for example of the Swiss, Mongols, and Masai. I base my comments on the work of Dr. Weston A. Price, who wrote Nutrition and Physical Degeneration. In the 1930’s he traveled to isolated parts of the world to investigate the dental health of people still eating traditional diets in places not yet exposed to industrial foods. Good sources of info are http://www.WestonAPrice.org or http://www.realmilk.com.
    Thank you for the excellent info on milk and I hope you will find the distinction between raw and pasteurized milk helpful.

Originally I came to your site to find out how to dose turmeric. I found your information very helpful, and more thorough than other sites I had found. Thank you.

Mary Lynn

• admin 25/08/2011, 19:06

You are quite right…my article addresses pasteurized, processed milk and the mega milk industry in general. Weston Price is a wonderful foundation and source of info. When I have time, I will address the distinciton between raw and highly processed milk…thanks for pointing it out.

Thanks for your comment re turmeric info on my site…glad it was helpful for you!

• Panait 25/03/2016, 13:00

yes, but people usually do not understand you address this type of milk. Could you update the article to specify that you mean pasteurised industrial milk?

• admin 25/03/2016, 17:56

It’s pretty clear in the article that I am not referring to artesian milk farms or private farms. The article is about the milk industry (which is always pasteurized) and in fact there is nothing new in it that cannot be found in many, many other sites and videos.

• Sara 16/10/2010, 04:53

Just wondering what your sources of information are?
    I am interested in doing my own background research and I’m looking for valid sources that support your stated claims around milk being bad for your health.

It appears that some of your statements are misleading or taken out of context. Skewing the data to read like milk is “causing” a number of illnesses is not to much unlike what you claim the milk industry has been doing for years.

Thanks,
    Sara

• admin 08/11/2010, 23:13

Hi Sara,
      Sorry I did not see this comment and am answering you so late.

I don’t think any of my comments are ‘skewing data’ as you suggest. My article is well researched and any point mentioned in it can be easily researched online with similar information.

As for causing or being the catalyst for several health problems, this is also well documented and easy to find in the search engines. I wrote this article years ago and no longer have my resources – but as I mentioned, an online – objective – search will help you to dig deeper.

The difference between the milk industry and my ‘claims’?

I don’t make any money off of this subject nor this article.

• Michelle 08/02/2013, 07:34

Oh and, I did read the reply to Aaron, and I agree with Jay below him, that sources are needed. I don’t think you can get off not citing sources just because there are none in english. If it’s being researched in other countries, it’s also being researched in english speaking countries. The science world is small and competitive, no one wants to make a good discovery after someone else.

• Ferd 10/12/2013, 02:13

Hi, good questions lead to good discussions, thanks. Try reading ,
      ‘The China Study” , look for their findings regarding milk. There is also a T. Colin Campbell youtube presentation, watch the entire 55 minutes, it will blow your sox off. Very credible stuff, esp. this guy grew up on a dairy farm. Keep smilin’

• admin 08/08/2012, 19:02

Do you really think I make up the statistics? I invite you to go back and reread my article. Of course there are other sources of calcium…and that is PART of the point of my article.

The connection between excessive milk consumption and osteoporosis is well documented. It is a paradox to the public (but known to the industry)…however, keep in mind that the milk industry is HUGE…so of course they will push that image of ‘milk is good for you’.

Yes, there are better sources of bio available calcium…as mentioned in my article and as you pointed out.

So…the point of your comment was…?