Dosage and Method: Turmeric

turmeric dosage and methodConfused by conflicting information about dosage and method for turmeric?  You are not alone.  It’s one of the most asked questions I received in the past from my readers.  Dosage really depends on your goal, whether for a particular health problem or for maintenance.

How:  Always with fresh ground black pepper (see below why) and some fat or non-inflammatory oil as it is lipophilic (oil soluble).  I use coconut oil.  For optimal absorption, always take it with food.  Non-inflammatory oils come from the fruit of a plant and not the seeds (such as walnut, olive or coconut).

How much:  For adults the official recommendation is up to 1.5 g. daily which will be about one very slightly rounded half teaspoon which can be divided over two to three doses daily.  Therapeutic doses are considered to be 2-3 g. See cautions below.  Not recommended for small children under two.  For older children and those over 65, start with a low dose. There are varying opinions as to the dosage and confusion between the active ingredient curcumin and turmeric doses.  For these amounts, a few good grinds of pepper is sufficient (roughly 1/16 tsp. per 3 g. turmeric).  It’s not rocket science so don’t worry about exactness.

If you are just starting out with turmeric powder, try 1/4 tsp. twice a day for several days before increasing to the suggested dose.

According to research, piperine, the active ingredient in black pepper will increase significantly the bio-availability of curcumin by 2000% (or put differently, 20 times more bio-available.). “Piperine enhances the serum concentration, extent of absorption and bio-availability of curcumin.”  Turmeric has poor bio-availability due to its rapid metabolism in the liver and intestinal walls.  Piperine works via various mechanisms that enhance absorption of ALL nutrients.

Tea/drinks:  Some people like to take it as a tea, adding a little coconut oil and black pepper.   Others like to take it in warm milk with honey (Golden Milk recipe here) or hot cocoa.

Capsules:  Curcumin (the active ingredient in turmeric) is available in capsule form.  Personally, I am not a fan of taking herbs (or spices) in such a concentrated active-ingredient-only-form.  This is not what nature intended nor herbal medicine traditions which understood the importance of the synergy of the whole plant matter, be it seeds, leaf, bark or root.  However, please consider organic turmeric which it may be quite helpful for therapeutic short term uses as a massive dosing therapy.  ‘Short term’ is the key word.  See cautions below.  Note:  There is much confusion about turmeric capsules on many websites and even companies selling them.  Read the label.  Is it whole turmeric powder or in large letters TURMERIC or turmeric extract but somewhere in smaller print ‘curcumin’? Turmeric extract is curcumin.

Food:  A great way to take it, a curry is perhaps the best food method – but do you eat curry daily and with medicinal amounts of turmeric? I doubt it.  However, I have added turmeric throughout the day in my yogurt, muesli, some soups, salad dressings and other dishes.  It gets a bit ‘old’ after a while and invariably I return to my favourite way which is in yogurt where the flavour nearly disappears.  There is no problem for pregnant or breastfeeding women to take turmeric in normal amounts for cooking.  Asian and Indian women have been doing it since millennia.

Fat/oil:  This is my modus operandi and part of my morning routine.  One teaspoon of coconut oil (turns solid in winter so I warm it a little) to  1/4 teaspoon of turmeric.  I add a good few turns of black pepper (for the piperine). This is most likely about 1/8 teaspoon. I repeat this in the afternoon.  These two doses will equal the recommended dose of  1g daily.  Of course you can use any non-inflammatory oil, however coconut oil is my personal favourite.
Lately, I have been using one dollop of full fat real yogurt (about one tablespoon) without the coconut oil to which I stir in the rest.

Many people follow the attitude that ‘more is better’.  This is a huge mistake as turmeric is BEST absorbed in smaller doses throughout the day.  Huge doses at once will simply be wasted.  Bio-availability of the curcumin is a real problem that must be taken seriously.  Take it as suggested WITH the black pepper as explained above and the dose you take will be far better absorbed.

Please reread all the above information before you comment.  I will not answer comments that obviously show not having read this article fully (such as: how much should I take or I just take it with water, is this ok?).  I will gladly answer any other questions to clarify the article or those you may have for your unique health situation, if I can.

Caution regarding therapeutic doses (of turmeric powder and in particular curcumin supplementation):

• Turmeric is used to lower blood sugar and may be problematic for diabetics taking diabetic medicines and hypoglycemics.
    • Turmeric also lowers blood pressure in high doses.  Do not take with herbs that have similar effect nor with chemical drugs such as antihypertensives that artificially lower the blood pressure.  It’s either one or the other.
    • It lowers the LDL (‘bad cholesterol) and raises the HDL (‘good cholesterol) and will boost the effect of chemical cholesterol lowering drugs.  Taken together, not a good idea.  Consider your choices. See statement in bold below.
    • Theraputic doses of turmeric can act as a blood thinner and is not to be taken in conjunction with such chemical blood thinners such as warfarin, coumadin, clopidogrel, or even aspirin, do not ingest turmeric in any form in more than low doses.  In normal usage and doses, it is on a par with aspirin or Ibuprofen and is not a problem.
    • Therapeutic doses of turmeric taken with moderate to high doses of Ginko biloboa or garlic, all of which have blood thinning properties, should not be taken at the same time.
    • If you do take therapeutic doses of turmeric, stop 48 prior to surgery (some sites advise 2 weeks…this is not necessary).
    • May cause nausea if taken on an empty stomach.
    • If you are having problems with bile duct obstruction,  gall bladder or gall stones,   avoid therapeutic doses of turmeric as it stimulates the liver to produce more bile.
    • If you are susceptible to kidney stones, curcumin can increase calcium oxalate excretion.
    • High, therapeutic doses may stimulate uterine contractions and menstrual flow.  In other words, if you are pregnant do not take therapeutic doses, however normal use is fine.
    • Therapeutic doses may lower blood sugar.  This is not a problem for diabetics who regularly check their sugar levels and can adjust their insulin or food intake accordingly.

Therapeutic doses of most any herbal preparation is seldom intended for long term use and were never intended to be used in that way.  Obviously, long term chemical ‘solutions’ have also negative effects.  Many herbalists and naturopathic practitioners recommend taking breaks of a few weeks from any therapeutic long term herb use.  However, some people eventually ease themselves off of pharmaceuticals and are happy with the results using natural methods and just as importantly, a healthier lifestyle.  Your health practitioner (read my interpretation of that and my disclaimer here) should be consulted.

**Since turmeric is primarily a food supplement and considered an adaptogenic herb by many herbalists especially by Ayurvedic practitioners, it is considered an exception to the rule.  “Taking a break” from therapeutic doses of turmeric simply means reduce the amount to normal maintenance of roughly 1/4 tsp. once or twice daily for a few weeks.  Add it as a condiment to your food.  Thus, turmeric can be taken daily by varying the dose every few months.  You can also add equal amounts of ginger powder during lower dose periods.  Read about ginger here. Follow links at the bottom of that article for more on ginger.**

This article is but a fraction of the deeply researched information in my 54 page Ultimate Turmeric Guide and Protocol.  Please click on the graphic for it on this page for more info.

Warning!  Super food turmeric may seriously improve your health.

—————

It is worth considering that many people have successfully either weaned themselves off chemical drugs or at least lowered the doses over time. This also means, avoided the inevitable side effects of long term pharmaceuticals.  Consult with a health practitioner who is knowledgeable in natural methods, especially turmeric, about your dosage and method.

More related posts:

Spice: Turmeric – Beyond Curry

Turmeric – Take It With Food and Why

Turmeric – Does Your Supply Pass the Test

Is Raw Turmeric Better Than Powdered?    Junk Journalism: Turmeric and Co.

Turmeric Golden Milk – A Life Changing Nourishing Drink

Inflammation & Turmeric: Just Symptomatic Relief?

Be sure to purchase your herb and spices from non-irradiated, organic and reliable sources for the full health benefit.  Grocery store herbs are good enough for seasoning but most likely have been radiated.

——————

Small selection of references:

•  Shapiro K, Gong WC. Natural products used for diabetes. Journal of the American Pharmaceutical Association. 2002;42(2):217–226. [PubMed]
  •  Gobert CP, Duncan AM. Consumption, perceptions and knowledge of soy among adults with type 2 diabetes. Journal of the American College of Nutrition. 2009;28(2):203–218. [PubMed]
  •  Jiang CS, Liang LF, Guo YW. Natural products possessing protein tyrosine phosphatase 1B (PTP1B) inhibitory activity found in the last decades. Acta Pharmacologica Sinica. 2012;33(10):1217–1245. [PubMed]
  • Nolan CJ, Damm P, Prentki M. Type 2 diabetes across generations: from pathophysiology to prevention and management. The Lancet. 2011;378(9786):169–181. [PubMed]
  • Aggarwal BB, Sundaram C, Malani N, Ichikawa H. Curcumin: the Indian solid gold. Advances in Experimental Medicine and Biology. 2007;595:1–75. [PubMed]
  • Kolev TM, Velcheva EA, Stamboliyska BA, Spiteller M. DFT and experimental studies of the structure and vibrational spectra of curcumin. International Journal of Quantum Chemistry. 2005;102(6):1069–1079.
  • Perez-Torres I, Ruiz-Ramirez A, Banos G, El-Hafidi M. Hibiscus sabdariffa Linnaeus (Malvaceae), curcumin and resveratrol as alternative medicinal agents against metabolic syndrome. Cardiovascular & Hematological Agents in Medicinal Chemistry. 2013;11(1):25–37. [PubMed]
  • Goel A, Kunnumakkara AB, Aggarwal BB. Curcumin as “Curecumin”: from kitchen to clinic. Biochemical Pharmacology. 2008;75(4):787–809. [PubMed]
622 comments… add one
  • Kiran 16/02/2017, 15:05

Hi.You mentioned that it is better to use freshly ground pepper instead of the grocery store version.Can I grind the peppercorns and store them in the fridge for future use?Thanks.

• admin 16/02/2017, 15:47

Hello Kiran,
      Short answer: No.
      Longer answer: The reason for the freshly ground black pepper is because the most important ingredient is piperine, which is very delicate to not only heat but air. So, pregrinding black pepper then storing in the fridge is a waste of your time. You might as well use the ground black pepper from the market…which will be rather useless for the purpose intended and as described in the gray info box in this article. Besides, it only takes seconds to use the pepper mill!

I hope this helps.

• Chris 15/02/2017, 22:11

How long before annual blood test should you stop taking turmeric ?

• admin 15/02/2017, 22:29

Hello there, Chris!

I just saw your message via the contact form and answered you. Now I see it is about the annual blood test. I am posting my message to you for the benefit of others who may wonder as well. Thank for your very good question!
      ——–
      I know of no reason to stop turmeric before blood tests. On the
      contrary…depending on the doses you take you may find improvement in
      various areas such as cholesterol, liver values, immune system or blood
      tests specific for checking systemic inflammation etc.

• P. Gerber 07/02/2017, 22:51

I didn’t know Turmeric was a blood thinner. I have been taking garlic and turmeric together. I didn’t know I shouldn’t. I make my own capsules. I have been taking only one capsule a day because I’m also on medication.

How much turmeric should I take in capsule form if I get off the medication? I’ve been having so many side effects from meds, including high blood sugar readings from the beta blocker I was taking.

I tried to go without drugs but my blood pressure dropped at night when I was relaxing so I had to keep getting up and walking around to get it up again.

I found it was strange that this would only happen at night. By morning, I could sleep because my blood pressure would go back up.

I am a bit confused. I guess reading this helped a bit but I still have questions.

• admin 08/02/2017, 00:03

Hello there,
      Garlic and turmeric together is a classic Indian culinary combination. The ‘devil is in the details/dose’…so if you are taking several garlic cloves with high doses of turmeric, then there is the potential of ‘too much’. One can only check this with blood work, though.

For most people, the blood pressure will drop during the night but those who have low blood pressure due to medications or combination of meds, this can be a frightening if not annoying problem.

It is very late here now for me, but look for an email from me tomorrow regarding your other questions, ok?

• Clara Meredith 07/02/2017, 21:52

I have just started making a tea with fresh Turmeric, Fresh Ginger and a cinnamon stick. My question is how long can I keep it refrigerated when I make too much or if possible can I make a few quarts and keep it in the refrigerator for more than at least a week?

Thanks

• admin 07/02/2017, 23:30

Hello Clara,
      I would not keep it more than a week. No matter how you make it (I also like it with ginger and cinnamon) remember what I wrote in this article about the oil and the black pepper – that is, if you are making it for its health benefits.

• Wendy baumgarten 06/02/2017, 07:21

Began taking your suggested 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder in a couple of tablespoons of full cream yogurt plus a few grinds of black pepper, last evening. Also gave my dachshund recently diagnosed with mineralized spinal disc disease a teaspoon of my mixture ! She and I share a similar problem it seems and her meds are anti inflammatory tabs and a gut protector. I’d much rather we both took turmeric for pain/ stiffness rather than conventional meds.
    It’s too soon to say whether it will give us pain / stiffness relief but it’s certainly worth a try ! Will let you know how we get on. I’m 74, she’s 7. If it works I’ll be your number one advocate .

• admin 06/02/2017, 18:28

Hello Wendy,
      I am sure you will notice improvement. I do not know of anyone who has not been helped when the problem is inflammation. In case you did not see it, here is a link to my article in the Whatever Else category: Inflammation & Turmeric: Just Symptomatic Relief?

Just remember that small doses frequently throughout the day is the mantra. Turmeric’s effectiveness peaks at roughly 2 hours before it declines. Also, I gave my Tosca (Silky Terrier) roughly 1/8 tsp twice, sometimes thrice daily. I noticed improvement the same day. Just a little more spunk, not so stiff and more alert and became in general a happier dog considering her age. I wish I had known about turmeric for animals years ago as I am certain it would have helped her even more preventing the tumours she developed and were operated on in her high age. She lived to 17 years.
      There is an Australian vet Dr. English who is THE pioneer in using turmeric for animals with all kinds of illnesses and it was his work that impressed me that I started my Tosca on the turmeric. She loved it.

I would love to hear back from you (both) how you are doing. You can contact me via the contact page (look up at the top of the page).

• Tina 30/01/2017, 16:34

I have been looking for a consistent way to take turmeric to aid in the management of my chronic and debilitating sciatic pain. I like this method as it just easily “gets it done” without having to worry about how much you’re eating. I just have a question about the other supplements I am taking and whether it is safe for me to work my way up to the therapeutic dose. I am also taking the recommended dose of St. John’s Wort 3 times a day as well as Glucosamine Chondroitin, Niacin and a digestive aid. Also I don’t take these daily but for the extreme pain management I do have varying doses of Lyrica and I use either acetaminophen or Tylenol arthritis. What can/can’t I take with the turmeric at both doses?

• admin 04/02/2017, 00:11

Hello Tina,
      I apologize for having missed your comment! As you know, St. John’s Wort is mostly used for anxiety and depression…which often comes as a result of chronic pain. Turmeric has also a wonderful ‘side effect’ that is lesser known and that is…having a positive effect on anxiety and depression.

I know Hypericum perforatum well (St. John’s Wort) it’s wonderful and effective but if you ask me what I would do, my choice would be to be consistent with the turmeric, upping the doses until I found what works for me (if I had such chronic pain as you)…and I would not continue with St. John’s Wort. I see it as either or but not necessary together. Turmeric has far more benefits than SJW.

Both turmeric and St. John’s are seratonergics – each to one degree to another. Pure curcumin of course being much more so than turmeric. However, all the other constituents in turmeric are proven to be better, working synergistically than curcumin alone – in many cases (exceptions are ie. bowel cancer).
      Rather than me explaining about seratonergics, please do an online search. It will make sense then.

More is not always beneficial…such as taking two seratonergics together. If turmeric alone is not quite effective enough for you (as far as anxiety/depression is concerned) then try a dose of SJW between your turmeric doses…and see how that works for you.

Turmeric and Glucosamine Chondroitin, Niacin – not a problem as far as my information sources go. I am not a fan at all of Tylenol (which is acetaminophen) in any strength or combination – it really is worse than aspirin, or put differently, is the greater of two ‘evils’. Long list of side effects, not the least being gastric problems.

I know of no interaction between turmeric and tylenol.

It would be wonderful if at some point, sooner than later that you could eliminate the SJW and the acetaminophens. Turmeric can replace them – in principal, however everyone’s pain threshold is different.

About Lyrica, I know very little about it except that it is rather potent drug with possible serious side effects. I could not locate any interaction with turmeric…but this does not mean there are not any.

Even better would be if the reason for your sciatic pain was addressed. Everything else is pain and inflammation management (as well as the anxiety that often comes with chronic issues).

I hope this helps…all the best!

• Holly 21/01/2017, 19:48

PS
    I’ve learned so much by reading all the questions and your excellent answers that I’ve decided to start low (1/4 tsp. turmeric with oil and pepper – off heat), one or two times a day and go from there. Not dwell so much on little details which is a bad habit of mine. So… I wouldn’t mind at all if you just delete and ignore my original question as it is no longer a concern! Thank-you for giving so much of yourself to help others! Your website is outstanding!! Holly

• admin 21/01/2017, 22:13

You are welcome, Holly and thanks for the heads-up about my (chagrin) typo!!

• Holly 21/01/2017, 18:39

Could you clear something up –
    You state:
    How much: For adults the official recommendation is up to 1.5 g. daily which will be about one very slightly rounded half teaspoon which can be divided over two to three doses daily.
    But later state:
    Fat/oil: This is my modus operandi and part of my morning routine. One teaspoon of coconut oil (turns solid in winter so I warm it a little) to 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric. I add a good few turns of black pepper (for the piperine). This is most likely about 1/8 teaspoon. I repeat this in the afternoon. These two doses will equal the recommended dose of 1g daily.

So which is correct…
    – one very slightly rounded half teaspoon = 1.5 g
    or
    – two 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric = 1g

• admin 21/01/2017, 22:11

Hello there Holly,

Not to worry and it is a good questions. Thanks for pointing this out…it should have been 1/4 tsp. The 1/2 tsp was a typo which I have just corrected to reflect that.

You are right about not getting lost in the details. Turmeric is, after all a food supplement and the suggested amounts are a guideline which are also based on blood work research on how much is too much for the body to absorb all at once before just flushing out the excess (like what will happen to too much Vit. C all at once)…how long it takes to peak, how long it takes to sustain and begin to decline. Black pepper definitely helps sustain and slow down the decline.

It’s always good to start with 1/4 tsp. Holly. You will find ways to incorporate it into your recipes. Try the Golden Milk recipe on this site!

• Barbara 20/01/2017, 12:03

Hi there!

Myself and my husband have just started taking the golden paste. We’re just wondering how we will continue to take it when we go motoring in Europe in July. Is it necessary to keep the paste refrigerated? If so, what will be our alternative way of taking turmeric while we’re away? Will it have to be in capsule form which I understand isn’t so good.

Many thanks

• admin 20/01/2017, 15:17

Hello Barbara,
      I see you are in the UK. Please visit this link http://www.goldenpastecompany.co.uk/ The good people at The Golden Paste Company have the ready paste 5% curcumin in pouches of various sizes. Once opened, they should be used up within 3 weeks.

This is one solution as you just squeeze a little into your food wherever you are…such as the breakfast yogurt or scrambled eggs…or on the toast. Admittedly, this is not convenient and it depends on your traveling style, camping, B&B’s no problem. Staying exclusively in hotels and eating out for all meals, then the above company seems to have the ideal solution…in capsule form. These, however are similar to the paste but have 4% curcumin (still great), and all you need for absorbability. Look for TurmOil.

For me, since those capsules are whole turmeric and not just curcumin, plus oil mixed in with the black pepper…these are the only capsules I can recommend at this time.

Contact them for more information and send my regards to Janine or Celine. Very helpful ladies.

• Barbara 21/01/2017, 11:56

Thank you for your reply. That’s great! My husband suffers from arthritis in his knee. How long before he will see any results with the Golden Paste?

Many thanks

• admin 21/01/2017, 13:00

Glad to help, Barbara. To answer your question about how long your husband will feel results…this really varies. For myself, I noticed near immediate relief. It was really ‘realising’…there was no pain anymore in my feet. My husband’s ankle and back stiffness/pain…gone. I also noticed my seasonal annoying allergy (itchy, watery left eye, right ear/throat maddening itchiness, sneezing starting from May to July or so) was much less a few years ago and I don’t recall any symptoms of it last year.

Many people experience this ‘Oh hey! It’s (the pain) gone’… realisation and they can’t pinpoint since when.

I have readers who have told me similar results and others noticed improvement on the first day and progressively better within a few days. It really depends on the uniqueness of the person and their problem. Turmeric excels at reducing/resolving inflammation, be it joints or nerves etc. And of course, is very effective in several other areas.

The Golden Paste is the most effective way to take it. In my ebook, there is a chapter in which I cover this and more in great detail about how and why this works and mistakes to avoid. Just as importantly the various protocols for optimal benefit. Have a look for more information by clicking on the Ultimate Turmeric Guide and Protocol image.

• Melinda 16/01/2017, 03:38

I have diebetic can I use tumeric with insulin. Indeed to get sugars down have not alto of money to by my meds cus even with insurance. Still cost altot

• admin 17/01/2017, 21:24

Good question and one that I occasionally get asked. The short answer is yes (if you mean Type 2 diabetes). Look for an email from me shortly about the long answer, Melinda!

• Gabriella 14/01/2017, 11:51

Hello. Thank you for this information. I’ve had chronic pain (pelvic, low back, left hip and left thigh) for around 3 years. My pain has been undiagnosed by doctors who say “sometimes we just can’t pinpoint what the problem is” .., meanwhile I’ve not been able to function, work, socialist or live any kind of “normal” life because of this intense chronic (day/night) pain. I’ve started to take Caruso Super Curcumin supplements daily (or on demand) and found that it seems to be a good replacement to ibuprofen. The package says to take one x twice daily with meals … but I’m now taking around 6-8 of the supplements per day. They are wonderful for my spasms and pain and work very quickly. His packet ingredients say “Rhizome extract 712.5mg and Curcumin 36mgs. I’m confused as I don’t want to overdose and I don’t quite know what the ingredients on the packet mean. All I know is that if I take even 1 of these supplements upon the feeling of an onset spasm coming on, it relieves it like magic. I’m very serious when I say that my pain levels for the past 3+ years have been torturous to say the least; I’ve list my lifestyle, my friends, my financial savings and my hope due to the extraordinary continual high pain level. Suicide has crossed my mind more than once – but now with these supplements, I feel like Ive found the magic pill! Am I in danger of taking too much, with what I have written above? Also, I don’t take any blood thinners it other medications (just a sleeping pill at night, Clonazepam 2mgs). Please advise because if I am not in danger of more health issues by taking a higher daily dosage, then this is the beginning of a new life for me – a life that I though was pretty much over. I’m female, 53 years of age and just want to live again 🙂 Thank you, I pray to read your guidance, advice. Gabriella. Peace.

• admin 15/01/2017, 22:50

Hello Gabriella,
      I am so sorry to read of your severe pain history, I understand your frustration that the doctors ‘just can’t pinpoint the problem’. To say quality of life is compromised is a gross understatement. I am assuming though, that pinched lumbar nerve has been ruled out?

To answer your question as to how much is too much of the Caruso tablets…the recommended dose they suggest is well under 1 g per tablet (712.5 mg = .7125g of which .036g is curcumin…though it is not really clear how they mean this). And even though 6 tablets a day is a lot, I don’t think it would be a problem. However, consider that turmeric can lower blood pressure as well as many other normally positive side effects…but too much of a good thing…can be too much.

I have visited their site and also read their comparison to other products, which ‘seem’ to demonstrate why theirs is supposedly superior. But, I am not convinced of their so called patented CurcuWIN and UltraSol ‘nutrient delivery system’. Each company has their super-top-proprietary methods and they all work at some degree or another. However, it seems to me you are paying a premium price of just under 1$ Australian dollar per tablet. I am sure you can have just as good if not better results for far far less that you can make up yourself in your kitchen which means you can adjust your dose for your needs without worrying.

If, however this is not an option, I would strongly suggest you have a look at this Aussie product: https://turmericaustralia.com.au/product/organic-turmeric-capsules/?currency=AUD Note they add black pepper AND ginger and it is WHOLE turmeric.

Turmeric is so much more than just curcumin and as far as the herbalist perspective is concerned, there is no ‘active’ ingredient. There may be a particular ingredient that may take center stage, however all the other constituents work synergistically. Some buffer, some enhance etc. The pharma approach to ‘active ingredient’ has trained the public to believe that anything else is non-effective and unimportant…and so many supplement companies follow this marketing.

Curcumin capsules/tablets do have their place in therapeutic treatments of certain cancers such as of the intestine…but are then taken on an empty stomach to reach the intestine undigested. Pain, inflammation etc is better treated with whole turmeric enhanced with black pepper, ginger and of course some fat source in your food…even if it is only stirred into a little full fat yogurt or buttermilk.

I sincerely hope that your suicidal thoughts are no longer haunting you and I hope that no matter how you decide to take turmeric/curcumin for your pain, that you eventually can get off the Clonazepam and enjoy your 53 years young!

I hope this helps!

(Please look for a personal email from me, Gabriella.)

• Cecilia 10/01/2017, 20:36

Hi!

Thanks for interesting facts about Turmeric. I have bought a bottle of Turmeric juice which label says have 99 % Turmeric in it. How do I determine right dosage for this? Is powder better?

Cecilia

• admin 10/01/2017, 22:27

Hello Cecilia,
      Glad you like the article. Frankly, Cecilia, I don’t have the hard facts on turmeric juice, nor does there appear to be. There is a lot of speculation though. When I was in Bali ages ago, I recall how very tasty the Balinese drink was…turmeric and other things I can’t remember.

Turmeric has become so very popular in the last years that companies are scrambling to get on the market. Much like goji berries a few years ago, or aloe vera – which one would find in yogurt, drinks, juices, salad dressings and even bed linens treated with it. Makes one really wonder about that last one. How can the aloe vera last through the subsequent laundering? But I digress…a little.

Please have a look at this article I wrote 99% Pure…BS to understand what that 99% really means. Not saying that is the case with your turmeric juice…but, buyer beware.

Back to your question about dosage or if powder is better: Assuming that the juice is from the raw turmeric, it would be helpful to you to read my latest article Is Raw Turmeric Better Thank Powder? . That article also applies to turmeric ‘juice’…since it is supposedly from the raw rhizomes.
      Don’t forget also that turmeric ‘juice’ – for the same amount – obviously will not be as potent as the powder. The powder is dehydrated, thus a concentrated form from the whole rhizome.

Turmeric juice will in any case be tasty and healthy, but if you are asking me about dosage, then I must assume you wish to take it to address a medical or health situation. In that case, consider the juice a pleasant, healthy drink (as any green smoothie would be) but not a therapeutic choice.

I hope this helps.

• jane baldwin 07/01/2017, 18:35

Thank you so much for your wonderfully informative website. I am a fibromyalgia sufferer and shall pass on your website details to all the members of our local support group which meets once a month. Tumeric here we come!! I shall try it for the first time tonight with supper. Thank you

• admin 10/01/2017, 22:38

Hello Jane,
      Thank you for your kind words! I want to thank you in advance for thinking to suggest my site to your group. There are various studies done on the effect of turmeric and fibromyalgia and they look hopeful. But never mind the studies…I have received positive reports back from several subscribers who have fibromyalgia.
      How is it working for you? Would love to hear…please let me know!

• Nike 06/01/2017, 02:18

Do I get the same benefits from eating raw turmeric? I just peel and chew like a carrot. Do I still need pepper corn and coconut oil.

Thanks for the article. Very useful and informative.

• admin 06/01/2017, 10:48

Hello Nike,

Good question…and it prompted me to finally finish my article Is Raw Turmeric Better Than Powder? You can read it here: http://epicureandigest.com/2017/01/06/is-raw-turmeric-better-than-powder/
      Regarding your last question, freshly ground black pepper is a bio-enhancer so yes very important no matter how you take it. Coconut oil is not crucial, what is, is non-inflammatory oils (fruit oils such as coconut oil, olive oil).

• Helen Pitt 05/01/2017, 21:35

This is an excellent site and I am so glad I stumbled across it today. I have been trying to find out how much turmeric to use and now I know! I have just made my first cup of golden milk and sweetened it with carob, it was really very nice, even with a grind of black pepper which just gives it a little kick. I am recovering from breast cancer and I also have arthritis in my pelvic girdle and lower back so I am looking forward, very positively to the changes that are about to take place. I am really pleased to have found you!

Helen.

• admin 05/01/2017, 22:12

Ahhh….Helen, thank you for your kind words! Good idea to add carob to the golden milk…I’ve done the same. Also, I like to make a ‘pudding’ type dessert with yogurt. I use full fat yogurt, add a serious amount of carob, my dose of turmeric and a little honey or maple syrup and stir well. I also like to top it with a few walnuts…and of course the freshly ground black pepper.

Congratulations on your recovery. Bravo. I wish you all the very best!
      PS: I just noticed you subscribed (thank you!). Look for a personal email from me.

• G 02/01/2017, 21:02

Hello I recently made the golden paste for my parents. They both are in their late seventies and both suffer from hypertension so they take medicine for it. One of them is also diabetic and takes medicine just to keep diabetes under control. Although my dad claimed to feel better in general after he started taking the golden paste, now he seems to feel some kind of anxiety. They have been taking it 3 times a day. My question is: Should they just reduce the dose to once a day or stop it all at once?

Best wishes

G

• admin 03/01/2017, 00:20

Hello there,
      This is strange, G. Turmeric itself is a gentle help for depression and anxiety, as supported by research. I would suggest reducing the dose to once daily for a few weeks before increasing to twice daily and monitor again.. Monitor the blood pressure and pulse. It could be that there is what I call an indirect interaction. By this I mean not an interaction directly with the pharmaceuticals they are taking, but that since turmeric is also helpful for hypertension, that it may be that in effect they are taking two forms of bp lowering agents (the pharma and the turmeric).
      However, not knowing which bp lowering drugs they are taking nor the dosage, that indeed, turmeric may be interacting with the drugs. For my husband and 86 yo mother, they took my suggestion of either one or the other. They chose to wean off the bp drugs a few years ago and are better for it. For them it was one or the other. Attitude in such a decision plays a great role, neither liked the idea of drugs in the first place and resented the side effects. For them, it was an easy choice. Obviously, I can not nor am prescribing nor diagnosing…just passing on personal and family experience. 😉 A happy new year to you and yours!
      (Here’s is a link I think you will find helpful: https://www.drugs.com/drug-interactions/turmeric-index.html?filter=1&generic_only=)

• Rick 27/11/2016, 16:55

I will be interested in how well this works. Have medicated for years with higher doses of NSAID’s. Creatinine levels recently rose and doctor advised discontinuing those. Significant lower back, piriformis and knee pains now. Hopefully this will address the inflammation issue I am now fighting. Thanks!

• admin 28/11/2016, 01:10

Hello Rick!
      I know you will be very pleasantly surprised once you work up to the dose that will work for you. Now that you have my Turmeric Guide (thank you for your purchase!), you will find the various protocols to help you. Great that you are fighting back! IMHO, I would consider adding cinnamon along with your turmeric..about 1/8 tsp. at a time and be sure it is true Ceylon cinnamon. Cinnamon can also help reduce creatinine levels and works synergistically with turmeric.

• Carla 26/11/2016, 21:28

Thanks so much for your article on dosage. Now that turmeric has eliminated chronic inflammation I’ve had for most of my life (ulcerative colitis for around 60 years, arthritis for between 15 and 20 and insulin resistance for around ten), I got to wondering if inflammation serves a positive purpose, and it does seem to be a warning sign of problems in the body, so I’m wondering if you know whether taking turmeric actually heals us or simply short circuits our warning systems, which could actually have adverse effects in the event that something more serious is going on. Thanks.

• admin 22/12/2016, 19:49

Hello Carla,
      I apologize for missing your comment! I am so pleased for you that you too have joined the ranks of satisfied turmeric users. Your question is a really good one. And a logical one. Does inflammation serve a purpose? Yes, it does. Like pain, it tells us something is wrong and needs correcting. Both take up energy reserves combating/dealing with it. Inflammation left unchecked will result in damaged tissue. Arthritis, inflammation of the joints, long term will result in damaged cartilage and loss of synovial fluid due to inflammatory cytokines. Gut inflammation long term will cause a disruption in how we absorb and process nutients as well as cause damage to the lining of the intestines resulting in ‘leaky gut syndrome’.

Chronic inflammation in general disrupts the autoimmune response and triggers symptoms of many disorders and diseases. One can say that inflammation is the root cause of most diseases….from allergies, diabetes to arthritis, intestinal disorders (such as yours) to cancer and more.

Conventional so called anti-inflammatories such as Enbrel, Methotrexate, Orencia or steroids, suppress the immune response or mask inflammation. So, the patient may feel no more pain and assume all is well, but the real underlying cause is still there. And this will eventually trigger further complications that may seem unrelated, requiring ever more meds.

Here’s a quote from Sloan Kettering: “From laboratory experiments, it has been deduced that substances in turmeric (called curcuminoids) prevent inflammation by inhibiting the molecules that mediate inflammatory reactions. Curcuminoids protect the body in a few ways: they enhance the activity of an important detoxifying enzyme and they also act as antioxidants by neutralizing free radicals (which can cause DNA damage).”

There is a large body of studies on turmeric’s ability to treat inflammation. It does more than ‘suppress’ it. It addresses the underlying cause short term and on the long run. Plus, has a long list of positive side effect. Can’t say that for conventional ‘anti-inflammatories’. One often needs other meds to counteract the negative side effects.

Inflammation is the end result of a domino effect of other factors such as a poor lifestyle, poor nutritional habits, stress…is what ultimately ‘makes us ill’.

Legally, I cannot say whether turmeric ‘cures’, but I can say that no, it doesn’t just short circuit our warning systems. It addresses them.

I hope this helps.

• Carla 12/01/2017, 21:08

Thanks so much. My turn to apologize for not acknowledging your excellent reply sooner. I really appreciate it and it clarified a lot for me. I find I can only tolerate 1/4 tsp powdered turmeric with fresh-ground black pepper in oil per day or I start getting dizzy. My hub with strong medical background believes that more may lower my blood pressure–I can’t say–but the quarter tsp has really helped, and I’ve had colitis & therefore undoubtedly a lot of internal inflammation for at least 65 miserable years. Thanks again. Your answering my question, and so thoroughly, greatly reassured me of your knowledge & genuineness (no offense, but there’s a lot of dietary nonsense out there).

• admin 12/01/2017, 23:37

Carla, I’m so pleased to read about your experience. Yes, some people are immensely helped with such a small amount of turmeric…it seems you have found the dose that works for you. Your husband is not far from the truth about turmeric and lowering blood pressure. But, it is not a BP lowering herb per se. However, if the systemic inflammation is part of the profile of a person who is experiencing high BP, then indirectly and by addressing the inflammation, turmeric will ‘appear’ to act as a BP lowering agent. What it is, is: less inflammation = less high BP (for those for whom inflammation is part of what has raised the BP).

I am genuinely pleased that my last response was so assuring for you. Be well!

PS: now that you have turmeric in your life, have a look at my kefir articles. My husband’s colitis – which was greatly helped with turmeric – now is feeling even better thanks to repopulation of probiotics in his intestines (a severe imbalance is what eventually caused his intestinal inflammation) I make the ginger water kefir so easily. It is almost like a ginger ‘beer’, slightly fizzy, delicious and does one goooood! (My husband is 75 and also has had long bouts of colitis, lingering many months in the past.)

• Lin 25/11/2016, 20:43

As I read that the dose should be 1-3 grams per day, I needed to work out how much that was and I found that one level ¼ teaspoon weighed 2 grams. You say 2 x ½ teaspoons equal 1g.

• admin 26/11/2016, 00:33

Hello Lin,
      1/4 teaspoon weighing 2 grams is impossible! I use a digital diamond scale and my weights agree with this spice/gram conversion: http://www.traditionaloven.com/foods/exchange/tsp/g-gram/spice-turmeric-ground.html

Having said that, keep in mind that UK,US and Australian spoon sizes may vary but not that terribly much. In any case, it is a food supplement and approximates are quite ok. But, perhaps check the battery of your scale, or possibly it is not sensitive enough to weigh such a small amount. This is quite often a problem. Obviously I am just speculating.

Use this link for calculating how many (water weight) grams in a standard teaspoon. http://www.convertunits.com/from/teaspoons/to/grams 1 tsp= 5 gr…3 tsp = 1 tablespoon = 15 gr. In this way you could check your own spoons.

I hope this helps.

• Nichole Nichole 22/11/2016, 05:37

I take a tablespoon of turmeric and add it to a glass of warm broth. Other then turning things yellow you can’t taste it at all. I’ll now be making sure to add in black pepper.

• admin 22/11/2016, 11:19

Nichole, that is a good way to take it…as long as there is some fat/oil in it and yes, the freshly ground pepper as well. Please re-read the paragraph above the information in blue. You are wasting 3/4 of your turmeric.
      My ebook The Ultimate Turmeric Guide and Protocol has a detailed section in it about the science behind too much turmeric at once.

• JoAnn P 20/11/2016, 22:46

I have high platlets and my doctor said to take a chemo drug(hydroxurea). I have been taking my tumeric in my smoothie and in my nighttime drink before bed for years. Should I be taking a break?
    I cook my tumeric with water ..coconut oil and pepper. Then add the paste to my almond milk etc.
    From now on I will buy only organic and use only black ground pepper. My platlets are lower and my blood pressure ok. I think I might overuse my tumeric paste. What do you think. JoAnn. Thank you

• admin 20/11/2016, 23:21

Hello JoAnn,
      Do you mean you have thrombosis? Turmeric is very helpful for this as several studies have demonstrated:

I would not worry about over doing the turmeric paste. Turmeric is a food supplement (with fantastic side effects!) and you are taking it conservatively. I would continue with it as you are with it, since your platelet count is lower now and blood pressure. Twice daily is a maintenance regime.
      Be sure to add the coconut oil and freshly ground pepper to the paste off the heat. The piperine in it is delicate.
      I hope this helps!

• JoAnn P 20/11/2016, 23:42

I have polycythemia Vera . A form of cancer.She wants my platelets reduced so I am less likely to have a stroke or heart problem. Yes …you have helped. Thank you

• admin 06/01/2017, 23:51

Ooops! I just noticed your comment, so very sorry JoAnn. I am pleased if I could have been of help and I wish you all the sincerest best for a new and healthier 2017!

• Rita 20/11/2016, 14:40

Hi. I’m just starting to use turmeric and have made golden paste for tea. Can you please let me know what daily amount of golden paste I should be consuming to lower my cholesterol?

Thank you!

• admin 20/11/2016, 22:34

Hello Rita,
      Good for you! To answer your question, here is an excerpt from my Ultimate Turmeric Guide and Protocol:
      “…other than general guidelines, there are NO set dosages established neither in traditional nor ‘modern’ medicine. Most dosage suggestions you may find on the internet for a specific disease are misleading and often the authors confuse standardised turmeric extract (95% curcumin) doses used in scientific studies with whole powdered turmeric which has roughly between 2-5% curcumin.
      Each body is different and each reaction to a disease is different. What is important is to start off with a minimum dose first and slowly work up to the point where you notice improvement. That is your dose.”

Keep in mind that there are three reasons for taking turmeric ie seasoning food, maintenance/prophylactic doses and therapeutic doses. In your case, work up to therapeutic doses 3x daily using the minimum dose of 1/4 tsp per dose. Wait a month, check your blood levels and write it down. Increase dose if not satisfied, wait another month, check again and always keep a record. Adding ginger with your turmeric is always a good idea as it is a bio-enhancer.

Also, please be sure to read my various cholesterol articles which you will find under ‘Whatever Else’ . I hope this helps!

• Donna 18/11/2016, 06:50

Great info. Just started tumeric and exercise due to diagnosis of severe arthritis in my hip. Not interested in giving in or rolling over to it. I forgot the pepper and coconut oil. Will change…i drink it as a tea every nite. Great site

• admin 18/11/2016, 18:04

Good for you, Donna for choosing not to give up on your arthritis. You will find that turmeric is a great help to keep the pain from inflammation under control. If just a tea at night helps you already, great! If not, small doses throughout the day with food is the way to go. Let me hear from you how your progress goes!

• Utkarsh 17/11/2016, 05:27

At what time this turmeric tea should be taken in a case of diabetic person. Also, the exact amount if turmeric powder is used and the amount of water required to make the tea with boiling time.
    Many thanks

• admin 17/11/2016, 23:44

Hello Utkarsh,
      I suggest you have a look at this link for tips on preparing a ‘tea’ using water if you prefer instead of milk. Just eliminate the honey suggestion.

There is no specific time to take turmeric in any form you prefer for diabetes. It is a food supplement so when you take it does not matter as long as it is with some form of food. This is why the Golden Milk is so good since it is not a ‘meal’ per se, but is a food and will go through the digestive process and this enhances the bio-availability of turmeric.

All diabetics monitor their blood levels and especially when introducing new foods such as turmeric. Turmeric is scientifically proven to lower blood glucose in Type 2 diabetics…as does cinnamon (true cinnamon). The combination of turmeric, cinnamon and of course the freshly ground black pepper is an ideal combination for diabetics. Adding ginger instead of cinnamon is ideal as ginger also lowers blood sugar but works via a different pathway. Turmeric is also very good for the pancreas…which is quite often problematic for diabetics. I hope this helps! (Thanks for subscribing, by the way!)

• Gwendolyn 17/11/2016, 00:20

Is Tumeric good for Menapause? I drank half a juice glass of it with water! lololol

• admin 17/11/2016, 23:21

Hello Gwendolyn,
      Drank half a juice glass of turmeric? What do you mean really…how much? Raw or powder? In any case, yes because turmeric is (among other things) an adaptogenic herb, it is a woman’s BFF (best friend forever). Pre-, menopausal, post-…it helps alleviate a broad range of symptoms from heat flashes to helping the body to normalize estrogen levels to depression and mood as well as acting as an analgesic.

Key is consistency in taking it.

• Getruida 09/11/2016, 21:03

can I use the doseage for coloncancer which spread to the liver stage 4 with a tumor on liver 8cm cant be removed

• admin 11/11/2016, 01:37

Hello Getruida,

I have send you an email!

• https://trello.com/ 05/11/2016, 21:50

This is a really good tip particularly to those new
    to the blogosphere. Simple but very precise information… Many thanks for sharing this one.
    A must read article!

• admin 06/11/2016, 10:55

Wow! Thanks for your kind words!

• Erik Peterson 04/11/2016, 10:03

Does the Black pepper HAVE to be fresh ground? If so why? Great site! Love it.

• admin 04/11/2016, 12:32

Hello Erik,
      Yes. The ‘why’ is because the beneficial effects of the alkaloid piperine in black pepper (together with its isomer chavicine is what you taste) weakens very quickly once it is ground. So, by the time you as the consumer buys ground black pepper, it is only good for flavour and is hardly effective as a an antioxidant, suppressing inflammation and more importantly, boosting the effect of turmeric and all other nutrients in your food. It will still be helpful for digestion, but that is about it.

Also, it looses its beneficial effect by roughly 50-60% by cooking, even at low temperatures. It is best added to food either just before serving (off the heat source) or even better, at the table.

If you don’t have one, I really suggest investing in a good quality pepper mill with steel grinding mechanism, and adjustable. The hard resin or plastic grinding mechanism will wear out very quickly resulting in a clogged pepper mill and an uneven grind. I prefer the kind that one turns the head, rather than little lever one has to work to turn the mechanism. There are also battery operated ones, although for me, I try to avoid batteries when it is practical.

I hope this helps…and thank you for your kind words!

• Lisha 26/10/2016, 19:11

I just found your site while researching using turmeric. Thank you for sharing all this very helpful information. I am using fresh turmeric root, which I grate with a microplane. I make a tea with fresh ginger. I want to ensure I do not use too much per day. I see the amounts you state for powdered, but how would I convert that to fresh?

• admin 28/10/2016, 00:27

Roughly, 1 tsp. of dried equals 3 tsp (1 tablespoon) of fresh. Don’t worry about the exactness…turmeric and co. are food supplements when used in these amounts. Therapeutic doses are considered to be much higher. Please pay particular attention to the part about adding oil and black pepper and why. Otherwise you are wasting the benefits of turmeric and just enjoying it mostly for the taste.

• http://prediksiskoreuro.com 21/10/2016, 09:42

Sweet blog! Ӏ found itt whilе searchinng on Yahoo News.

Dο үοu hɑve any tips on hoow tto ɡеt listed іn Yahoo News?

I’ve Ьeen tryingg for a wɦile bսt I nevr seem tto ǥеt thеre!

Thanks

• admin 21/10/2016, 11:50

Glad you like my blog. Getting on Yahoo News is really a matter of which search term and popularity, I think of a particular post. This post on dosage and method is the most popular on my site. So anyone searching for the key word turmeric dose or turmeric dosage, my site shows up on first page in either Yahoo News or Yahoo Search. Good luck!

• nancy 08/10/2016, 20:25

I just have the powders,Im just starting would like to know how much I need to take I’m in a lot of pain,I have fibermyalga and I need to know what to mix with it to make it tase good.also need to lose about 20 lbs will it help with weight lose.Im 57 and do have differferent health problems please let me know. thank you.Nancy

• admin 09/10/2016, 02:08

Hello Nancy,
      So sorry about your fibromyalgia pain. I have been coming across more information that supports the use of ginger along with the turmeric (and of course the oil/fat source and freshly ground black pepper) in the cases of severe pain such as with fibromyalgia.

If you are just starting with turmeric, then I suggest you start off slowly with the 1/4 tsp. twice daily and increasing to 3 times daily. If needed, then increase the 1/4 tsp until you reach YOUR (therapeutic) dose that helps you. Please re-read the section ‘How much’ for more information.

Turmeric is a food supplement, so really you can add it into anything, any recipe. I like adding it into my full fat yogurt (which will have enough fat for the turmeric to be better absorbed) to which I add cinnamon as well as cayenne or ginger, scrambled eggs, tuna salad…soups, mashed potatoes, tomato sauces of all kinds etc etc. I also often add an extra few shakes of my ginger powder, not in place of the pepper but in addition to it.

People into smoothies add it as well – but don’t forget a little healthy oil and the pepper as well. So you see, you are only limited by your own imagination.

You mentioned other health problems. Not knowing which ones, I can only advise you to let your health practitioner know about you taking turmeric. If they haven’t a clue about it, be sure to mention that it IS the most studied herb with thousands of abstracts and studies both on animal and humans. It’s certainly not the latest trend.

Let me know how you get on, Nancy or send me a message. (Thanks also for subscribing!)

• Leonora Co 08/10/2016, 19:36

I thank God for your very helpful website and by emailing me some tips for a healthy life. I just got an arthritis more than one month ago the doctor’s prescription does not work so, I turn to the internet to find what is the best home remedy for arthritis. I found your website and follow your instruction Turmeric mix with fresh ground black pepper and coconut oil it is wonderful drug just one day the pain was gone. I praise Jesus for this wonderful plant. By the way, the pain was in my right hip it was very very painful that I could hardly walked.

More Blessing To You From The Almighty God!

• admin 09/10/2016, 01:24

You really made my week, Leonora. I am so happy for you that you are having success with turmeric and that my website is helpful to you. I love hearing from readers about their success stories. Thank you again for your kind words and thank you also for subscribing!

• Luke 05/10/2016, 19:02

Hello,
    Do you know how long turmeric takes to dissolve in fat/oil?
    I’m mixing it into single cream, but I don’t know how long it should be left before drinking.
    Also, I’ve read about the benefits of taking it mixed in Honey. But, honey is not a fat/oil, is it? How does honey improve its absorption?

Thanks.

• admin 05/10/2016, 19:20

Hello Luke,
      Turmeric dissolves very quickly in cream, not to worry. What is important is that both fat and turmeric are present in the stomach. Not a problem.

Good for you that you pointed out the ‘honey’ problem. A lot of ‘so called’ health sites seem to think that the wonderful benefits of honey must be the perfect match for the wonderful benefits of turmeric…only their superficial knowledge just isn’t enough. Honey does nothing for turmeric to enhance its absorption or bio-availability at all. Honey is between 17 to 24% water. As you know turmeric is hydrophobic, but is lipidphilic. The honey simply helps with the taste for some. Like so many other trendy sites into smoothies, but are low/no fat oriented, they add the latest interesting ingredient without really understanding it.
      Bravo that you do. Great questions, thanks for asking…and don’t forget the freshly grated pepper!

• Lillian 29/09/2016, 23:11

I take 1/8 teaspoon every morning with an egg. No shoulder pain whatsoever. I feel great. Why the pepper? Thank you

• admin 29/09/2016, 23:26

Hi Lillian,

Please re-read the information in the gray box. Glad it works for you as is…imagine how much more you could get out of it with a fresh grating of pepper over your egg? Turmeric benefits go well beyond just pain management.

• allison 29/09/2016, 06:34

Why does it say that turmeric can only be taken short term? I read this on one other site, also. “Considered safe for use up to eight months.” But no one says why!

This supplement is helping me so much… I really don’t want to go off it and feel chronic pain again.

• admin 29/09/2016, 13:27

Good question, Allison, and is one I have been reconsidering for a while. So your question has prompted me to expand on the difference between therapeutic and maintenance doses and turmerics unique qualities being more and more accepted as an adaptogenic herb. Have a look at the second yellow info box I have added.

Here is a link to my article on adaptogenic herbs (which turmeric is).

As to why so many sites claim short term use? Frankly, I think it is a matter of repeating the same mis-information found elsewhere and not digging deeper. What triggered my researching deeper on this subject is the fact that turmeric is taken by most Indians daily…in some form or another, varying it seems from 1/4 to 1 tsp. daily per person depending on which region in India.

Another reason for this mis-information – and one I find highly annoying – is that many of those sites give superficial info on trending topics, cherry picking information without really understanding. An example are sites that confuse curcumin with turmeric. High dose curcumin, long term is another matter entirely. I cover this and more much deeper in my Ultimate Turmeric Guide and Protocol. Click here for more info on my guide.

• admin 30/09/2016, 18:58

Allison…I just saw that you subscribed. Don’t forget to confirm via the email you’ve received! Thanks for signing up!

• Holly 29/09/2016, 02:34

Does anyone know how many milligrams or grams of turmeric powder you are getti g in one tsp if turmeric “paste”?
    I have severe rheumatoid arthritis and have been taking 6 grams daily of standardized capsules, however 1 tsp of golden paste three times daily seems to be working better.

• admin 29/09/2016, 22:53

Hello Holly,
      Your question is difficult to answer because it really depends on how much water was used to cook the paste, how much starch content your particular turmeric powder has (higher starch content means absorbs more water) which is further diluted by the oil. Frankly, don’t worry about how many milligrams there are in a tsp. of the paste. What is more important is what amount of the paste works for you.
      I am not surprised if you are having a better response to the paste compared to the capsules (assuming you mean curcumin capsules). The whole powder contains all the other constituents such as the turmerones – also very potent. Plus heat treated turmeric is by far better absorbed and more bioavailable.

In fact, I would suggest you see how you do on less. For example 3/4 tsp. morning, 1/2 tsp. afternoon and 3/4 tsp. at night…eventually trying 1/2 tsp. three times daily.

Hope this helps!

• Marian 26/09/2016, 09:30

Hi, I have just registered on your very helpful site, I have bookmarked the page so I can quickly return to it any time. I have found the information very helpful, I was taking turmeric capsules for my arthritic joints but I am now converted to using fresh ingredients. I just thought I would share something, this morning for my breakfast I had porridge made with almond milk, I added 1/4 teaspons turmeric, 1/4 teaspons honey, 1/4 teaspons coconut oil and about 4 good grinds of black pepper. I admit I was dubious about weather I could stomach it but it was great, a slight earthy taste but other than that I enjoyed it. I will have the same dose at lunch and in the evening. Would I need to increase this dosage at all or will this be sufficient?

• admin 27/09/2016, 17:06

Hello Marian,
      Thank you for subscribing…yes, I did see that you registered 😉
      When I make porridge (cooked oatmeal in US) I would use either almond or oatmilk myself and perhaps more coconut oil and honey than you and the black pepper of course as well. I love it that way in cooler weather. I add it to anything, my muesli (see recipe section) soups, stews, dishes with mayonnaise. I either use 1/4 tsp per person since my husband and I both take it or just have it as a condiment at the table.

Regarding your question, the 3/4 tsp. you are taking daily is most likely perfect for the normal aches and pains of arthritis etc or other inflammatory issues. If for maintenance reasons most likely you could cut back to two doses daily. Even for preventative purposes it is suggested that one or two doses daily is sufficient. These are just general guides as turmeric is a food supplement and all of us are very unique in our needs.

Not knowing your particular reason for taking it, I hope this helps!

• Michelle Richards 14/09/2016, 22:10

I blend a fresh piece of tumeric and ginger in my smoothie in the morning. Based on the small pieces I use, I can say that each fresh piece is probably more than a teaspoon, but being that it is fresh with the outer skin, do you think it is ok?

• admin 17/09/2016, 00:01

Hello Michelle,
      Here is an excerpt from my ebook The Ultimate Turmeric Guide and Protocol:
      Although one can use fresh rhizome, it must be cooked and never used raw – in spite of what the raw food/vegan/vegetarian Western world may assume and perpetrate otherwise.
      The ideology of “raw is better” may hold true for fruits and many vegetables, however cooked peppers, carrots, spinach, mushrooms, cabbage, and many other vegetables also supply more bio-available vitamins, minerals and antioxidants when lightly cooked or even steamed – such as carotenoids and ferulic acid – than when eaten raw. Another example are cooked tomatoes, such as for sauces and paste, which will have more bio-available lycopene than raw.
      Lightly cooking at low heat or steaming makes some vegetables more bio-available. And so it is with fresh turmeric rhizome.
      ——
      Turmeric rhizome has already been boiled then dried before it is turned into a powder. If you like the taste of a fresh rhizome and are less concerned with benefiting fully from turmeric, by all means use it. The skin can be scraped away like ginger or just scrubbed well and used in your smoothy as is.

Some people feel they have been helped using only raw rhizome, however they are not benefiting from the full potential. The raw rhizome is best used in cooking because the heat will make it very much more bioavailable.

• Annaïs 11/09/2016, 22:55

Hi! Thanks for the great article. I’ve been suffering with depression and anxiety, being prescribed lexapro as a result. Reacted very badly to it so I stopped, and then my doctor gave me another prescription to zoloft. Before starting this new ssri, I wanted to consider taking a natural remedy first. So I’ve been reading up on Turmeric and Curcumin!

My question for you: do you think Turmeric extracts or Curcumin supplements will be a relief for my depression? Would I need to take a high dose to feel the relief?

Thanks!

• admin 29/09/2016, 23:21

Hello Annaïs,
      So sorry I somehow missed your comment! There are many studies that have shown that turmeric can indeed help with anxiety and depression. Some of those studies were done using turmeric and others using curcumin. I would suggest you simply give it a try. If I were you, I would start off at 1/4 tsp. twice daily, working up to three times daily after a week. Keep increasing by 1/4 tsp increments until you notice what works for you. I hope this helps!

• Ana Rose 07/09/2016, 06:14

Hi! I tried turmeric tea last night for my acid reflux.
    After drinking, i suddenly felt nauseated, and uncomfortable.
    I didn’t have a good sleep because of continous burping and farting. Should i continue or stop?
    The turmeric i used is in powder form. Is it better to use a raw/fresh turmeric? Thank you so much.

• admin 07/09/2016, 19:33

Hello Ana,
      So sorry to read of your uncomfortable reaction, it is unusual. It could be that you used too much turmeric if this was your first time trying it. In my opinion, using raw wouldn’t make a difference, but if you have access to it, then give it a try. I am assuming you were taking the tea as a first time on an empty stomach?

What I would suggest though, is introducing turmeric to your diet as a food supplement/condiment. Always taking it with food, try mixing it into your food ie, scrambled eggs, tomato sauces, mashed potatoes, soups, salad dressings…anything. See how that works for you and then at some point try the tea again.

Frankly, I have never tried the turmeric ‘tea’. In liquid form, I prefer the Golden Milk. Perhaps because the milk is a bit more substantial than just ‘tea’ this may work better for you. You can use any ‘milk’ besides dairy. My preference is oat milk, but there are also rice or almond ‘milks’ too. Just look at the ingredient list that there are no additives nor sweeteners.

I hope this helps!