Dosage and Method: Turmeric

turmeric powder in coconut oilHow:  always with some fat or oil as it is lipophilic (oil soluble).  I use coconut oil.

How much:  For adults the official recommendation is up to 1.5 g. daily which will be about one very slightly rounded teaspoon which can be divided over two to three doses daily.  Therapeutic doses are considered to be 2-3 g. See cautions below.  Not recommended for small children under two.  For older children and those over 65, start with a low dose. There are varying opinions as to the dosage and confusion between the active ingredient curcumin and turmeric doses.

According to research, piperine, the active ingredient in black pepper will increase significantly the bio-availability of curcumin by 2000%.

Tea/drinks:  Some people like to take it as a tea, adding a little coconut oil and black pepper.   Others like to take it in warm milk with honey (Golden Milk recipe here) or hot cocoa.

Capsules:  Curcumin (the active ingredient in Turmeric) is available in capsule form.  Personally, I am not a fan of taking herbs (or spices) in such a concentrated active-ingredient-only-form.  This is not what nature intended nor herbal medicine traditions which understood the importance of the synergy of the whole plant matter, be it seeds, leaf, bark or root.  However, please consider organic turmeric which it may be quite helpful for therapeutic short term uses as a massive dosing therapy.  ‘Short term’ is the key word.  See cautions below.

Food:  A great way to take it, a curry is perhaps the best food method – but do you eat curry daily and with medicinal amounts of turmeric? I doubt it.  However, I have added turmeric throughout the day in my yoghurt, muesli, some soups, salad dressings and other dishes.  It gets a bit ‘old’ after a while and invariably I return to my favourite way which is in yogurt.

Fat/oil:  This is my modus operandi and part of my morning routine.  Two teaspoons of coconut oil (turns solid in winter so I warm it a little) to one teaspoon of turmeric which will equal the recommended dose of  1g daily.  I add a good few turns of black pepper (for the piperine). This is most likely about 1/8 teaspoon.

Caution regarding therapeutic doses:

• Turmeric is used to lower blood sugar and may be problematic for diabetics taking diabetic medicines and hypoglycemics.
    • Turmeric also lowers blood pressure in high doses.  Do not take with herbs that have similar effect nor with chemical drugs such as antihypertensives that artificially lower the blood pressure.
    • It lowers the LDL (‘bad cholesterol) and raises the HDL (‘good cholesterol) and will boost the effect of chemical cholesterol lowering drugs.  Not a good idea.
    • It is a blood thinner and not to be taken in conjunction with such chemical blood thinners such as warfarin, coumadin, clopidogrel, or even aspirin, do not ingest turmeric in any form in more than low doses.
    • Therapeutic doses of turmeric taken with moderate to high doses of Ginko biloboa or garlic, all of which have blood thinning properties, should not be taken at the same time.
    • If you do take high doses of turmeric, stop at least a week prior to surgery (because it is a blood thinner).
    • May cause nausea if taken on an empty stomach.
    • People having problems with the gall bladder or gall stones should avoid therapeutic doses of turmeric as it increases the bile production.
    • High doses may stimulate uterine contractions and menstrual flow.

It is worth considering that many people have successfully either weaned themselves off chemical drugs or at least lowered the doses over time. This also means, avoided the inevitable side effects of long term pharmaceuticals.

Warning!  Super food turmeric may seriously improve your health.  Read more about turmeric benefits – Spice:  Turmeric – Beyond Curry

Be sure to purchase your herb and spices from non-irradiated, organic and reliable sources for the full health benefit.  Grocery store herbs are good enough for seasoning but most likely have been radiated.  One company I have come to trust is “Simply Organic”.

———-

Therapeutic doses of most any herbal preparation is seldom intended for long term use and were never intended to be used in that way.  Obviously, long term chemical ‘solutions’ have also negative effects.  Many herbalists and Naturopathic practitioners recommend taking breaks of a few weeks from any long term herb use.  However, some people eventually ease themselves off of pharmaceuticals and are happy with the results using natural methods and just as importantly, a healthier lifestyle.  Your health practioner (read my interpretation of that and my disclaimer here) should be consulted.

——————

Small selection of references:

•  Shapiro K, Gong WC. Natural products used for diabetes. Journal of the American Pharmaceutical Association. 2002;42(2):217–226. [PubMed]
  •  Gobert CP, Duncan AM. Consumption, perceptions and knowledge of soy among adults with type 2 diabetes. Journal of the American College of Nutrition. 2009;28(2):203–218. [PubMed]
  •  Jiang CS, Liang LF, Guo YW. Natural products possessing protein tyrosine phosphatase 1B (PTP1B) inhibitory activity found in the last decades. Acta Pharmacologica Sinica. 2012;33(10):1217–1245. [PubMed]
  • Nolan CJ, Damm P, Prentki M. Type 2 diabetes across generations: from pathophysiology to prevention and management. The Lancet. 2011;378(9786):169–181. [PubMed]
  • Aggarwal BB, Sundaram C, Malani N, Ichikawa H. Curcumin: the Indian solid gold. Advances in Experimental Medicine and Biology. 2007;595:1–75. [PubMed]
  • Kolev TM, Velcheva EA, Stamboliyska BA, Spiteller M. DFT and experimental studies of the structure and vibrational spectra of curcumin. International Journal of Quantum Chemistry. 2005;102(6):1069–1079.
  • Perez-Torres I, Ruiz-Ramirez A, Banos G, El-Hafidi M. Hibiscus sabdariffa Linnaeus (Malvaceae), curcumin and resveratrol as alternative medicinal agents against metabolic syndrome. Cardiovascular & Hematological Agents in Medicinal Chemistry. 2013;11(1):25–37. [PubMed]
  • Goel A, Kunnumakkara AB, Aggarwal BB. Curcumin as “Curecumin”: from kitchen to clinic. Biochemical Pharmacology. 2008;75(4):787–809. [PubMed]

232 comments… add one

• Cecilia 15/12/2014, 14:30

Wow! This has been a superb eye opener! I really appreciate the wealth of invaluable information contained in this article. It’s really helpful.

Thank you so much for taking your time to help so many of us.

• admin 15/12/2014, 15:21

Thank you Cecilia for your kind words!

• Gwen 07/12/2014, 15:49

Oh can I use flaxseed oil with the tumeric?

• Gwen carter 07/12/2014, 15:46

Just read all comments and your responses to the use of tumeric/cur cumin. Left me very enlightened. I have been doing some research into the use of tumeric for pain and cardiovascular health and was so confused till now, good work THANKS Gwen

• admin 09/12/2014, 00:39

You are welcome and thanks for the kind words. You can certainly use flaxsed oil but please make sure that it is refrigerated and fresh. It has a very short shelf life and in fact begins to get rancid almost as soon as it leaves the processing plant.

• Gwen 07/12/2014, 15:37

Great stuff, re tumeric.

• vivian 02/12/2014, 22:06

Hi I have high blood pressure and i take a combonation blood pressure and water pill. im trying to find a way to lower my blood pressure naturally, im going to contiue to take my meds but will turmeric help me lower my blood pressure.

• admin 02/12/2014, 23:15

Hello,
      Yes, it will lower blood pressure. Just be aware that taking medical doses of turmeric along with your pharma meds will increase their effect. This may not be desireable and result in a sudden drop. For me, it is either or…but that is me. If I were on such meds, I would slowly ease myself off of them and slowly increase the turmeric. Do read my disclaimer regarding my opinions ;-) .
      There are many known hypertension lowering natural solutions…such as cayenne, olive leaf extract (besides turmeric my favourite…again, it is either or) almonds.

• vivian calcote 03/12/2014, 15:23

thank you!!!

• admin 09/12/2014, 00:46

You are welcome!

• Alethea 25/11/2014, 00:14

This is great. I found just what I was having a look for.
    You’ve ended my four day lengthy hunt! God Bless
    you man. Have a great day. Bye

• admin 02/12/2014, 22:54

Thanks!

• Lynne N 13/11/2014, 11:37

I put 1/2 teaspoon of organic turmeric and Ceylon cinnamon spice in my breakfast smoothie of berries, spinach, ginger, and other things with homemade almond milk. I use stevia to sweeten it a bit, and it is marvelous. I sometimes add some raw apple cider vinegar. Yummy, the vinegar gives a big boost to the sweetness for some reason, and, of course is good for you also, I think.

• admin 23/11/2014, 18:44

Great ideas…thanks!

• andre harris 12/12/2014, 16:07

sounds great, but recently health authorities reported that eating a lot of cinnamon wasn’t good for the health

• admin 13/12/2014, 10:23

This is partially true…however, depending on which “health authority” no distinction is made between the cinnamons – all is assumed to be the problematic one. This is one of the classic problems with the medical/pharma world – dumping everything in one pot.

Very often, the cinnamon purchased in supermarkets is cassia (Cinnamomum cassia)…it is intense in flavour (though not better)and much cheaper. It contains high amounts of coumarin (roughly 5%) and this is the problem. It is not a problem in smaller quantities, like a teaspoon in a cake recipe (more dough/batter ratio to cinnamon used)…but can be when used as a medicinal spice in high quantities or in recipes such as the famous cinnamon Christmas cookies/biscuits which is little dough and a LOT of cinnamon and ground nuts.

Warnings are always pushed especially around the holiday season especially when cinnamon biscuits, candies high in such could possibly be eaten in large quantities by children.

True cinnamon has negligable amounts of coumarin. For use in high quantities, I recommend ordering from a reputable company who identifies the product by the botanical name Cinnamomum zeylanicum (sometimes referred to by the newer botanical name Cinnamomum verum) or Ceylon cinnamon.

I am glad you brought this up. Here is full info on the two main cinnamon types with photos as well. Click here.

Thanks for your timely comment, Andre!

• Miss Joy 13/11/2014, 02:32

I have been taking 1/4 teaspoon of Tumeric mixed in lukewarm water 2x a day. Last night I took it and fell asleep and then was awaken by HORRID stomach burning and pain. I still feel it now but not as bad. Did I take it wrong? I mean it was so bad heart burn that felt like fire as well. Any advise as to what I did wrong?

• admin 23/11/2014, 18:48

Hello,
      So sorry to hear you had this problem. A quarter teaspoon should not have caused this effect especially since you indicate you had been taking it all along.. Hmmm…perhaps took it on an empty stomach? Even so, this should not have caused heart burn. Btw, it MUST be taken with some kind of healthy fat/oil. Please have a look again at my articles on turmeric. I missed your comment, sorry for the delay!

• Dawinder Sethi 04/11/2014, 00:12

I have been taking 3 curcumin capsule contents, mixed in milk. I also add black pepper and olive oil and heat this mixture in microwave. However, I have started feeling congestion in my throat. Can I replace milk with water and start taking it, once a day? Please advise.

• admin 23/11/2014, 18:54

Hello Dawinder,
      Yes, you certainly can take it with water, but you might also enjoy using oat or almond milk as a replacement for the cow’s milk. And…in my opinion it would be better to avoid the microwave. It only takes a few minutes using the traditional method. Excellent that you are taking it with black pepper, obviously you know the piperine in black pepper significantly boosts the effect of turmeric. However, heating of any kind lowers the effectiveness progressively of piperine. It must be added AFTER heating…just stir it well in. Thanks for your question!

• Dawinder Sethi 10/12/2014, 03:26

I thank you for clarifying and guiding to avoid microwave.

I have read at various websites that curcumin is safe. Myself & my wife are taking it for last 2 months and have also found it safe. Further, we have also observed that it is helping in providing relief in Osteoarthritis and is lowering blood-sugar levels also.

I seek your guidance as to how long, means number of years we can take it as for Osteoarthritis we may need to continue 2 yrs or more.

Also, Curcumin caps are quite costly esp if one has to take for long period of time. If we substitute it with Turmeric, which is available at grocery stores, then what should be the ideal dosage?

With regards,
      Dawinder

• admin 11/12/2014, 23:39

Hello Darwinder,
        You will find the recommended dosages in this article. You can take it quite long term, as long as you have no gallbladder problems or blocked bile production. In my opinion, take the turmeric at the dose that helps you for a few weeks, then try to reduce it a little at a time over a few more weeks so you find the minimum dose that is effective. Always take it with pepper and an oil/fat source as explained here.
        I don’t recommend supermarket quality as you cannot be assured that it has not been adulterated – meaning the curcumin removed and coloured filler added. There are skrupulous companies that do that and sell the curcumin to supplement manufacturers. Buy organic to be sure (in bulk amounts it will be cheaper).
        Watch for an article soon on how to test for adulterated turmeric – better yet, sign up for my newsletter and get advised of new articles. ;-)

• Dawinder Sethi 16/12/2014, 18:17

Hi,

I very much appreciate your prompt reply. I will follow your advice. Thanks.

Regards,

Dawinder Sethi

• admin 16/12/2014, 18:57

You are welcome, Dawinder!

• Bhoj Raj Tiwari 24/10/2014, 13:58

Hi,
    i am bhoj raj tiwari sarcoidosis patient from 2007.I am having steroid every year for 6 month from 2007.I have heard that turmeric and ginger can help for the sarc. disease so can you suggest me how much quantity is good and howmany times i can take in a day also as well as ginger?

Regards,
    Bhojraj

• admin 30/10/2014, 11:37

Hello Bhoj,
      I am still travelling at the moment but will answer your question when I get back.

• dunn nc 22/10/2014, 20:46

Pretty great post. I simply stumbled upon your blog and
    wanted to say that I have really enjoyed browsing your blog posts.
    After all I’ll be subscribing in your rss feed and I am
    hoping you write once more soon!

• admin 30/10/2014, 11:33

Thanks for your kind words :-)

• Agustin Teves 16/10/2014, 14:18

Good day Sir,

I hope you can help me with this. I come up with a tea with the combination of turmeric 1/4 teaspoon, 1/8 teaspoon of black pepper, few slice ginger.. i boiled this in a cup of water, I inhaled the steam from the boil for 5 mins. then i put it a cup add 1 teaspoon honey.. then drink, then i after, i chew a slice garlic with honey… just last night i took i can hardly sleep. when i woke up this morning. my chest is kind of heavy, a little heart palpitation, its a feeling like there is a pressure inside my chest, or slightly feelin warm.. its disturbing me . Am i doing the right thing? or making a problem by taking this.. pleease advise me im really concern of my health. thank you.

sincerely,
    Agustin Teves

• admin 19/10/2014, 23:58

Hello Agustin,
      I’ve sent you a private email regarding your questions.

• Ezenwoke Oscar 06/12/2014, 09:23

can I use turmeric as food additive to seafood if yes what is the quantity recommended for human consumption

• admin 09/12/2014, 00:45

Hello Oscar,
          I don´t quite understand what you mean. Did you mean feeding fish and shellfish turmeric? In that case, I have not a clue. Did you mean cooking seafood…in that case certainly such as in a prawn curry…add whatever amount is called for in the recipe. If you have any question about the medicinal or maintenance amounts for your health…you will find that in this article.

• Ezenwoke Oscar 14/12/2014, 14:46

as turmeric has an antimicrobial effect can I use it as an additive on a can snail which I am experimenting on

• admin 14/12/2014, 22:18

Hello Oscar,
              I am afraid I haven’t a clue of what you mean…”additive on a can snail you are experimenting on”????

• kathy 13/10/2014, 18:31

Most of all, thank you – the information you present is clear and enlightening I make my own raw goat milk kefir, limit wheat in my diet, and watch my eating habits. I would like to add turmeric to my diet.
    My question is, I had my gall bladder removed 25 years ago because of stones. Should I be careful about adding this spice?
    Any information would be greatly appreciated.

• admin 14/10/2014, 00:24

Thanks, Kathy for your kind words! Glad to hear of your healthy choices. Personally, I feel there would not be a problem taking turmeric and enjoying its broad benefits after having the gall bladder removed. In fact, here is a link that substantiates that regarding testing post-op patients: http://fyiliving.com/research/use-of-turmeric-for-postop-symptoms-after-laparoscopic-gallbladder-surgery/

I have never ran across literature warning about taking turmeric after a gall bladder removal. The only warnings involving the gall bladder were when there were gall stones or gall bladder problems…which is not your case anymore. Hope this helps!

• admin 23/11/2014, 19:03

Kathy, it looks like my answer to your question has disappeared. I apologize for this delay. Raw goat milk kefir…wonderful! In my opinion, since you had your gall bladder removed, there should be no problem. The known problem with using turmeric when gallbladder stones are present is that it encourages bile production…which in the case of a gallbladder full of stones, this is not a good idea. I can only say that if I had mine removed, I would continue using it for all the other fantastic properties. There are plenty of studies on turmeric use after gallbladder removal.

• Rose 06/10/2014, 06:45

My question is I have RSD does turmeric help with that and can u use olive oil instead of coconut oil

• admin 07/10/2014, 21:01

Hello Rose,
      So sorry to hear of your RSD (Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome for those unaware). I have read that turmeric has helped people with RSD but as I am sure you are aware of, each person is different as to intensity and how long you have had it. Although the literature I have read points out that healing RSD is more successful within the first 3 months (the traditional time frame set to define an ailment as chronic), those who have had it longer have found relief as well. This may be in a combination of herbs with turmeric or other combination. Here are a few links for you to consider:
      http://rsdecoding.com/tag/turmeric/ This one is by an RSD sufferer. See her 30 Nov 2012 post. Perhaps you can contact her for help.

However, besides turmeric I would also highly suggest trying trans-dermal magnesium chloride. Trans-dermal (liquid magnesium chloride absorbed through the skin) is the best, most effective and on the long run cheapest way to take the best KIND of magnesium for the body. It has a far longer effect than magnesium sulfate (Epsom salts). Liquid magnesium chloride is also called magnesium ‘oil’…although it is no oil. It just has a slippery feel until it is absorbed. It has many, many benefits.

Any magnesium taken orally is very inefficient as it goes through the digestive system first and so higher doses are required for any benefits…which ends up being expensive on the long run. It also must be well balanced with the correct kind of calcium to make it more bioavailable.

Today, the earth and vegetables we eat from it is depleted in minerals and it is known that especially in the western world almost everyone suffers from some degree of low magnesium levels in the blood. Please read more about it here:

I have no association with any of the links above. But I have personally used the Ancient Minerals ‘oil’ and find them reliable and an excellent source of solid information, even though they sell the product. There is plenty of research on the lack of magnesium…and it could very well be that in the case of RSD and similar that because the body lacks sufficient magnesium that the cells and hence nerves ‘misfire’ signals to the brain (pain bursts) even though a prior injury was not that severe or that the injury is long healed but the nerves keep sending signals of pain to the brain.

What I would do if I were you? I would try one course for several weeks (turmeric or magnesium oil first) and see how I do before switching to the other. In this way, you know exactly what is helping you and proceeding rather ‘hit and miss’. After trying both singly first, and if still no real results, try taking both.

I would love to hear back from you whether one or the other has helped you. I sincerely wish you well!
      (Please see my disclaimer here )

• admin 15/10/2014, 10:48

Ooops…sorry Rose. Yes, you can use any oil you prefer, not just coconut oil.

• Endurance 04/10/2014, 16:59

Thank you Epicureandigest for the wealth of information on your site.
    Is it true that turmeric is capable to slow down and even reverse retinitis pigmentosa, a degenerative retina disease? I would appreciate if you could point to other sources of information on this painful and frightening subject–blindness. THANK YOU!

• admin 07/10/2014, 21:24

Hello,
      There is limited literature regarding turmeric (using the active ingredient curcumin) for treating retinitis pigmentosa successfully. Studies show success in some types of the disease, so this is hopeful. However, as to how much…I really don’t know.

However, in your case I would recommend doing an internet search for dmso and retinitis pigmentosa you will be pleasantly surprised. There are studies dating back to the 60’s regarding greatly helping and even reversing RP.

Please let me know which path you decide to take and the outcome!

• Sandra 13/09/2014, 20:43

Hi there I used the turmeric fir the first time today.2 questions is it good for all types of cancer and can you body feel funny the first time u consume the turmeric I use it in a organic tea and coconut oil mixed together.

• admin 18/09/2014, 00:42

Hello Sandra,
      Turmeric has been used for many types of cancer but I can’t say if for all…there are so many! The mechanism by which it works ‘should’ work on all types I should think…but this is just my opinion. As to how you felt after your first time, it depends on dose. You did not mention how much. More is not always better and ‘feeling funny’ is quite vague. If you took a very large medicinal dose as a first time, you may have an upset stomach or other discomfort. Without knowing more, I can’t really help you on that. Sorry.

• Allie 13/09/2014, 08:50

My favorite prep for turmeric is dal tadka – lentils with a flavoring. Just boil lentils until soft, then add a portion of oil heated with spices. Turmeric, garlic, ginger makes a good start. I also love lemon juice with lentils. This is a little easier than a full-fledged curry, vegan or vegetarian for those who care, and gets that wonderful fiber benefit from legumes as well as the good stuff from as many spices as you care to add!

• admin 18/09/2014, 00:36

It’s delicious that way too. Love it!

• Linda C. 09/09/2014, 20:17

What an informative site!!!! Thank you SO much for your explanations and valuable knowledge. I started juicing in December, adding the fresh ground turmeric. I don’t know if it is because I have stopped using refined sugars or because of the GOOD stuff, but my joints are no longer on fire and have good flex. I am SOLD that natural is the best way to go, and realize there is SO much still to learn. Again….thank you for sharing your knowledge!

• admin 10/09/2014, 17:49

Thanks for your kind words. I write for readers like you and value your feedback.
      Juicing is alkalizing for the body and turmeric is such a multi-talented wonder so I am not surprised that your joints are happier. I will be updating this article with additional info I come across frequently and have dug deeper into. Possibly tonight or tomorrow at latest. So, I suggest you either check back or subscribe to my newsletter (and free ebook) for first hand updates and more great info!

• Http://Mzy.In/Comescoprirelanonimosuask212076 09/09/2014, 19:20

Aw, this was a really nice post. Taking the time and actual effort to create a top notch
    article… but what can I say… I put things off a whole
    lot and don’t manage to get nearly anything done.

• admin 10/09/2014, 17:56

Thanks, glad you like the article. Be sure to check back within a few days for an important update to the information, or subscribe (and get a free ebook) for firsthand updates and more.

• Matt 02/09/2014, 03:26

Hi, good site. I picked up some USDA Organic Turmeric by Nature’s Place from the spice rack in the organic section of the store. I have no health ailments but want to take it as a supplement. What would you consider the recommended dose be and should it be taken daily? Thank you for your feedback.

• admin 06/09/2014, 21:14

Hello Matt,
      In the article you will find that I mentioned the dose a few times…but I will sum it up for you. Recommended is up to 1.5 gram – so let’s say 1 to 1.5 gr. 1 gr. is roughly a level teaspoon. Please read again – very important – the How: and the the Fat/oil: section regarding the bio-availability. You’re welcome!

• shanu 30/08/2014, 21:16

This blog is amazing! I am currently taking one teaspoon turmeric twice daily and i feel great but recently i had boils on my skin and i don’t know why.. can overdose of turmeric cause boils? and can i take black pepper turmeric and honey together? if yes please tell me the dosage.. thank you :)

• admin 01/09/2014, 01:40

Hello Shanu,
      Thank you for your kind words :-) You did not mention why you take two teaspoons daily – for maintenance or a health issue. Be sure to take a break from it or any long term natural product (see last paragraph). Regarding the boils, I don’t see any connection between turmeric and boils which are caused by an infection of a hair follicle or oil gland. In fact, turmeric is also used in treating boils.
      Black pepper, turmeric and honey together – why not? Sounds good to me! I have used that combination in my yoghurt, sometimes replacing the honey for pure maple syrup! As far as dosage, from my understanding, one only needs a little of black pepper to assist in making the turmeric more bioavailable…and I am told it should be fresh, coarse grated…not the pre-ground powdered variety. The amount of honey is up to your personal taste.
      I will be updating the turmeric articles with new important info and tips. If you subscribe you will be notified of updates and new articles…or just keep checking back. I am travelling just now and internet connection is not easy.