Dosage and Method: Turmeric

turmeric powder in coconut oilHow:  Always with fresh ground black pepper (see below why) and some fat or oil as it is lipophilic (oil soluble).  I use coconut oil.

How much:  For adults the official recommendation is up to 1.5 g. daily which will be about one very slightly rounded teaspoon which can be divided over two to three doses daily.  Therapeutic doses are considered to be 2-3 g. See cautions below.  Not recommended for small children under two.  For older children and those over 65, start with a low dose. There are varying opinions as to the dosage and confusion between the active ingredient curcumin and turmeric doses.

According to research, piperine, the active ingredient in black pepper will increase significantly the bio-availability of curcumin by 2000% (or put differently, 20 times more bio-available.).  Turmeric has poor bioavailability due to its rapid metabolism in the liver and intestinal walls.  Piperine works via various mechanisims that enhance absorption off ALL nutrients.

Tea/drinks:  Some people like to take it as a tea, adding a little coconut oil and black pepper.   Others like to take it in warm milk with honey (Golden Milk recipe here) or hot cocoa.

Capsules:  Curcumin (the active ingredient in Turmeric) is available in capsule form.  Personally, I am not a fan of taking herbs (or spices) in such a concentrated active-ingredient-only-form.  This is not what nature intended nor herbal medicine traditions which understood the importance of the synergy of the whole plant matter, be it seeds, leaf, bark or root.  However, please consider organic turmeric which it may be quite helpful for therapeutic short term uses as a massive dosing therapy.  ‘Short term’ is the key word.  See cautions below.

Food:  A great way to take it, a curry is perhaps the best food method – but do you eat curry daily and with medicinal amounts of turmeric? I doubt it.  However, I have added turmeric throughout the day in my yoghurt, muesli, some soups, salad dressings and other dishes.  It gets a bit ‘old’ after a while and invariably I return to my favourite way which is in yogurt.

Fat/oil:  This is my modus operandi and part of my morning routine.  One teaspoon of coconut oil (turns solid in winter so I warm it a little) to  1/2 teaspoon of turmeric.  I add a good few turns of black pepper (for the piperine). This is most likely about 1/8 teaspoon. I repeat this in the afternoon.  These two doses will equal the recommended dose of  1g daily.  Of course you can use any non-inflammatory oil, however coconut oil is my personal favourite.
Lately, I have been using one dollop of full fat real yogurt (about one tablespoon) without the coconut oil to which I stir in the rest.

Many people follow the attitude that ‘more is better’.  This is a huge mistake as turmeric is BEST absorbed in smaller doses throughout the day.  Huge doses at once will simply be wasted.  Bio-availability of the curcumin is a real problem that must be taken seriously.  Take it as suggested WITH the black pepper as explained above and the dose you take will be far better absorbed.

Please reread all the above information before you comment.  I will not answer comments that obviously show not having read this article fully (such as: how much should I take or I just take it with water, is this ok?).  I will gladly answer any other questions you may have for your unique health situation, if I can.

Caution regarding therapeutic doses:

• Turmeric is used to lower blood sugar and may be problematic for diabetics taking diabetic medicines and hypoglycemics.
    • Turmeric also lowers blood pressure in high doses.  Do not take with herbs that have similar effect nor with chemical drugs such as antihypertensives that artificially lower the blood pressure.
    • It lowers the LDL (‘bad cholesterol) and raises the HDL (‘good cholesterol) and will boost the effect of chemical cholesterol lowering drugs.  Taken together, not a good idea.  Consider your choices. See statement in bold below.
    • It is a blood thinner and not to be taken in conjunction with such chemical blood thinners such as warfarin, coumadin, clopidogrel, or even aspirin, do not ingest turmeric in any form in more than low doses.
    • Therapeutic doses of turmeric taken with moderate to high doses of Ginko biloboa or garlic, all of which have blood thinning properties, should not be taken at the same time.
    • If you do take high doses of turmeric, stop at least a week prior to surgery (because it is a blood thinner).
    • May cause nausea if taken on an empty stomach.
    • People having problems with the gall bladder or gall stones should avoid therapeutic doses of turmeric as it increases the bile production.
    • High doses may stimulate uterine contractions and menstrual flow.

It is worth considering that many people have successfully either weaned themselves off chemical drugs or at least lowered the doses over time. This also means, avoided the inevitable side effects of long term pharmaceuticals.  Consult with a health practitioner who is knowledgeable in natural methods, especially turmeric.

Warning!  Super food turmeric may seriously improve your health.  Read more about turmeric benefits – Spice:  Turmeric – Beyond Curry

Be sure to purchase your herb and spices from non-irradiated, organic and reliable sources for the full health benefit.  Grocery store herbs are good enough for seasoning but most likely have been radiated.  One company I have come to trust is “Simply Organic”.

Therapeutic doses of most any herbal preparation is seldom intended for long term use and were never intended to be used in that way.  Obviously, long term chemical ‘solutions’ have also negative effects.  Many herbalists and Naturopathic practitioners recommend taking breaks of a few weeks from any long term herb use.  However, some people eventually ease themselves off of pharmaceuticals and are happy with the results using natural methods and just as importantly, a healthier lifestyle.  Your health practioner (read my interpretation of that and my disclaimer here) should be consulted.

Small selection of references:

•  Shapiro K, Gong WC. Natural products used for diabetes. Journal of the American Pharmaceutical Association. 2002;42(2):217–226. [PubMed]
  •  Gobert CP, Duncan AM. Consumption, perceptions and knowledge of soy among adults with type 2 diabetes. Journal of the American College of Nutrition. 2009;28(2):203–218. [PubMed]
  •  Jiang CS, Liang LF, Guo YW. Natural products possessing protein tyrosine phosphatase 1B (PTP1B) inhibitory activity found in the last decades. Acta Pharmacologica Sinica. 2012;33(10):1217–1245. [PubMed]
  • Nolan CJ, Damm P, Prentki M. Type 2 diabetes across generations: from pathophysiology to prevention and management. The Lancet. 2011;378(9786):169–181. [PubMed]
  • Aggarwal BB, Sundaram C, Malani N, Ichikawa H. Curcumin: the Indian solid gold. Advances in Experimental Medicine and Biology. 2007;595:1–75. [PubMed]
  • Kolev TM, Velcheva EA, Stamboliyska BA, Spiteller M. DFT and experimental studies of the structure and vibrational spectra of curcumin. International Journal of Quantum Chemistry. 2005;102(6):1069–1079.
  • Perez-Torres I, Ruiz-Ramirez A, Banos G, El-Hafidi M. Hibiscus sabdariffa Linnaeus (Malvaceae), curcumin and resveratrol as alternative medicinal agents against metabolic syndrome. Cardiovascular & Hematological Agents in Medicinal Chemistry. 2013;11(1):25–37. [PubMed]
  • Goel A, Kunnumakkara AB, Aggarwal BB. Curcumin as “Curecumin”: from kitchen to clinic. Biochemical Pharmacology. 2008;75(4):787–809. [PubMed]

350 comments… add one

• Curio 14/06/2015, 17:28

1. Is this considered a proper therapeutic dose:

– 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
    – 1/8 tsp black pepper
    – 1 tsb honey
    – mix in a cup of water

Drink twice a day after lunch and dinner?

2. Another question: Can I occasionally drink beer/alcohol the night after drinking the above?

• admin 15/06/2015, 01:07

Hello Curio,
      Regarding your question about theraputic dose: please re-read the second paragraph.
      Not knowing your motives for a theraputic dose, please in any case understand that smaller doses throughout the day are FAR more effective than larger doses at once. To repeat myself, “more is not necessarily better” (at one time).
      After lunch or dinner? Yes, why not? Also as a “snack” in between meals. With water? Personally, I prefer the mix of half milk and half water. The little bit of fat present in WHOLE milk also assists the bioavailabily of curcumin. The ‘milk’ can also be almond, rice, oatmilk etc. if cow or goat milk is not your thing.
      Regarding beer, alcohol after, near, before taking turmeric…also why not? Turmeric is not affected by alcohol at any level unlike pharma drugs or certain other plant material.
      The 1/8 tsp. freshly ground pepper sounds about right although there are no exact ratios that I know of, only suggestions. As far as honey, add as much as your fancy desires!

• Susan 09/06/2015, 04:00

Hi. I’m experiencing burning in my mouth and often cannot get to sleep and my heart is pounding. I usually put tumeric, ginger, cinnamon and nutmeg into drinks – usually herb tea – and sometimes drink a large glass before I go to bed. It just dawned on me that perhaps the spices were keeping me awake by overstimulating my nervous system and/or my gastro-intestinal system. Does that sound likely? Thank you.

• admin 09/06/2015, 19:44

Hello Susan,
      Each of the spices you mention are helpful for falling asleep so, quite frankly, I can’t really help you there. Some herbal teas which include green tea will contain some caffeine…tea bags more so than loose. Some types of green tea are known to be higher in caffeine also. If this is not the problem, perhaps consider other factors…how late you are eating before going to bed…and what you are eating. As an example, apples are known to be a better way to start the day than an expresso in the norning, so avoid this fruit late at night. Also, I would not drink a large glass of tea before bed….a normal cup measure would be better…too much liquid before bed may get your gastro-intestinal system too active. Have you tried the Golden Milk recipe? You can add the same spices, use half milk (of your choice, ie. rice, almond, cow etc) and half water. Sweeten with a little honey, also known to help with sleep.

I don’t think I can help you with the burning mouth problem…perhaps too much ginger?? Does it happen when you do not drink your tea? Hope this helps…in some way!

• Cynthia B 02/06/2015, 23:07

Hi, I make a tea of fresh ginger and turmeric roots. I use about 1 fat thumb worth of each. I boil/steep the roots in 24 oz and drink this concoction throughout the day, every day. For each drink, I add a tsp of coconut oil. I will use pepper next time. I am confused about your dosage and how my tea compares to yours (1 heaping table or teaspoon?). Am I doing thisright? I have a rare autoimmune disease that is similar to Rheum Arthritis. I haven’t noticed a difference in how I feel. My ultimate goal is to lower my steroid dosage. The only thing I’ve noticed is that I have low blood sugar, esp in the evenings when I walk the dog. I carry candy with me now. Thanks in advance!

• admin 05/06/2015, 14:37

Hello Cynthia,
      Unfortunately, I do not have experience with fresh turmeric doses compared to the dry. I am travelling and on limited access to the internet just now, but I suggest you search online for turmeric dose fresh vs. dry or similar. I know it exists, but I have that on my main computer at home and not this notebook I travel with. Just be certain to always use the fresh ground black pepper with turmeric, as per the reasons you will find in this article.

Also, for problems with low blood sugar (which turmeric will not affect) do avoid high doses of cinnamon. On this blog I have articles on cinnamon.. I wish I could help you more with your questions and wish you “Be Well”!

• Paula 31/05/2015, 20:27

I made up a turmeric paste of 1/4 c dry turmeric, 1/2 c water, pepper and coconut oil and have taken a heaping tablespoon or so 3x day. My stools have since turned red and I thought this was just a discoloration from the turmeric, but after researching online, I am more convinced that this is actually bloody stools. (Never had this before.) I’ve always had a tendency to overdo things :-/ I’ve only taken this once so far today, so I won’t take anymore until my stools normalize. Do you think afterwards that it should be safe to go to the 1/4 tsp 3x d dosage afterwards? (I also take raw garlic.)

• admin 31/05/2015, 22:30

Hello Paula,
      Turmeric is not an irritant, however, it is a blood thinner – as is raw garlic. One can only speculate as to why you think you saw blood in your stools. You say they turned red…eating certain foods ( such as beets) in large quantities can also make them look dark red. It could also be intestinal bleeding. Old blood in the stool will appear dark reddish or black as it is partially digested.

For using turmeric for the first time and taking such a massive dose – 3 tablespoons in a day – well, this ‘more is better’ idea just is not a good one. Yes, you certainly did overdo it. Wait until your stools normalize then follow the protocol as outlined in this article and observe. I have since edited this article to underline the importance and why to take smaller doses throughout the day. Let me know how you do.

• CARMEN 21/05/2015, 17:17

Hi, I am 68 and suffering from Frontal Fibrosing Alopecia. I have lost about 1-11/2 ” of my front hairline, some of my eyebrows and most of my body hair. I have just been prescribed Mycophenolate Mofetil to help stop the progression. After reading about the side effect I am not going to take it. Would Turmeric help as it is an inflammation of the hair follical but it is a due to my immune system rejection of the hair follical.

Thanks in advance for your help

• admin 30/05/2015, 21:19

Hello Carmen,
      I have been travelling and not often within an internet connection. Sorry for the late response. I really cannot say whether turmeric taken properly will directly help you. However, it certainly will play an important role in helping against the inflammation and immune system support. Be persistant with it and take full doses three times a day as suggested….or even divide the three doses into 6 throughout the day and it is best taken in small amounts with food (or as you have read in this post) rather than large doses once or twice daily. I wish you success. I am sure turmeric, though not the only supplement, will be an important part of the solution. Please read the disclaimer and possible side effects of turmeric (ie gall bladder problems etc).

• Terri 13/05/2015, 21:10

I would like to know if I put this in a smoothie, how much tumeric should I use? Do you drink this twice a day, or is once a day sufficient for joint pain? I have had real trouble with my knees and want to try turmeric to help with the joint pain.

• admin 30/05/2015, 23:29

Hello Terri,
      I have been travelling and not always near an internet connection, so my apologies for not getting back with you. Turmeric is best taken throughout the day. Normal doses divided into two, three or more are more effective than once a day. This is especially true for any inflammatory condition such as arthritis, joint pain etc. Take smoothies, add it into your food whenever aou can, take it mixed in yoghurt – anyway you can think of. Just remember to add the black pepper and that there must be some fat source (turmeric is fat soluable) such as full milk or the fat/oil in the food you eat or add a little coconut oil or other non-inflammatory oill such as olive to your smoothie. You will barely notice it.

• suresh 07/05/2015, 12:16

Very good information. I had started to consume quarter tea spoon turmeric powder in the morning along with lime juice. Is that advisable or do I have to take it with oil? Morning is easy for me (before I go for swimming).
    I am 64 year old

• admin 30/05/2015, 23:44

Hello Suresh,
      You will find in this article the suggested protocol for taking turmeric and why. I always suggest more than one dose a day, either for maintenance or for a specific reason such as inflammation. Smaller doses divided throughout the day is always best.

• Diane 05/05/2015, 11:28

Can every one see on face book what is written here as I have not gone public or even face book friends with the condition I have and would like to know if there is a way to get in contact with you where it can not be read by facebook users .Just don’t wantto broadcast it.

• admin 30/05/2015, 23:49

Hello Diane,
      So sorry I missed your comment. Wordpress isn´t very consistent in advising me of comments. The blog is not directly linked to facebook although I do have a facebook page but nothing I post here is there and vice versa. However, visitors to the facebook page usually come and visit this blog. I really doubt if your friends will see what you post here. If you like contact me directly (see ‘contact ne’ at top of blog) if you feel better about it, ok? :-)

• Marie-Therese Hanulak 05/05/2015, 00:25

I bought organic turmeric . It does not say irradiated or not. I asked at that store and was told that all spices coming from other countries are forcibly erradiated before entering in ur country.

So, do I take this organic turmeric (from Simply Organic) or am I wasting my efforts?

• admin 31/05/2015, 00:21

I understand that in the USA, herbs and spices that are irradiated must be labeled as such on the packaging and this is the same in Europe (not knowing where you are, perhaps it is the same for your country). Pre-prepared foods do not have to be labeled and that is where most of the irradiated spices and herbs in the US are used. Fortunately, the bad rap that irradiation has received, most consumers do not want irradiated products. Other processes are used to sterilize their products. McCormick uses intense steam to kill bacteria etc. However, finding spices and dried herbs that are completely untreated is difficult.
      Have a look at (which as I understand also owns Simply Organic) and do a search for irradiation on their policy. They don’t use irradiated products.

The store simply gave you generic information because either they didn’t know better or they simply wanted to sell you their product.

Sorry I missed your comment…I don’t always get consistent notifications from Wordpress about comments. :-)

• fern 25/04/2015, 20:25

Hello, I am 30 and have a back injury (herniated disc). When I took tumeric (dried powder) everyday, I would rarely have pain (maybe twice year). But my father said its unsafe to take it everyday and damaging to your liver. I tried searching the web and have not found solid evidence to support his assertion. In any event, I stopped and my pain again has returned. I wanted to ask if its safe to take at low doses long term as preventitive measure. I take 1/4 of a teaspoon with olive oil before bed. Please advice! Thank you

• admin 31/05/2015, 00:47

I understand your father´s concern, however it is not entirely true what he told you. In India, turmeric is consumed daily, a few times a day. It will not damage a healthy liver or a healthy gall bladder. A gall bladder that may have stones blocking the duct will be problematic as turmeric encourages bile production…and this will further stress a possibly blocked duct. Turmeric is known to prevent liver damage and help diseased liver…so I don´t know where he got this information. There are several hundred medical abstracts on turmeric specifically addressing its liver protecting benefits. Have a look at the resources under this article. Hope this helps.

• MarneiColette 24/04/2015, 18:39

Can you please verify if this is a good method of taking turmeric for therapeutic means.

1 teaspoon mixed with warmed coconut oil. stir and then 2 grinds of black pepper. I generally mix with my coffee in the morning and take again before bed.

Is this being effective? Is the amount correct for therapeutic desired results? I want to help with blood pressure and blood sugar control. Can I add cinnamon to the mix?

• admin 31/05/2015, 00:50

Turmeric is best when taken in smaller doses throughout the day. One teaspoon at once is not a good idea as most of it will not be absorbed. Try 1/4 tsp. at a time, 3 to 4 times a day. You can certainly add true cinnamon to your mix. Hope this helps. Sorry for the late response. I missed your comment.

• joseph 21/04/2015, 06:07

do you have experience about using turmeric to treat psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis?

• admin 31/05/2015, 00:54

I don´t personally have experience with it, but there is anecdotal evidance that theraputic doses are helpful. I just cannot locate the abstract I found that in at the moment as I am travelling and don´t always have an internet connection.

• steve fackerell 18/04/2015, 03:02

Why cant any of these sites ever just say here take this much of this kind and go in good health. Any why are some people saying taking turmeric with pepper is not a good idea….Thanks, Confused

• admin 31/05/2015, 00:57

Hello Steve,
      I really can´t answer you on the first part of your question. Perhaps because one shoe does not fit all and we are all very unique. As for turmeric and freshly ground pepper, there are plenty of medical scientific abstracts that support the fact that the piperine present in black pepper greatly enhances absorbtion of ALL nutrients present, be it the curcumin in turmeric or vitamins etc.. Go with that and forget random comments to the contrary. Hope this helps!

• Feeny 15/04/2015, 23:16

I had my gallbladder removed seven years ago. Is it still a good idea to use turmeric? I like the idea of the golden milk recipe that is on your website.

• admin 05/06/2015, 20:24

Oh, my goodness…I see all the April comments were not forwarded to me. So sorry this is late in answering. There is no problem taking normal nor theraputic doses to turmeric once the gall bladder is removed. Thanks for your comment…it will be helpful for other readers as well.

• Jessica 10/04/2015, 04:11

I’ve been drinking a tea of turmeric powder, fresh ginger, lemon juice and honey at night.
    Just wondering if this would (1) make my acid reflux worse, (2) what quantities of each should I be putting into the tea and (3) how often I can/should be drinking this tea?

• admin 01/06/2015, 00:20

Hello Jessica,
      Sorry, but I did not see your post. It sounds as if you are doing a good combination to help with acid reflux – turmeric and ginger are both helpful, lemon juice is alkalizing but using honey would negate that effect as it is acidic. I would suggest very little honey or none at all. Also, be sure not to drink much liquids with your meals. This dilutes the natural stomach acid necessary for digestion and can make acid reflux worse. Sounds contradictory, but food sitting around in the stomach for too long, because of diluted stomach acid can cause or aggravate acid reflux. Hope this helps.

• Ben J. 07/04/2015, 20:11

The two things turmeric has done for me was raise my sex drive and eradicate a minor form of skin cancer. For external use I mix one table spoon of turmeric powder with a tea spoon of black pepper and drop both doses into a shot glass. Then followed by a few tablespoons of olive oil and mix with a Q tip then apply. Leave on for 30 minutes and shower.

Drinking is simple. One cup of water adding one tablespoon of turmeric with a teaspoon of black pepper. Mix well and gulp down. Do this at least three times daily if you are sick. Once a day for good health.

• admin 01/06/2015, 00:32

Hello Ben…glad to hear the good effects it has for you 😉 . However, follow the protocol for taking theraputic or maintenance doses, otherwise you are wasting the turmeric. You are taking too much at one time and the body cannot deal with this much at once. Bioavailability of the curcumin in turmeric is notoriously difficult. Smaller doses taken with a few grinds of black pepper a few times a day are far more effective. ‘More is better’ is not the motto here.
      Your external use suggestion sounds good. Glad it is working for you.

• ruben adrian 24/03/2015, 17:11

Good day,

I really enjoyed reading through the article as well as all the comments on this page.
    I am a 26 year old man, who spent his entire life obese up until two years ago. I purchased a bicycle, some skates, and began a healthier lifestyle change. I began to incorporate produce I have never eaten, and went on a “no processed food” diet.

I went from a size 46 waist! to 34 : ). I have never felt healthier, my organs all feel like theyre in harmony, and most of all im happy.

About a year ago I purchased a nutribullet, my favorite appliance in the kitchen. At my last visit to the local market, I came across fresh turmeric root for the first time and right away purchased pounds and pounds ( I love ginger root and have heard turmeric is similar). I came on to your site hoping to finding some information on juicing the root…. ive become obsessed with turmeric and am currently using two-three inches of fresh root in my daily juices-shakes.

I cant find anything online about juicing it in relation to how much I should be using. im walking around with yellow hands from how much I peel turmeric haha.

• admin 25/03/2015, 01:08

Hello Ruben,
      First of all, congratulations on your fantastic lifestyle change. Very commendable, indeed. I just happened to come across this link last week. I think it will be interesting to you and answer your question regarding how much to use (just a tip for you: 3 tsp. = 1 tblsp. you will see what I mean when you read the article at the link). Good luck – you are lucky to have a source for the fresh!

• Margie 14/03/2015, 16:54

Do you have any information as to how turmeric works at reducing blood sugar levels? I have used turmeric gel tablets but recently purchased organic turmeric. I made a paste out of it, and am looking forward to feeling its great effects for aches and pains, but I also have read it might help with controlling/lowering blood sugar levels. Thanks.

• admin 16/03/2015, 23:57

Hello Margie,
      Cinnamon comes to mind as the classic choice for lowering blood sugar. The May 12, 2012 issue of “Clinical Nutrition,” 1 to 6 grams of cinnamon taken daily for up to four months lowered the blood sugar levels of patients with type 2 diabetes. However, in the May 2011 issue “Food and Chemical Toxicology” a trial was made which compared the efficacy of curcumin to rosiglitazone, a pharmaceutical drug used to lower blood sugar and decrease insulin sensitivity. There are many trials on either spice for lowering blood sugar.

I would say add cinnamon to the turmeric paste (to which you know you must add, black pepper, right…and a healthy fat/oil?) and monitor your sugar levels. Keep in mind that both turmeric and black pepper will interfere (enhance the effectiveness) with any diabetes meds. Hope this helps!

• Ed 14/03/2015, 02:48

Thanks for the information re: Fat/oil

I first took turmeric w/o any fat or pepper. Then tried a golden milk. Taste ok but probably not effective. No fat and regular ground pepper.

So I found your site and two things keeps popping up. Fat/oil and ground pepper fresh. Well, I got some organic black peppercorn today and made a mix of ‘mud’ – and wanted your thoughts.

1/2 tsp of turmeric, cinnamon, ginger, cayenne (35,000) (organic). 1/8 – 1/4 tsp of fresh ground black pepper (organic as well). And about a tablespoon of pressed coconut oil. Oh, and a squirt of raw honey. Mix this stuff up in a shot glass and take via a small spoon till all gone.

No lasting burn w/ the cayenne. And the honey adds a nice sweet flavor. Now I am looking forward to making this 3x daily for starts. So, my question to you is this effective use of turmeric?

No time for making a smoothie yet. But this seems easy to prepare the night before – just add the oil and enjoy.

• admin 16/03/2015, 23:42

Hello Ed,
      It seems to me you are making up a very effective mix there. So far, from what I have come across is that it is not necessary to match the amount of black pepper to the turmeric…less than half would be just as effective, ie. 1/4 tsp. turmeric and 1/8 or less of black pepper ground.
      Taking it in coconut oil…super! I too add a bit of honey and cayenne and also add a little cinnamon and/or ginger…love the taste and love what it does.
      My ‘mix’ I use in a bit of yogurt, or kefir…or in my muesli (see recipes section) or in my turmeric milk. And, without the honey, it is delicious stirred into a stew or soup…right in the bowl. Try that too, next time!

• Ana 09/03/2015, 23:14

Can I prepare a paste of turmeric, coconut oil and black pepperand leave it on the refrigerator? My intention is to use it on foods and tea throughout the day. If there is such a paste, which would be the right dosage. For instance, how much of turmeric, back pepper and coconut oil can i mix at once?

• admin 10/03/2015, 01:09

Hello Ana,
      There is a protocol that cooking turmeric with a little water (to make a thick paste)for a few minutes before adding a little coconut oil (or olive) is a better way to take turmeric as the gentle cooking makes it more bio-available. One does not need a lot of oil. As an example, to a few tablespoons of turmeric, just a teaspoon or two is enough. After cooking, the black pepper is added. Do not cook it with the black pepper as this will weaken the piperine.

Since turmeric IS oil soluable, you might try melting the coconut oil and gently heating the turmeric in it, stirring all the while. You do not want to fry it! Take it off the heat, then add the black pepper (to a few tablespoons of turmeric, add about 1/4 teaspoon of fresh grated black pepper).

Of any paste, just start with a low dose of a rounded 1/4 teaspoon taken with food is best. Did this help you?

• yahya 08/03/2015, 16:47

im taking 2 table spoon of turmeric with milk(100% fat) and black pepper . one table spoon in morning and one at night.. for my allergies and depression .. advice me :-)

• admin 09/03/2015, 00:14

Hello Yahya,
      Research shows that the curcumin in turmeric is notoriously difficult for the body to absorb…hence the oil land black pepper. So you are doing that part perfectly, however another known problem with curcumin is that it is short lived in the body once absorbed and that taking too much at once risks that the majority of the dose will be ‘dumped’. It is recommended smaller doses throughout the day will ensure the maximum amount will be absorbed.

This is one of those situations where more is not necessarily better. Is there a particular reason why you are taking such a high dose?

• Kulvinder 08/03/2015, 16:24

I am a 40 year old Indian female and suffer with acne. It is mainly hormonal where I get breakouts before my period. The acne scars my skin and takes a while to heal. Could you advise if I should use turmeric direct on my skin or take it internally, or both.
    With thanks in anticipation.

• admin 09/03/2015, 00:23

Hello Kulvinder,
      So sorry about your acne…it must be devasting for you. Personally, I do not have any experience in this area, however I have ran across info online regarding taking turmeric internally and applying topically with very good results. If I were you, do not only an online search for turmeric and acne and also on youtube. Lots of videos there.

I am sure turmeric will help with your condition, but taking it regularily internally will surely help as a first line of defense. I would say internally and topically would be best. Let me know how you are helped by it. Good luck!

• Donald Skinner 07/03/2015, 00:42

I have a Morton’s neuroma in my foot. It developed from plantar fasciitis which I still have vestiges of. Would those be considered the types of inflammation that turmeric would help? It’s been about a year and I’ve tried most everything else.

• admin 07/03/2015, 01:05

Hello Donald,
      Sorry to hear of your painful problem! I don’ know enough about Mortons neuroma to give you competent advice, however this link may have useful info for you:

Turmeric will help with all types of inflammation, and certainly helps/cures many illnesses. I would say give it a serious try following the protocol and be persistant. Turmeric is best taken in small doses throughout the day.

I hope this helps.

Be well!

• sarah 01/03/2015, 13:23

Hallo und danke for this article!
    I have trombozytämie and use to take 100mg aspirin/day. Now i take 1,5 tsp turmeric and you mentioned that turmeric is blood thinner. Is it ok to take it?

• admin 02/03/2015, 16:55

Hallo Sarah,
      Long term use of aspirin of any strength is known to cause problems in the intestinal tract and certainly the lining of the stomach. Aspirin is an anti-inflammatory and is often prescribed for many issues that are related to inflammation, and as you know is also a ´blood thinner´.

Turmeric, on the other hand is a food, is highly anti-inflammatory as well as anti-oxident and will not harm you (see cautions regarding gall bladder disease in this post) and is doing a plethora of good for the body in general.

Both turmeric and aspirin are ´blood thinning´ – decreases platelet aggregation. I cannot advise you to stop your medication but what I can tell you is what I would do. Please see my disclaimer on this site – it may make you smile 😉 .

What I would do if faced with the dilemma of aspirin or turmeric is to take the 1.5 tsp. turmeric using the proper protocol (fresh ground black pepper and some non-inflammatory oil such as coconut or olive oil) and reduce the aspirin by half. After a few weeks, I would have my blood checked (knowing that it will be good). Then I would stop the aspirin at all and again in a few weeks, check my blood work again. If the results weren´t what I wanted, I would increase the turmeric by 1/4 tsp. and check the blood work in a month.
      Often it is a matter of finding what dose works for you.

Be sure to take your turmeric dose divided throughout the day. Research shows that turmeric taken in smaller doses throughout the day is more effective than all at once.

Personally, I am all for taking time to wean oneself off of the pharma drugs using whatever natural method that works. Turmeric and aspirin LONG term, not a good idea in my opinion. Short term until one is weaned off, not a problem as I see it.

Ich hoffe, meine Antwort hat Ihnen geholfen 😉

Be well!

• Althea Lee 28/02/2015, 03:13

Can you tumeric in your water if have a fibriod

• admin 28/02/2015, 23:06

Hello Althea,
      The short answer is yes. The longer explanation you will find at this link, where when you scroll down the chart gives info regarding curcumin, one of the most important (but not only) components of turmeric.

I wonder sometimes at some of the studies I read, if when whole turmeric is used instead of curcumin, but taken properly (as you can read about in this post) how the results would be. Curcumin is notoriously difficult to be absorbed by the body. In effect a small amount does, but most is ‘excreted’ by the body – unless taken properly.

Parallel to taking turmeric (properly), I would also suggest you look into Proteolytic enzymes and their effect on fibroids.

Wishing you all the best. Be well!

• Betty 23/02/2015, 16:52

Hi, I’ve just learned that turmeric is fat-soluble. That being said,which way will I get the best benefits?

1) Adding all ingredients, including my ground turmeric and coconut oil, to my Vitamix and blending together?

2) Dissolving the turmeric in some melted coconut oil first before adding it to my smoothie and blending?

Or will either way work?

Thanks in advance

• admin 23/02/2015, 20:12

Either way will work. What is important is what ends up in your stomach whether cooked with food (stew, curry, vegetable soup), sprinkled on a slice of bread and eaten with a fried egg…or something a bit healthier like you suggested or in Golden Milk…doesn’t matter. This matters:
      1. Presence of some form of oil/fat.
      2. Freshly ground black pepper (for the piperine which acts as a booster for the curcumin.
      1 and 2 make the curcumin in the turmeric more bioavailable.

• Anna 18/02/2015, 22:49

Hi! I’ve been researching natural remedies for boils and came across your site when looking for safe doses. I am falling in love with all the great information and will be adding it to my diet. Right now I am working with more the therapeutic dose to help this nasty pain however I did take 2 asprin right before a teaspoon of turmeric in my eggs… Am I going to be ok?? No other site mentioned the warming except yours :/

Much like the rest, mentioning adding it to foods and teas, I also found making it into a paste with water and applying directly to the boil. Do you think coconut oil would be a more effective solution?

I am so excited to see where my Tumeric addition takes me!! Thank you so much for your information!!!!

• admin 28/02/2015, 23:36

Hello Anna,
      Somehow your comment got overlooked and I just ran across it whilst dumping spam – looks llike your comment was pulled in with the spam.
      Regarding having took the aspirin before taking the turmeric dose…perhaps not the ideal thing to do but as a one off, I am sure you noticed no problem. :-)

I think I can safely assume your boil is past tense? Frankly, I have no personal experience using the coconut oil on boils with or without the turmeric. I would think turmeric is best taken internally and perhaps the coconut oil with tea tree essential oil on the boil – but this is just a guess and something I would do.
      Having said that, in Ayurvedic medicine, turmeric and ginger mixed with water to a paste and gently heated for a few minutes (and allowed to cool to a comfortable temperature) is used on some wounds and infections.

Thanks for your kind words, again I apologize for not catching your comment.

All the best…be well!

• Annabell Wilson 09/02/2015, 17:01

Please can you advise me the quantities of turmeric coconut oil and cumin to use. I believe you can make it up and store in the fridge for some time. Do you cook the mixture. I want to try this to help arthritis etc. Thanks

• admin 09/02/2015, 20:33

Annabel, did you really mean cumin or were your referring to curcumin (in turmeric)? If you wish to address arthritis, then I think you will have much better results using turmeric, cayenne and of course the black pepper and an oil/fat source. The jury is still out whether cooking turmeric with water to a paste first before adding oil and black pepper to the end is more bio-available. It seems that for those who want the convenience of a paste form they can store in the refrigerator for a week or so, then cooking a paste makes sense. However, the scientific research and medical abstracts do not mention cooking it first. Research is done on raw turmeric root, dried powder from such or the curcumin extract.

In my opinion, the suggestion to cook it first was to aid the bio-availability (and also to lessen the somewhat earthy taste) came before the research on piperine in pepper which acts as a synergistic activator of the curcumin in turmeric, boosting it bioavailability significantly. Until I locate research showing otherwise, cooking a paste of it is for the convenience and taste.

As far as how much for your arthritis, I think try 1.5g daily of turmeric divided over three or four doses to which you add roughly 1/8 tsp. cayenne powder. See how you feel and add more cayenne per dose as you can tolerate it. Observe yourself and if needed increase also the turmeric. Refer to the therapeutic dose suggestions in this post. If you have high blood pressure, I think you will notice an improvement as well.

Btw, cumin (Cuminum cyminum) has ‘some’ benefits for arthritis, but is more commonly used for digestive problems. Turmeric and cayenne would be a better combination, IMHO.

For subscribers for my newsletter, I will be sending our a free pdf report with information that may be of interest to you.

• Joann 07/02/2015, 05:33

Thank you so much for your advice. My daughter told me the same thing. She also uses turmeric for her high blood pressure, and it’s working! But Is it good for lowering sugar too? How long do I have to wait for the medicines to get out of my system before I start taking turmeric. I want to take right away safety. Is it good for clearing arteries too? I want to give her your website it’s very good

• admin 07/02/2015, 14:23

Hello Joann,
      Thank you for your kind words. Yes, turmeric will help with high blood pressure, as does olive leaf extract however, in my own personal case I found that cayenne worked faster and with its effects more long term for me. Please see my posts on cayenne and cinnamon for info regarding lowering blood pressure and for addressing diabetes (especially Type 2 and pre-diabetics). Do a search on the site for each and you will find two posts per subject. I will be contacting you via email, dear.

• Joann 09/02/2015, 00:24

Hi I’m back, I am taking turmeric now three times a day instead of all that medicine, and I feel much better after the second day. Can I also take olive extract, and garlic with it? And does it act as a water pill also? Can I take cholesterol pils with it? Because of plaque. And can I take aspirins? Sorry for so many questions but we need to know. Thank you soo much!!! I will wait for your e-mail

• admin 09/02/2015, 20:58

Hello Joann,

I am very pleased for you to read that you feel so much better. Wow! You stopped them cold turkey?
          Olive leaf extract is compatible with turmeric of course as is garlic…enjoy that fresh in your meals! However, with taking the turmeric as you are, I would suggest White Hawthorn extract for heart muscle strength and tonic. This is a well known herb since antiquity. Please do an online search for “white hawthorn” +heart health and you will see what I mean. Here is a link to start you:

In Germany, we call it Weissdorn and it is recognized officially in the German Commission E (approved herbs for pharmacology). There is much research on it. But it is a gentle tonic that must be taken at least 3 months, after that a few times a week or as a boost taken for a few weeks at seasonal change – especially spring and autumn.

Several foods act as a diuretic (your water pill question). Celery comes to mind, herbal infusions from dry herb include dandelion, stinging nettle and linden come to mind. These increase urination without depleting the electrolytes from the body – which what can happen with pharma diuretics. Besides the desired and gentle diuretic action, they have vitamins and minerals. I always suggest to my mother (85) dandelion tincture, which she takes in water…she does not like herbal infusions much 😉 …and celery and apple salad.

I would not recommend aspirin but would recommend cayenne powder – which is an excellent vasodialator. Look for the cayenne article on my site for more info. I will address your other questions in the email. 😉

• Joann 10/02/2015, 17:28

Hi it’s me again I have good news and bad news first the good news my daughter who is 40, still takes turmeric and it works perfectly for her. She has very high blood pressure, and liver damage which I think turmeric is perfect for her. It is working for her and hopefully is helping her liver problems because she said she is not ever stopping turmeric to take her pressure medicine. I did talk her into taking the water pills. I, however, had to go back to my meds because after the third day everything was getting out of control, and I was feeling bad. I do feel like turmeric helped me with the plaque situation because I feel healthier and stronger now when taking my meds. We also take different vitamins to put back in our bodies I think because of my heart situation I have to take another route like the tonic you told me about. I pray to God that turmeric continues to help her though. She is the one that gave me your site to read. Bless you and your family for helping people (FREE). I will continue to read your site, and take your advice.

• Roz 06/02/2015, 01:38

Hi there
    My 7 yr old son has cystic fibrosis(a lung disease)and type 1 diabetes. I’ve read up a lot on tumeric. Sounds like it’s healthy for everyone’s body. Has there been research done that tumeric can help cure either/both of the diseases my sons living with? I pray for cure soon…. Thanks for your time. God bless.

• admin 06/02/2015, 18:57

So sorry to hear of your son’s problems. My short answer to you is: yes. There is recent research on turmeric and CF. The ‘but’ here is that it most likely is too new yet to be known, let alone be accepted by the mainstream medical world doctors (who are in effect pharma educated). As you most likely know, there is MUCH resistance in the pharma funded medical schools and doctors graduating from them.

Here is one mother’s recommendation…albeit a yahoo answers response but I found her response and details of her experience interesting:;_ylt=AwrSnJ9Az9RU9UgAKlq33IlQ?qid=20080525140659AA0JLa4

Here are links to sources of research that I often use. These are scientific and medical research and abstracts sources. Here is but one scientific publication that I found for you. There are many more:
      The summary of the above article is here:

I found this pdf by an MD and Phd doctor particularly interesting:
      and another (there is an email address there):
      You will find several curcumin/CF articles here on that site:

The above site IS selling curcumin products (curcumin is one of the main active ingredients in turmeric) however they are backing up their product by much research.

If I were you (and perhaps you have already) search online for turmeric +cystic fibrosis . Contact those sites that seem particularly non-commercial, or try to contact the doctors themselves for a protocol for amounts and method for your son. I have no experience with CF and do not feel qualified to even suggest amounts. Two things are paramount, however. One that oil/fat MUST be present when turmeric is taken for medical purposes and that black pepper (for the piperine in it) must be taken with it too. Both greatly enhance the bio-availability and effectiveness of turmeric. Also, please read my responses to some readers comments to this post regarding frequency.

You are welcome to ‘my time’ and I sincerely hope this helps. I would very much appreciate it if you updated me with your son’s progress. Contact me via the contact page on this site.
      Blessings to you both. :-)

• Hanif Mojumdar 05/02/2015, 04:29

I am 48. I have IBS and had occult blood test positive. My weight reduced and was 54 kg. For last one year I have been eating raw turmeric root everyday morning in empty stomach. Now my weight increased and I am 58, I dont have the IBS problem. But I wonder, is there any problem or effects of eating raw turmeric root long term. I eat about 1.5 inche long , peeled fresh turmeric everyday. I also have one or two small cloves of garlic each day to prevent constipation. And that is helpful and have been doing this for last three years. Please advice me.

• admin 06/02/2015, 01:22

Hello Hanif,

Congratulations that you are doing so well! Turmeric root or the powder are food supplements and I should think that the small bit of root that you daily ingest would pose no problem at all. Problems can occur taking pure curcumin rather than the whole dried or fresh root, or taking very large amounts of dried turmeric when there is an existing gall bladder problem etc. What you are doing, in my opinion is reasonable and safe. The addition of the fresh garlic is a boost and good idea, as it is good also for numerous reasons. Bravo, keep at it!

• Deb 04/02/2015, 04:30

My son is 18 years old. He often has pain in his stomach before a bowel movement. I believe he has IBS or soMy son is 18 years old. He often has pain in his stomach before a bowel movement. I believe he has IBS or something similar. He has a very sensitive stomach. He also has inflammation in his shoulder. I am thinking turmeric will help both these issues. Please give your suggestions
    Thanks in advance

• Sandra 04/02/2015, 02:24

Hi, my mother has a joint pain in her knee and it becomes worse for the last couple of years. I once read in an artiicle tea made from water, turmeric and ginger will help. I prefer to use a fresh turneric and ginger rather than the dry powder. What would be the dossage that is right for a person of her age. She is 81 years old.

• admin 05/02/2015, 01:00

Hello Sandra,
      There are numerous recipes for turmeric tea as well as Turmeric Milk (search this site for that post). No matter how you take it, follow the protocol in this post (regarding the importance of the oil/fat and black pepper with it to make it bioavailable). As a beginning dose, I always recommend 1/4 tsp twice daily for a week and gradually increasing to 3 times a day. Work up to what seems to help her. More is not always better. With turmeric, as its effect is short lived, lower doses throughout the day work better than one large one. Cayenne is also excellent. I take my turmeric in full fat yogurt (my fat source) with a good shake of cayenne, cinnamon and of course the black pepper. I stir in a little honey or maple syrup as well. Please read articles on this site regarding the benefits of cayenne, etc. Best of luck for your mother (mine is 85 and takes turmeric as well).

• Robert 02/02/2015, 23:45

I have an RP a rare eye disease that has no cure. I still have all of my vision but I am trying to prolong the slow progression until modern medicine catches up. I have heard that Curcuminhelps with certain gene’s of RP. I want to start taking some to see what it does to my body but dont want to take a toxic rate. What would be the best amount to start with?
    Thanks Robert

• admin 05/02/2015, 00:37

Hello Robert,
      So sorry to read of your eye disease. Turmeric is a food supplement…there really is no ‘toxic’ amount, unless like anything, one takes enormous amounts. Even just taking a few tablespoons daily will result in vomiting or at the least severe nausea. Even too much water (gallons daily) is ‘toxic.

High doses of turmeric consistently (as in therapeutically) is not recommended for persons with gall duct or gall stone problems. So, in this case, yes it can be toxic…indirectly, as it encourages the production of bile.

I would suggest to you try 1/4 tsp twice daily following the suggestions on how to take it in this post, increasing gradually to 1/2 tsp. twice daily (or even better, 1/4 tsp. four times daily). It is better to divide a total dose throughout the day than a single dose all at once. Curcumin’s effect is short lived, hence taking it in small amounts more frequently.

Dr. Raadha Ayyagari research is behind the RP and turmeric connection. Perhaps you have read her name…here is a link with more info for you as well as a link to her page at the UC of San Diego.

I have not been able to find a dose recommended for treating RP so I suggest to you to contact her through the above link. It is worth a try!

Good luck!

• Joann 31/01/2015, 21:11

I have a few questions because I purchased turmeric.
    1- can i take it?i have tortuous thoracic aorta, mild coarse calcification projects over the breast shadows on lateral view. I am also taking oral prednisone 500mg mfg Roxane,azithromycin 250 mg mfg teva once daily for virus, Plus diabetic medicines, plus blood thinners. I am 71 years old is it safe for me to take with these medicines? Thank you for your information as soon as you can because I don’t want to delay in taking turmeric which I think can save my life.

• admin 04/02/2015, 23:35

Hello Joann,
      So sorry to hear of your health issues. Other than prednisone, I am not familiar with your medications. However, here is a site where you can type in the drug and check it against turmeric. Just click on ‘check now’, then ‘I agree’ on the next page. Then just type in turmeric. You will be shown more info…minor interactions and an option to see the whole list.
      In high theraputic doses, turmeric acts as a blood thinner too….so it is in my mind, one or the other…or lower doses of turmeric. Hope this helps you.