Dosage and Method: Turmeric

turmeric dosage and methodConfused by conflicting information about dosage and method for turmeric?  You are not alone.  It’s one of the most asked questions I received in the past from my readers.  Dosage really depends on your goal, whether for a particular health problem or for maintenance.

How:  Always with fresh ground black pepper (see below why) and some fat or non-inflammatory oil as it is lipophilic (oil soluble).  I use coconut oil.  For optimal absorption, always take it with food.  Non-inflammatory oils come from the fruit of a plant and not the seeds (such as walnut, olive or coconut).

How much:  For adults the official recommendation is up to 1.5 g. daily which will be about one very slightly rounded half teaspoon which can be divided over two to three doses daily.  Therapeutic doses are considered to be 2-3 g. See cautions below.  Not recommended for small children under two.  For older children and those over 65, start with a low dose. There are varying opinions as to the dosage and confusion between the active ingredient curcumin and turmeric doses.  For these amounts, a few good grinds of pepper is sufficient (roughly 1/16 tsp. per 3 g. turmeric).  It’s not rocket science so don’t worry about exactness.

If you are just starting out with turmeric powder, try 1/4 tsp. twice a day for several days before increasing to the suggested dose.

According to research, piperine, the active ingredient in black pepper will increase significantly the bio-availability of curcumin by 2000% (or put differently, 20 times more bio-available.). “Piperine enhances the serum concentration, extent of absorption and bio-availability of curcumin.”  Turmeric has poor bioavailability due to its rapid metabolism in the liver and intestinal walls.  Piperine works via various mechanisims that enhance absorption of ALL nutrients.

Tea/drinks:  Some people like to take it as a tea, adding a little coconut oil and black pepper.   Others like to take it in warm milk with honey (Golden Milk recipe here) or hot cocoa.

Capsules:  Curcumin (the active ingredient in turmeric) is available in capsule form.  Personally, I am not a fan of taking herbs (or spices) in such a concentrated active-ingredient-only-form.  This is not what nature intended nor herbal medicine traditions which understood the importance of the synergy of the whole plant matter, be it seeds, leaf, bark or root.  However, please consider organic turmeric which it may be quite helpful for therapeutic short term uses as a massive dosing therapy.  ‘Short term’ is the key word.  See cautions below.  Note:  There is much confusion about turmeric capsules on many websites and even companies selling them.  Read the label.  Is it whole turmeric powder or in large letters TURMERIC or turmeric extract but somewhere in smaller print ‘curcumin’? Turmeric extract is curcumin.

Food:  A great way to take it, a curry is perhaps the best food method – but do you eat curry daily and with medicinal amounts of turmeric? I doubt it.  However, I have added turmeric throughout the day in my yogurt, muesli, some soups, salad dressings and other dishes.  It gets a bit ‘old’ after a while and invariably I return to my favourite way which is in yogurt where the flavour nearly disappears.  There is no problem for pregnant or breastfeeding women to take turmeric in normal amounts for cooking.  Asian and Indian women have been doing it since millennia.

Fat/oil:  This is my modus operandi and part of my morning routine.  One teaspoon of coconut oil (turns solid in winter so I warm it a little) to  1/2 teaspoon of turmeric.  I add a good few turns of black pepper (for the piperine). This is most likely about 1/8 teaspoon. I repeat this in the afternoon.  These two doses will equal the recommended dose of  1g daily.  Of course you can use any non-inflammatory oil, however coconut oil is my personal favourite.
Lately, I have been using one dollop of full fat real yogurt (about one tablespoon) without the coconut oil to which I stir in the rest.

Many people follow the attitude that ‘more is better’.  This is a huge mistake as turmeric is BEST absorbed in smaller doses throughout the day.  Huge doses at once will simply be wasted.  Bio-availability of the curcumin is a real problem that must be taken seriously.  Take it as suggested WITH the black pepper as explained above and the dose you take will be far better absorbed.

Please reread all the above information before you comment.  I will not answer comments that obviously show not having read this article fully (such as: how much should I take or I just take it with water, is this ok?).  I will gladly answer any other questions to clarify the article or those you may have for your unique health situation, if I can.

Caution regarding therapeutic doses (of turmeric powder and in particular curcumin supplementation):

• Turmeric is used to lower blood sugar and may be problematic for diabetics taking diabetic medicines and hypoglycemics.
    • Turmeric also lowers blood pressure in high doses.  Do not take with herbs that have similar effect nor with chemical drugs such as antihypertensives that artificially lower the blood pressure.  It’s either one or the other.
    • It lowers the LDL (‘bad cholesterol) and raises the HDL (‘good cholesterol) and will boost the effect of chemical cholesterol lowering drugs.  Taken together, not a good idea.  Consider your choices. See statement in bold below.
    • Theraputic doses of turmeric can act as a blood thinner and is not to be taken in conjunction with such chemical blood thinners such as warfarin, coumadin, clopidogrel, or even aspirin, do not ingest turmeric in any form in more than low doses.  In normal usage and doses, it is on a par with aspirin or Ibuprofen and is not a problem.
    • Therapeutic doses of turmeric taken with moderate to high doses of Ginko biloboa or garlic, all of which have blood thinning properties, should not be taken at the same time.
    • If you do take therapeutic doses of turmeric, stop 48 prior to surgery (some sites advise 2 weeks…this is not necessary).
    • May cause nausea if taken on an empty stomach.
    • If you are having problems with bile duct obstruction,  gall bladder or gall stones,   avoid therapeutic doses of turmeric as it stimulates the liver to produce more bile.
    • If you are susceptible to kidney stones, curcumin can increase calcium oxalate excretion.
    • High, therapeutic doses may stimulate uterine contractions and menstrual flow.  In other words, if you are pregnant do not take therapeutic doses, however normal use is fine.
    • Therapeutic doses may lower blood sugar.  This is not a problem for diabetics who regularly check their sugar levels and can adjust their insulin or food intake accordingly.

Therapeutic doses of most any herbal preparation is seldom intended for long term use and were never intended to be used in that way.  Obviously, long term chemical ‘solutions’ have also negative effects.  Many herbalists and naturopathic practitioners recommend taking breaks of a few weeks from any therapeutic long term herb use.  However, some people eventually ease themselves off of pharmaceuticals and are happy with the results using natural methods and just as importantly, a healthier lifestyle.  Your health practitioner (read my interpretation of that and my disclaimer here) should be consulted.

**Since turmeric is primarily a food supplement and considered an adaptogenic herb by many herbalists especially by Ayurvedic practitioners, it is considered an exception to the rule.  “Taking a break” from therapeutic doses of turmeric simply means reduce the amount to normal maintenance of roughly 1/4 tsp. once or twice daily for a few weeks.  Add it as a condiment to your food.  Thus, turmeric can be taken daily by varying the dose every few months.  You can also add equal amounts of ginger powder during lower dose periods.  Read about ginger here. Follow links at the bottom of that article for more on ginger.**

This article is but a fraction of the deeply researched information in my 51 page Ultimate Turmeric Guide and Protocol.  Please click on the graphic for it on this page for more info.

Warning!  Super food turmeric may seriously improve your health.

More related posts: Turmeric – Take It With Food and Why       Turmeric – Does Your Supply Pass the Test

Be sure to purchase your herb and spices from non-irradiated, organic and reliable sources for the full health benefit.  Grocery store herbs are good enough for seasoning but most likely have been radiated.  One company I have come to trust is “Simply Organic”.

It is worth considering that many people have successfully either weaned themselves off chemical drugs or at least lowered the doses over time. This also means, avoided the inevitable side effects of long term pharmaceuticals.  Consult with a health practitioner who is knowledgeable in natural methods, especially turmeric, about your dosage and method.

——————

Small selection of references:

•  Shapiro K, Gong WC. Natural products used for diabetes. Journal of the American Pharmaceutical Association. 2002;42(2):217–226. [PubMed]
  •  Gobert CP, Duncan AM. Consumption, perceptions and knowledge of soy among adults with type 2 diabetes. Journal of the American College of Nutrition. 2009;28(2):203–218. [PubMed]
  •  Jiang CS, Liang LF, Guo YW. Natural products possessing protein tyrosine phosphatase 1B (PTP1B) inhibitory activity found in the last decades. Acta Pharmacologica Sinica. 2012;33(10):1217–1245. [PubMed]
  • Nolan CJ, Damm P, Prentki M. Type 2 diabetes across generations: from pathophysiology to prevention and management. The Lancet. 2011;378(9786):169–181. [PubMed]
  • Aggarwal BB, Sundaram C, Malani N, Ichikawa H. Curcumin: the Indian solid gold. Advances in Experimental Medicine and Biology. 2007;595:1–75. [PubMed]
  • Kolev TM, Velcheva EA, Stamboliyska BA, Spiteller M. DFT and experimental studies of the structure and vibrational spectra of curcumin. International Journal of Quantum Chemistry. 2005;102(6):1069–1079.
  • Perez-Torres I, Ruiz-Ramirez A, Banos G, El-Hafidi M. Hibiscus sabdariffa Linnaeus (Malvaceae), curcumin and resveratrol as alternative medicinal agents against metabolic syndrome. Cardiovascular & Hematological Agents in Medicinal Chemistry. 2013;11(1):25–37. [PubMed]
  • Goel A, Kunnumakkara AB, Aggarwal BB. Curcumin as “Curecumin”: from kitchen to clinic. Biochemical Pharmacology. 2008;75(4):787–809. [PubMed]
582 comments… add one
  • Rick 27/11/2016, 16:55

I will be interested in how well this works. Have medicated for years with higher doses of NSAID’s. Creatinine levels recently rose and doctor advised discontinuing those. Significant lower back, piriformis and knee pains now. Hopefully this will address the inflammation issue I am now fighting. Thanks!

• admin 28/11/2016, 01:10

Hello Rick!
      I know you will be very pleasantly surprised once you work up to the dose that will work for you. Now that you have my Turmeric Guide (thank you for your purchase!), you will find the various protocols to help you. Great that you are fighting back! IMHO, I would consider adding cinnamon along with your turmeric..about 1/8 tsp. at a time and be sure it is true Ceylon cinnamon. Cinnamon can also help reduce creatinine levels and works synergistically with turmeric.

• Lin 25/11/2016, 20:43

As I read that the dose should be 1-3 grams per day, I needed to work out how much that was and I found that one level ¼ teaspoon weighed 2 grams. You say 2 x ½ teaspoons equal 1g.

• admin 26/11/2016, 00:33

Hello Lin,
      1/4 teaspoon weighing 2 grams is impossible! I use a digital diamond scale and my weights agree with this spice/gram conversion: http://www.traditionaloven.com/foods/exchange/tsp/g-gram/spice-turmeric-ground.html

Having said that, keep in mind that UK,US and Australian spoon sizes may vary but not that terribly much. In any case, it is a food supplement and approximates are quite ok. But, perhaps check the battery of your scale, or possibly it is not sensitive enough to weigh such a small amount. This is quite often a problem. Obviously I am just speculating.

Use this link for calculating how many (water weight) grams in a standard teaspoon. http://www.convertunits.com/from/teaspoons/to/grams 1 tsp= 5 gr…3 tsp = 1 tablespoon = 15 gr. In this way you could check your own spoons.

I hope this helps.

• Nichole Nichole 22/11/2016, 05:37

I take a tablespoon of turmeric and add it to a glass of warm broth. Other then turning things yellow you can’t taste it at all. I’ll now be making sure to add in black pepper.

• admin 22/11/2016, 11:19

Nichole, that is a good way to take it…as long as there is some fat/oil in it and yes, the freshly ground pepper as well. Please re-read the paragraph above the information in blue. You are wasting 3/4 of your turmeric.
      My ebook The Ultimate Turmeric Guide and Protocol has a detailed section in it about the science behind too much turmeric at once.

• JoAnn P 20/11/2016, 22:46

I have high platlets and my doctor said to take a chemo drug(hydroxurea). I have been taking my tumeric in my smoothie and in my nighttime drink before bed for years. Should I be taking a break?
    I cook my tumeric with water ..coconut oil and pepper. Then add the paste to my almond milk etc.
    From now on I will buy only organic and use only black ground pepper. My platlets are lower and my blood pressure ok. I think I might overuse my tumeric paste. What do you think. JoAnn. Thank you

• Rita 20/11/2016, 14:40

Hi. I’m just starting to use turmeric and have made golden paste for tea. Can you please let me know what daily amount of golden paste I should be consuming to lower my cholesterol?

Thank you!

• admin 20/11/2016, 22:34

Hello Rita,
      Good for you! To answer your question, here is an excerpt from my Ultimate Turmeric Guide and Protocol:
      “…other than general guidelines, there are NO set dosages established neither in traditional nor ‘modern’ medicine. Most dosage suggestions you may find on the internet for a specific disease are misleading and often the authors confuse standardised turmeric extract (95% curcumin) doses used in scientific studies with whole powdered turmeric which has roughly between 2-5% curcumin.
      Each body is different and each reaction to a disease is different. What is important is to start off with a minimum dose first and slowly work up to the point where you notice improvement. That is your dose.”

Keep in mind that there are three reasons for taking turmeric ie seasoning food, maintenance/prophylactic doses and therapeutic doses. In your case, work up to therapeutic doses 3x daily using the minimum dose of 1/4 tsp per dose. Wait a month, check your blood levels and write it down. Increase dose if not satisfied, wait another month, check again and always keep a record. Adding ginger with your turmeric is always a good idea as it is a bio-enhancer.

Also, please be sure to read my various cholesterol articles which you will find under ‘Whatever Else’ . I hope this helps!

• Donna 18/11/2016, 06:50

Great info. Just started tumeric and exercise due to diagnosis of severe arthritis in my hip. Not interested in giving in or rolling over to it. I forgot the pepper and coconut oil. Will change…i drink it as a tea every nite. Great site

• admin 18/11/2016, 18:04

Good for you, Donna for choosing not to give up on your arthritis. You will find that turmeric is a great help to keep the pain from inflammation under control. If just a tea at night helps you already, great! If not, small doses throughout the day with food is the way to go. Let me hear from you how your progress goes!

• Utkarsh 17/11/2016, 05:27

At what time this turmeric tea should be taken in a case of diabetic person. Also, the exact amount if turmeric powder is used and the amount of water required to make the tea with boiling time.
    Many thanks

• admin 17/11/2016, 23:44

Hello Utkarsh,
      I suggest you have a look at this link for tips on preparing a ‘tea’ using water if you prefer instead of milk. Just eliminate the honey suggestion.

There is no specific time to take turmeric in any form you prefer for diabetes. It is a food supplement so when you take it does not matter as long as it is with some form of food. This is why the Golden Milk is so good since it is not a ‘meal’ per se, but is a food and will go through the digestive process and this enhances the bio-availability of turmeric.

All diabetics monitor their blood levels and especially when introducing new foods such as turmeric. Turmeric is scientifically proven to lower blood glucose in Type 2 diabetics…as does cinnamon (true cinnamon). The combination of turmeric, cinnamon and of course the freshly ground black pepper is an ideal combination for diabetics. Adding ginger instead of cinnamon is ideal as ginger also lowers blood sugar but works via a different pathway. Turmeric is also very good for the pancreas…which is quite often problematic for diabetics. I hope this helps! (Thanks for subscribing, by the way!)

• Gwendolyn 17/11/2016, 00:20

Is Tumeric good for Menapause? I drank half a juice glass of it with water! lololol

• admin 17/11/2016, 23:21

Hello Gwendolyn,
      Drank half a juice glass of turmeric? What do you mean really…how much? Raw or powder? In any case, yes because turmeric is (among other things) an adaptogenic herb, it is a woman’s BFF (best friend forever). Pre-, menopausal, post-…it helps alleviate a broad range of symptoms from heat flashes to helping the body to normalize estrogen levels to depression and mood as well as acting as an analgesic.

Key is consistency in taking it.

• Getruida 09/11/2016, 21:03

can I use the doseage for coloncancer which spread to the liver stage 4 with a tumor on liver 8cm cant be removed

• admin 11/11/2016, 01:37

Hello Getruida,

I have send you an email!

• https://trello.com/ 05/11/2016, 21:50

This is a really good tip particularly to those new
    to the blogosphere. Simple but very precise information… Many thanks for sharing this one.
    A must read article!

• admin 06/11/2016, 10:55

Wow! Thanks for your kind words!

• Erik Peterson 04/11/2016, 10:03

Does the Black pepper HAVE to be fresh ground? If so why? Great site! Love it.

• admin 04/11/2016, 12:32

Hello Erik,
      Yes. The ‘why’ is because the beneficial effects of the alkaloid piperine in black pepper (together with its isomer chavicine is what you taste) weakens very quickly once it is ground. So, by the time you as the consumer buys ground black pepper, it is only good for flavour and is hardly effective as a an antioxidant, suppressing inflammation and more importantly, boosting the effect of turmeric and all other nutrients in your food. It will still be helpful for digestion, but that is about it.

Also, it looses its beneficial effect by roughly 50-60% by cooking, even at low temperatures. It is best added to food either just before serving (off the heat source) or even better, at the table.

If you don’t have one, I really suggest investing in a good quality pepper mill with steel grinding mechanism, and adjustable. The hard resin or plastic grinding mechanism will wear out very quickly resulting in a clogged pepper mill and an uneven grind. I prefer the kind that one turns the head, rather than little lever one has to work to turn the mechanism. There are also battery operated ones, although for me, I try to avoid batteries when it is practical.

I hope this helps…and thank you for your kind words!

• Lisha 26/10/2016, 19:11

I just found your site while researching using turmeric. Thank you for sharing all this very helpful information. I am using fresh turmeric root, which I grate with a microplane. I make a tea with fresh ginger. I want to ensure I do not use too much per day. I see the amounts you state for powdered, but how would I convert that to fresh?

• admin 28/10/2016, 00:27

Roughly, 1 tsp. of dried equals 3 tsp (1 tablespoon) of fresh. Don’t worry about the exactness…turmeric and co. are food supplements when used in these amounts. Therapeutic doses are considered to be much higher. Please pay particular attention to the part about adding oil and black pepper and why. Otherwise you are wasting the benefits of turmeric and just enjoying it mostly for the taste.

• http://prediksiskoreuro.com 21/10/2016, 09:42

Sweet blog! Ӏ found itt whilе searchinng on Yahoo News.

Dο үοu hɑve any tips on hoow tto ɡеt listed іn Yahoo News?

I’ve Ьeen tryingg for a wɦile bսt I nevr seem tto ǥеt thеre!

Thanks

• admin 21/10/2016, 11:50

Glad you like my blog. Getting on Yahoo News is really a matter of which search term and popularity, I think of a particular post. This post on dosage and method is the most popular on my site. So anyone searching for the key word turmeric dose or turmeric dosage, my site shows up on first page in either Yahoo News or Yahoo Search. Good luck!

• nancy 08/10/2016, 20:25

I just have the powders,Im just starting would like to know how much I need to take I’m in a lot of pain,I have fibermyalga and I need to know what to mix with it to make it tase good.also need to lose about 20 lbs will it help with weight lose.Im 57 and do have differferent health problems please let me know. thank you.Nancy

• admin 09/10/2016, 02:08

Hello Nancy,
      So sorry about your fibromyalgia pain. I have been coming across more information that supports the use of ginger along with the turmeric (and of course the oil/fat source and freshly ground black pepper) in the cases of severe pain such as with fibromyalgia.

If you are just starting with turmeric, then I suggest you start off slowly with the 1/4 tsp. twice daily and increasing to 3 times daily. If needed, then increase the 1/4 tsp until you reach YOUR (therapeutic) dose that helps you. Please re-read the section ‘How much’ for more information.

Turmeric is a food supplement, so really you can add it into anything, any recipe. I like adding it into my full fat yogurt (which will have enough fat for the turmeric to be better absorbed) to which I add cinnamon as well as cayenne or ginger, scrambled eggs, tuna salad…soups, mashed potatoes, tomato sauces of all kinds etc etc. I also often add an extra few shakes of my ginger powder, not in place of the pepper but in addition to it.

People into smoothies add it as well – but don’t forget a little healthy oil and the pepper as well. So you see, you are only limited by your own imagination.

You mentioned other health problems. Not knowing which ones, I can only advise you to let your health practitioner know about you taking turmeric. If they haven’t a clue about it, be sure to mention that it IS the most studied herb with thousands of abstracts and studies both on animal and humans. It’s certainly not the latest trend.

Let me know how you get on, Nancy or send me a message. (Thanks also for subscribing!)

• Leonora Co 08/10/2016, 19:36

I thank God for your very helpful website and by emailing me some tips for a healthy life. I just got an arthritis more than one month ago the doctor’s prescription does not work so, I turn to the internet to find what is the best home remedy for arthritis. I found your website and follow your instruction Turmeric mix with fresh ground black pepper and coconut oil it is wonderful drug just one day the pain was gone. I praise Jesus for this wonderful plant. By the way, the pain was in my right hip it was very very painful that I could hardly walked.

More Blessing To You From The Almighty God!

• admin 09/10/2016, 01:24

You really made my week, Leonora. I am so happy for you that you are having success with turmeric and that my website is helpful to you. I love hearing from readers about their success stories. Thank you again for your kind words and thank you also for subscribing!

• Luke 05/10/2016, 19:02

Hello,
    Do you know how long turmeric takes to dissolve in fat/oil?
    I’m mixing it into single cream, but I don’t know how long it should be left before drinking.
    Also, I’ve read about the benefits of taking it mixed in Honey. But, honey is not a fat/oil, is it? How does honey improve its absorption?

Thanks.

• admin 05/10/2016, 19:20

Hello Luke,
      Turmeric dissolves very quickly in cream, not to worry. What is important is that both fat and turmeric are present in the stomach. Not a problem.

Good for you that you pointed out the ‘honey’ problem. A lot of ‘so called’ health sites seem to think that the wonderful benefits of honey must be the perfect match for the wonderful benefits of turmeric…only their superficial knowledge just isn’t enough. Honey does nothing for turmeric to enhance its absorption or bio-availability at all. Honey is between 17 to 24% water. As you know turmeric is hydrophobic, but is lipidphilic. The honey simply helps with the taste for some. Like so many other trendy sites into smoothies, but are low/no fat oriented, they add the latest interesting ingredient without really understanding it.
      Bravo that you do. Great questions, thanks for asking…and don’t forget the freshly grated pepper!

• Lillian 29/09/2016, 23:11

I take 1/8 teaspoon every morning with an egg. No shoulder pain whatsoever. I feel great. Why the pepper? Thank you

• admin 29/09/2016, 23:26

Hi Lillian,

Please re-read the information in the gray box. Glad it works for you as is…imagine how much more you could get out of it with a fresh grating of pepper over your egg? Turmeric benefits go well beyond just pain management.

• allison 29/09/2016, 06:34

Why does it say that turmeric can only be taken short term? I read this on one other site, also. “Considered safe for use up to eight months.” But no one says why!

This supplement is helping me so much… I really don’t want to go off it and feel chronic pain again.

• admin 29/09/2016, 13:27

Good question, Allison, and is one I have been reconsidering for a while. So your question has prompted me to expand on the difference between therapeutic and maintenance doses and turmerics unique qualities being more and more accepted as an adaptogenic herb. Have a look at the second yellow info box I have added.

Here is a link to my article on adaptogenic herbs (which turmeric is).

As to why so many sites claim short term use? Frankly, I think it is a matter of repeating the same mis-information found elsewhere and not digging deeper. What triggered my researching deeper on this subject is the fact that turmeric is taken by most Indians daily…in some form or another, varying it seems from 1/4 to 1 tsp. daily per person depending on which region in India.

Another reason for this mis-information – and one I find highly annoying – is that many of those sites give superficial info on trending topics, cherry picking information without really understanding. An example are sites that confuse curcumin with turmeric. High dose curcumin, long term is another matter entirely. I cover this and more much deeper in my Ultimate Turmeric Guide and Protocol. Click here for more info on my guide.

• admin 30/09/2016, 18:58

Allison…I just saw that you subscribed. Don’t forget to confirm via the email you’ve received! Thanks for signing up!

• Holly 29/09/2016, 02:34

Does anyone know how many milligrams or grams of turmeric powder you are getti g in one tsp if turmeric “paste”?
    I have severe rheumatoid arthritis and have been taking 6 grams daily of standardized capsules, however 1 tsp of golden paste three times daily seems to be working better.

• admin 29/09/2016, 22:53

Hello Holly,
      Your question is difficult to answer because it really depends on how much water was used to cook the paste, how much starch content your particular turmeric powder has (higher starch content means absorbs more water) which is further diluted by the oil. Frankly, don’t worry about how many milligrams there are in a tsp. of the paste. What is more important is what amount of the paste works for you.
      I am not surprised if you are having a better response to the paste compared to the capsules (assuming you mean curcumin capsules). The whole powder contains all the other constituents such as the turmerones – also very potent. Plus heat treated turmeric is by far better absorbed and more bioavailable.

In fact, I would suggest you see how you do on less. For example 3/4 tsp. morning, 1/2 tsp. afternoon and 3/4 tsp. at night…eventually trying 1/2 tsp. three times daily.

Hope this helps!

• Marian 26/09/2016, 09:30

Hi, I have just registered on your very helpful site, I have bookmarked the page so I can quickly return to it any time. I have found the information very helpful, I was taking turmeric capsules for my arthritic joints but I am now converted to using fresh ingredients. I just thought I would share something, this morning for my breakfast I had porridge made with almond milk, I added 1/4 teaspons turmeric, 1/4 teaspons honey, 1/4 teaspons coconut oil and about 4 good grinds of black pepper. I admit I was dubious about weather I could stomach it but it was great, a slight earthy taste but other than that I enjoyed it. I will have the same dose at lunch and in the evening. Would I need to increase this dosage at all or will this be sufficient?

• admin 27/09/2016, 17:06

Hello Marian,
      Thank you for subscribing…yes, I did see that you registered 😉
      When I make porridge (cooked oatmeal in US) I would use either almond or oatmilk myself and perhaps more coconut oil and honey than you and the black pepper of course as well. I love it that way in cooler weather. I add it to anything, my muesli (see recipe section) soups, stews, dishes with mayonnaise. I either use 1/4 tsp per person since my husband and I both take it or just have it as a condiment at the table.

Regarding your question, the 3/4 tsp. you are taking daily is most likely perfect for the normal aches and pains of arthritis etc or other inflammatory issues. If for maintenance reasons most likely you could cut back to two doses daily. Even for preventative purposes it is suggested that one or two doses daily is sufficient. These are just general guides as turmeric is a food supplement and all of us are very unique in our needs.

Not knowing your particular reason for taking it, I hope this helps!

• Michelle Richards 14/09/2016, 22:10

I blend a fresh piece of tumeric and ginger in my smoothie in the morning. Based on the small pieces I use, I can say that each fresh piece is probably more than a teaspoon, but being that it is fresh with the outer skin, do you think it is ok?

• admin 17/09/2016, 00:01

Hello Michelle,
      Here is an excerpt from my ebook The Ultimate Turmeric Guide and Protocol:
      Although one can use fresh rhizome, it must be cooked and never used raw – in spite of what the raw food/vegan/vegetarian Western world may assume and perpetrate otherwise.
      The ideology of “raw is better” may hold true for fruits and many vegetables, however cooked peppers, carrots, spinach, mushrooms, cabbage, and many other vegetables also supply more bio-available vitamins, minerals and antioxidants when lightly cooked or even steamed – such as carotenoids and ferulic acid – than when eaten raw. Another example are cooked tomatoes, such as for sauces and paste, which will have more bio-available lycopene than raw.
      Lightly cooking at low heat or steaming makes some vegetables more bio-available. And so it is with fresh turmeric rhizome.
      ——
      Turmeric rhizome has already been boiled then dried before it is turned into a powder. If you like the taste of a fresh rhizome and are less concerned with benefiting fully from turmeric, by all means use it. The skin can be scraped away like ginger or just scrubbed well and used in your smoothy as is.

Some people feel they have been helped using only raw rhizome, however they are not benefiting from the full potential. The raw rhizome is best used in cooking because the heat will make it very much more bioavailable.

• Annaïs 11/09/2016, 22:55

Hi! Thanks for the great article. I’ve been suffering with depression and anxiety, being prescribed lexapro as a result. Reacted very badly to it so I stopped, and then my doctor gave me another prescription to zoloft. Before starting this new ssri, I wanted to consider taking a natural remedy first. So I’ve been reading up on Turmeric and Curcumin!

My question for you: do you think Turmeric extracts or Curcumin supplements will be a relief for my depression? Would I need to take a high dose to feel the relief?

Thanks!

• admin 29/09/2016, 23:21

Hello Annaïs,
      So sorry I somehow missed your comment! There are many studies that have shown that turmeric can indeed help with anxiety and depression. Some of those studies were done using turmeric and others using curcumin. I would suggest you simply give it a try. If I were you, I would start off at 1/4 tsp. twice daily, working up to three times daily after a week. Keep increasing by 1/4 tsp increments until you notice what works for you. I hope this helps!