Dosage and Method: Turmeric

turmeric powder in coconut oilHow:  always with some fat or oil as it is lipophilic (oil soluble).  I use coconut oil.

How much:  For adults the official recommendation is up to 1.5 g. daily which will be about one very slightly rounded teaspoon which can be divided over two to three doses daily.  Therapeutic doses are considered to be 2-3 g. See cautions below.  Not recommended for small children under two.  For older children and those over 65, start with a low dose. There are varying opinions as to the dosage and confusion between the active ingredient curcumin and turmeric doses.

According to research, piperine, the active ingredient in black pepper will increase significantly the bio-availability of curcumin by 2000%.

Tea/drinks:  Some people like to take it as a tea, adding a little coconut oil and black pepper.   Others like to take it in warm milk with honey (Golden Milk recipe here) or hot cocoa.

Capsules:  Curcumin (the active ingredient in Turmeric) is available in capsule form.  Personally, I am not a fan of taking herbs (or spices) in such a concentrated active-ingredient-only-form.  This is not what nature intended nor herbal medicine traditions which understood the importance of the synergy of the whole plant matter, be it seeds, leaf, bark or root.  However, please consider organic turmeric which it may be quite helpful for therapeutic short term uses as a massive dosing therapy.  ‘Short term’ is the key word.  See cautions below.

Food:  A great way to take it, a curry is perhaps the best food method – but do you eat curry daily and with medicinal amounts of turmeric? I doubt it.  However, I have added turmeric throughout the day in my yoghurt, muesli, some soups, salad dressings and other dishes.  It gets a bit ‘old’ after a while and invariably I return to my favourite way which is in yogurt.

Fat/oil:  This is my modus operandi and part of my morning routine.  Two teaspoons of coconut oil (turns solid in winter so I warm it a little) to one teaspoon of turmeric which will equal the recommended dose of  1g daily.  I add a good few turns of black pepper (for the piperine). This is most likely about 1/8 teaspoon.

Caution regarding therapeutic doses:

• Turmeric is used to lower blood sugar and may be problematic for diabetics taking diabetic medicines and hypoglycemics.
    • Turmeric also lowers blood pressure in high doses.  Do not take with herbs that have similar effect nor with chemical drugs such as antihypertensives that artificially lower the blood pressure.
    • It lowers the LDL (‘bad cholesterol) and raises the HDL (‘good cholesterol) and will boost the effect of chemical cholesterol lowering drugs.  Taken together, not a good idea.  Consider your choices. See statement in bold below.
    • It is a blood thinner and not to be taken in conjunction with such chemical blood thinners such as warfarin, coumadin, clopidogrel, or even aspirin, do not ingest turmeric in any form in more than low doses.
    • Therapeutic doses of turmeric taken with moderate to high doses of Ginko biloboa or garlic, all of which have blood thinning properties, should not be taken at the same time.
    • If you do take high doses of turmeric, stop at least a week prior to surgery (because it is a blood thinner).
    • May cause nausea if taken on an empty stomach.
    • People having problems with the gall bladder or gall stones should avoid therapeutic doses of turmeric as it increases the bile production.
    • High doses may stimulate uterine contractions and menstrual flow.

It is worth considering that many people have successfully either weaned themselves off chemical drugs or at least lowered the doses over time. This also means, avoided the inevitable side effects of long term pharmaceuticals.  Consult with a health practitioner who is knowledgeable in natural methods, especially turmeric.

Warning!  Super food turmeric may seriously improve your health.  Read more about turmeric benefits – Spice:  Turmeric – Beyond Curry

Be sure to purchase your herb and spices from non-irradiated, organic and reliable sources for the full health benefit.  Grocery store herbs are good enough for seasoning but most likely have been radiated.  One company I have come to trust is “Simply Organic”.

———-

Therapeutic doses of most any herbal preparation is seldom intended for long term use and were never intended to be used in that way.  Obviously, long term chemical ‘solutions’ have also negative effects.  Many herbalists and Naturopathic practitioners recommend taking breaks of a few weeks from any long term herb use.  However, some people eventually ease themselves off of pharmaceuticals and are happy with the results using natural methods and just as importantly, a healthier lifestyle.  Your health practioner (read my interpretation of that and my disclaimer here) should be consulted.

——————

Small selection of references:

•  Shapiro K, Gong WC. Natural products used for diabetes. Journal of the American Pharmaceutical Association. 2002;42(2):217–226. [PubMed]
  •  Gobert CP, Duncan AM. Consumption, perceptions and knowledge of soy among adults with type 2 diabetes. Journal of the American College of Nutrition. 2009;28(2):203–218. [PubMed]
  •  Jiang CS, Liang LF, Guo YW. Natural products possessing protein tyrosine phosphatase 1B (PTP1B) inhibitory activity found in the last decades. Acta Pharmacologica Sinica. 2012;33(10):1217–1245. [PubMed]
  • Nolan CJ, Damm P, Prentki M. Type 2 diabetes across generations: from pathophysiology to prevention and management. The Lancet. 2011;378(9786):169–181. [PubMed]
  • Aggarwal BB, Sundaram C, Malani N, Ichikawa H. Curcumin: the Indian solid gold. Advances in Experimental Medicine and Biology. 2007;595:1–75. [PubMed]
  • Kolev TM, Velcheva EA, Stamboliyska BA, Spiteller M. DFT and experimental studies of the structure and vibrational spectra of curcumin. International Journal of Quantum Chemistry. 2005;102(6):1069–1079.
  • Perez-Torres I, Ruiz-Ramirez A, Banos G, El-Hafidi M. Hibiscus sabdariffa Linnaeus (Malvaceae), curcumin and resveratrol as alternative medicinal agents against metabolic syndrome. Cardiovascular & Hematological Agents in Medicinal Chemistry. 2013;11(1):25–37. [PubMed]
  • Goel A, Kunnumakkara AB, Aggarwal BB. Curcumin as “Curecumin”: from kitchen to clinic. Biochemical Pharmacology. 2008;75(4):787–809. [PubMed]

268 comments… add one

• Denise Marte 23/01/2015, 18:38

I would like to start including turmeric into my eating habits, I take flax oil in the morning would I be able to take it with the oil.

• admin 23/01/2015, 20:06

You can use turmeric with any oil, but of course any non-inflammatory oil such as olive, coconut or linseed oil. However, linseed is extremely delicate. Have a look please at my latest posting in Facebook https://www.facebook.com/epicureandigest for tips. Personally, I use the seed but grind small amounts to be stored in the refrigerator and used within a few days. I mix it in yogurt, porridge (hot oatmeal) etc.

However you take it, do not forget the black pepper as explained in this article.

• hifo 22/01/2015, 09:55

how much tumeric can I use and how to prepare or take it for breast cancer? Was diagnosed in Dec. with breast cancer. I have a big lump on my right breast. I’ve read alot about tumeric and come across your website and it’s very helpful. I’d rather take natural healing or alternative treatment rather then chemo and masactomey and radiation. Will appreciate your help. I started taking tumeric today, 2 teaspoons for 2 cups of water and just drink it like hot tea. Please advise if this is an effective way.

• admin 22/01/2015, 11:42

Hello Hifo,
      I am sorry to read about your breast cancer and I will contact you per email later today. In the meantime, have you read my article about how to take turmeric??
      Turmeric, especially for treatment of a specific health issue, is better taken in consistent doses throughout the day. One of the reasons for this is the effectiveness of any curcumin that is absorbed is short lived. For example, taking it 4 times a day a half teaspoon is far more effective – but only if taken properly. Taking a large single dose (as with pharma meds) is rather useless, especially when just taken with water.
      This is because of the problem with bio-availability that is unique with the curcumin in turmeric and the fact that it is hydrophobic. It must be taken according to protocol, as outlined in this article. Look for an email from me later today :-)

• hifo 22/01/2015, 18:15

Thank you so much Admin for the comfort reply. Looking forward to your email. I should also mention that I take 2 high blood pressure meds and metformin for pre-diabetic, also taking mini aspirin. I also started doing an alternative treatment with one of our traditional healer, using our traditional drinks and leaves from natural bulk of some healing trees and greenies. I am not allowed to drink or eat dairy products, chicken, any sweets or salt in any form. the only meat allowed is steak and fish. I am so willing to take on the tumeric regime. Thank you so much for your help.

• admin 23/01/2015, 01:08

You are welcome hifo, I just sent you an email and will contact you again regarding the high blood pressure and the ‘pre-diabetic’ state. Best regards,

Patricia

• Melanie 21/01/2015, 07:10

I have had issues with my lymphatic system since I was 12 causing pain/swelling/water retention. I also have asthma and allergies that developed in my adult years ,at 32 my symptoms have been getting so severe that I have been making frequent visits to the dr. And hospitals.
    My sister had a friend who did tumeric and cured her asthma, I didn’t believe it, but I was desperate to try anything to get on track.
    Well, I have been taking 1 heaping Ts of organic tumeric in a glass of milk with a dash of pepper, it tastes good this way. after just the first drink I felt good and after a month fantastic. now it has been many months and let me tell you, I have not had an allergic reactions, I have not had a asthma attack and most of my water retention has gone away and my pain, I have energy and feel great!!!.
    I stopped taking it for about 2 of those months to see what would happen, at the end of the two months I swelled up again like I have in the past and severe pain came back, I decided to start up the tumeric again and literally within the first day the pain was gone and day two the swelling was almost all gone and I’m talking inchs of bloat that disappeared over night.
    This stuff is amazing and I think I may need it more long term, but so worth it.

• admin 21/01/2015, 15:57

Thanks, Melanie for taking the time to leave such a wonderful testimony to turmeric! When you mention ‘1 heaping Ts’ do you mean teaspoon or tablespoon? This website has a global reach and it would be helpful if you define that for others who will read your post.
      If it is a tablespoon (level is about 15g…heaping most likely around 22g – a teaspoon roughly 5g) then I would suggest, that in view of your excellent results that you slowly try to reduce it down to 1 level tablespoon, then over a few weeks down to 1 teaspoon twice daily.
      I suspect that your body may no longer need such a large dose and that less may be better. Too large of a dose runs the risk of the body getting too used to it and ‘getting lazy’ about its own powers or the risk that most is wasted as the body cannot utilize too much turmeric at one time.

Turmeric is one of those spices/herbs where less a few times a day is better for bio-availability, even if taken with black pepper. Vitamin C is another good example of this. Small amounts throughout the day is far better than a glass of it (ie, 2 -3 times a day a small glass but sipped, not tipping it in).

Give it a try, eventually taking smaller doses a few times a day and I am sure you will see the same results for less. Let me know if this helps!

• chris 20/01/2015, 14:56

What an interesting and informative site. I have been doing some research on alternatives to “over the counter ” remedies and you have been very helpful! Many thanks! Wishing you good health! Chris

• admin 20/01/2015, 23:10

Thank you, Chris for your kind words! :-)

• Susan 20/01/2015, 03:37

I have high BP, high cholesterol both of which are controlled with dr prescription. Additionally I have MS and ulcerative colitis. What, if any, side effects from taking turmeric? I would take in capsule form in spite of the preference for the natural form. Concerned about interactions with the statin and obviously the mesalamine and copaxone.

• admin 20/01/2015, 23:49

Hello Susan,
      Have a look at this link, especially the ‘clinical data’ section http://www.drugs.com/npp/turmeric.html . I think you will be relieved with that information as it addresses ulcerative colitis and your maintenance meds. Look for capsules with at least 2g. of curcumin and piperine and remember to take them with some fat source (as covered in my articles on turmeric). I think coconut oil will be best for your situation. You won’t need much, about the same amount or a little more as the size of a capsule. This will greatly enhance the bio-availabilty.
      Most people do not have side effects, however when using the pure curcumin capsules I would advise caution. There are no long term studies on its intake. I recommend common herbalist advice and that is 3 months on and one month off.
      Side effects can appear with very high doses, diarhhea, nausea are examples. A positive side effect is that you may have to dump your statin ;-) . Please re-read the cautions in this article.
      Hope this helps.

• Sharon Burton 18/01/2015, 20:22

Hello, enjoy reading all your articles. My husband had a quadruple by pass in 1999 and was diagnosed with with type 2 diabetes. He had an 18 wheeler accident in 2013 and lucky to be alive today. The only injury he had was broke hip and a lot of messed up legimen and tendons in his back. He takes high blood pressure meds, cholesterol meds and sence the accident he does use hum along quit a bit. We juice every day and use turmeric, and ginger trying to find something to reduce inflamation. Not sure how much to use or if we need to use something else along with it. Hasn’t seemed to help relieve him from any pain in his back. His Dr. Has said he has a lot of inflamation and until he gets rid of that he will hurt? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

• admin 20/01/2015, 23:26

Hello Sharon, so sorry to hear about your husband. You did not mention how much turmeric and ginger you use daily, but are you up to therapeutic doses for him (2-3 g). Have you read my cayenne articles? Do a site search for both of them. It could be that adding a few doses of cayenne may help boost the anti-inflammatory effects…a side effect of which is that it will help lower the high blood pressure as well.
      Key to any natural methods or supplementation is consistency. It is better to divide a daily dose over 3-4 times a day rather than all at once. I wonder if you have visited an osteopathic doctor?

• Marlene 15/01/2015, 00:03

I’m diabetic and recently my diabetis has been going up 24 at bedtime and 16 in the morning. My doctor wants me to take four metformin and one januvia a day. I refuse to take so many pills considering all the side effects to the meds.
    I informed my doctor that I don’t wwant to take that manys pills and would like to try Turmeri and or Cinnamon to help lower my blood sugar.
    I would like too know what would be a safe dosage to take of turmeric for my diabetis and ho do I take?
    I prefer to take organic powder form rather than capsules. Just need to know how much and with what.

• admin 20/01/2015, 23:08

Hello Marlene,
      There was recently (yet another) a study that confirmed what the alternative medicine world already knew: that turmeric can certainly help with diabetes. Here is a link for you http://guardianlv.com/2014/03/new-study-confirms-turmeric-can-benefit-diabetes/ I mention that therapeutic doses are recommended between 2 -3 g. of turmeric powder. However, turmeric can seriously lower your blood glucose levels when used in conjunction with diabetes medication. If you are on anything, keep this in mind. Monitor closely, using at first 1/4 tsp. twice daily and slowly increase…I cannot advise you to go against your doctor’s suggestions, however I may tell you what I would do if I had diabetes and that would be to decrease the pharma meds and up the (Ceylon) cinnamon and turmeric while I closely monitor. There doesn’t appear to be as yet a standard turmeric ‘dosage’ for diabetes – or at least I have not yet found it. Each body is so unique. You will eventually find what works for you. Trust your body to let you know ;-)

Key to any path you choose is consistency and lifestyle changes, such as exercise, even just walking daily at least 20 min. Let me know how you do!

• Aggie 14/01/2015, 01:22

I got diagnosed with fibroids couple months ago. I am taking Myomin, Vitex, Adrenogen prescribed by my doctor.(I take Omega 3s, Magnesium, Iodine too) I heard that turmeric can help also. Would it be a good idea to add it to my smoothie I drink every day? What dosage would you recommend?
    Thanks a lot!

• admin 20/01/2015, 22:52

Hello Aggie,
      So sorry I missed your message. The short answer to your question is yes, turmeric may help significantly. There are numerous studies on fibroids and turmeric unfortunately I did not keep a record of the ones I read. An online search turmeric and fibroids will bring up much info with some studies cited. How much? I would say, and in view of the other supplements you are taking, start with 1/2 tsp. twice daily. I am assuming you know to avoid all soya products, right? Most processed foods have some form of soya hidden in them.
      I hope your fibroids are like mine were, situated where they were not a problem. They do tend to disappear with menopause. Hope this helps.

• kevin kevin 04/01/2015, 08:55

Curious, does avocado work as a fat/oil, to mix the tumreric with?

• admin 04/01/2015, 18:07

Yes. Roughly, there is about 22 g. of monounsaturated fat in a whole avocado (approx. medium size). Just to give you an idea of what this equates to, consider that one tablespoon is about 14.18 g. of fat. Turmeric and avocado are a good match…just don’t forget the ground black pepper with it. Thanks for your question!

• Wina 03/01/2015, 19:36

Hi I was going to start the new year experimenting with spices for two reason the benefit they have for my health and also to help me lose some weight …just not sure how much spices I can intake each day I am aware of the top 15 spices that are very good for you …I do not take any medication at all I’m 53 years old and have no health issues i do need to lose about 30 lbs can any one help me to add spices to my daily diet safely . Thank you so much Wina

• admin 04/01/2015, 22:53

Hi Wina,
      First of all, at the top of any ‘spices for health’ list should be the top 3 – turmeric, ginger and cinnamon, taken optimally according to suggestions (ie turmeric always with an oil and black pepper due to the piperine in black pepper which boosts turmeric effectiveness by up to 2,000%).
      As with anything, more is not necessarily better so you would not be doing yourself a service trying to take all the ‘top 15′ spices daily. One uses spices/herbs according to specific health problems or for maintenance…such as the top 3 I mentioned.
      Other spices such as cayenne, taken several times a week in decent doses can certainly be helpful in regulating various problems such as blood pressure that seems to be creeping up. Unless you HAVE high blood pressure, in many cases daily doses throughout the day can really be helpful in controlling it…but this depends on the why you have elevated BP in the first place.
      Cumin and anis are also excellent for quick relief with digestive problems etc…but are spices taken as needed as well.
      Herbs such as basil, cilantro and parsley taken in large amounts not usually found in culinary use, certainly are important too as are thyme, oregano and rosemary.
      Go slowly with your experimenting with spices/herbs in large or daily amounts…and observe yourself and how you feel. Add more or reduce intake as needed. Think in terms of the top three daily and unless for a specific problem and consider weekly additions such as cayenne. Make salads, for example with LOTS of parsley and cilantro and tomato regularly.
      Don’t underestimate the importance of enough water and walking and being consistent with whichever spice/herb combination you decide on.
      Hope this helps!

• Sue 01/01/2015, 18:32

Many friends have recommended turmeric. I have type 1 diabetes, recently diagnosed with high blood pressure although I have taken flax seeds for many years, and wish to combine turmeric with my daily flax seeds (ground) in orange juice/water a.m. drink. Is this combination okay (2 T flax seed and 1 t. turmeric powder)? I am 59 and until this past year had not had serious diabetic complications. Problems with eyes in 2014 and now high blood pressure. I don’t want to take meds and hoping turmeric will help.
    Is my 2T flax seed and 1 t turmeric a good start?
    Thank you for your suggestion.

• admin 04/01/2015, 22:31

Hello Sue,
      I am just taking an educated guess that your ratio of flax seed to turmeric is good enough, however as my article states, fresh grated black pepper is also a must. You won’t need too much, just figure on a quarter the amount of turmeric (1 tsp. turmeric to 1/4 tsp black pepper). That ratio is my own that I use as I cannot find any better guidelines. This works for me.
      Did you read my cinnamon articles? You will find reference there regarding diabetes.
      Occasionally, I have high blood pressure. What works for me is cayenne powder which I take in a little yogurt – about 1/4 or less a few times a day and walking more really helps quickly. Herbal extracts that are also heart strengthening and help lower an elevated blood pressure are White Hawthorn, Olive Leaf as a combination. However, cayenne works VERY fast. Use it consistently and you may see your pressure readings much improved.
      Hope this helps.

• Barb S 28/12/2014, 22:46

My husband has PAD in his lower extremeties and has several stents in his heart (one artery) and a couple in his lower abdoman; takes Clopidogrel – not comfortable taking it due to side effects but is afraid NOT to take it; in reading your comments on Tumeric, would or could Tumeric be a safe alternative and wean off the Clopidogrel? Would appreciate your feedback. His heart doctor is all about statins, chemical drugs; my husband has refused the statins. After reading your information on Tumeric I was alarmed about him taking Tumeric (has been taking it a few weeks…1 a day with a day skipped here and there) along with CoQ10 and Nature’s Pearls…all to help alleviate inflammation in his body…along with dietary changes. Again, desperate to hear from you!!! THANKING YOU IN ADVANCE! From a loving and concerned wife! :)

• admin 31/12/2014, 01:32

Hello Barb,
      I have sent you an email.

• shirley Schneider 25/12/2014, 21:41

enjoyed your articles on turmeric just started it. Does turmeric powdr have to boiled or can it be mixed in juice without boiling, Thank you for your reply
    stanshirl711@gmail.com

• admin 25/12/2014, 23:37

Hello Shirley,
      Some studies seem to indicate that turmeric powder mixed into a liquid and cooked for a few minutes increased it’s bio-availability. To that, of course some healthy oil must be added as well as a few gratings of black pepper – as per the protocol mentioned in this post. Cooked in some form is the traditional way of using it in the first place (foods).

Other authorities claim that the oil and black pepper suffice without cooking it. Personally, I think that making a paste of it – which requires some cooking – is efficient and can keep for a week or so. However, when I run out of it, I used the powder as it is, with of course an oil/fat and the pepper. This is how I used it in the past and felt its effects.

I will be posting how to make the paste at some point but will pass this on to my subscriber list first. Consider subscribing to the newsletter to be informed first about important updates. :-)

Sorry I could not give you a definite answer on the ‘to cook or not to cook’ question. Seems the jury is still out (but tending toward cooked).

• Linda Pitsoulis 23/12/2014, 17:43

I’m wondering if you can relay the recommended dose if one were to juice tumeric. I was told to juice turmeric and celery; I was told it was the best anti-inflammatory ever!

I’ll back down on what I’ve been doing for fear I’ve been overdoing it; not realizing it could be detrimental.

Now that I have found your site, I have other questions, but I’ll wait on those for now. Looking forward to your reply.
    Thanks in advance

• admin 23/12/2014, 21:31

Hello Linda,
      Unfortunately, I do not have experience with using fresh turmeric rhizome. I do know that it is a good tonic and certainly anti-inflammatory but you would have to consume a lot for that effect. Consider the fresh as I mentioned, as a tonic for maintenance. In herbology, tonics are gently supportive and invigorating to the system -‘toning’.

The powder, on the other hand is concentrated and will contain more curcumin per weight than the fresh and juicy rhizome. The sparse info on using fresh and a ‘dose’ is insufficient to really advise. I read mention once that 1 rhizome per glass was sufficient, but suspect this was opinion only.

For a health situation, medicinal doses must be used and this is more efficient using the powder. Most studies are based on the powder, by the way. As far as fresh juice with celery being ‘the best ever anti-inflammatory’ – I would dispute that. Turmeric + fresh ground black pepper + cayenne is the most potent I have experience with.

Celery juice is of course also with very good merit but works via a different pathway and is slower. Good amounts taken frequently act as a diuretic and alkalizing…and this is the anti-inflammatory effect eventually. In a tonic drink, it is a good idea, certainly.

Pain relief is a side effect of a good anti-inflammatory (which for many people is their main concern). Turmeric+piperine (the magic in black pepper) + cayenne for many people works very, very quickly. For some within 15 minutes. Celery needs time.

I hope this helps. Have more questions? I would love to read them!

It really comes down to what you want to achieve. Good maintenance or addressing an acute or chronic problem? If you want to continue with your tonic, I would add 1/8 tsp. cayenne per glass (see the cayenne posts).

• Shaie 29/12/2014, 20:45

I don’t understand what you mean by “fresh” turmeric, would that not be the turmeric rhizome? Do you know how much of the rhizome is equal to the powder? I’ve read other accounts where the person felt they needed more powdered turmeric to get the same result as fresh turmeric rhizome.

• admin 29/12/2014, 21:53

Hello Shaie,

Yes, fresh turmeric as opposed to the dried whole or dried powder.
          Roughly, 5 cm (2 in) of fresh turmeric rhizome equals 1 tablespoon grated. This equals roughly 1 teaspoon of dried powder. As to which is better, I have no opinion as I have no experience with it. Most scientific studies and abstracts are based either on turmeric powder or the curcumin derived from it.
          I too, read varying testimonies regarding fresh or dried. Dried is merely the water removed during the drying process. All the synergistic properties are still there whether fresh or in dried state. I ‘suspect’ that those disappointed with results using the fresh is because they did not use enough of it. Using dried is an easier way to use it in my opinion…but then I have never seen the fresh here.
          There are studies that show heating turmeric powder in a little water first for 5 minutes or so and stirring, helps to improve the bio-availability…however the oil and black pepper must still be used no matter how you use it.
          I hope this helps.

• mariana 20/12/2014, 00:31

I was wondering if tumeric can be taken with hot tea? thank you so much. very grateful.

• admin 20/12/2014, 18:04

Yes, you certainly can take it with any type of tea but do remember the important protocol of including a healthy fat/oil and fresh ground black pepper with it. That may be tricky as the oil with float and the pepper will eventually settle. I highly recommend the turmeric milk (I prefer using oatmilk). Having said that, I have tried with with a ginger and ceylon cinnamon tea plus the coconut oil and pepper…it was very nice. But have a spoon handy to stir it around now and again.

• Jeannette 19/12/2014, 17:10

I am 66 and borderline diabetic…Was getting up daily with blood sugar about 145-50. A1C in Dec. was 6.3 Someone told me about turmeric. I’m taking 2000 mg../day. 500 in a.m. 500 at noon, and 1000 at night because my sugar rises at night.

Since beginning the turmeric my sugars have been 92-105 in the mornings…is this dosage ok?

• admin 20/12/2014, 18:24

Congratulations…it sounds like you are on the way to getting your pre-diabetic condition under control. You asked whether the turmeric was sufficient, my thoughts are if you considered adding a good dose of Ceylon cinnamon to your routine? Both turmeric and Ceylon cinnamon (not cassia) are known to lower blood glucose. In fact, I have read reports of diabetics even getting off the insulin injections through dedicated lifestyle changes and medicinal doses of cinnamon. There certainly are those who got off it using turmeric as well. Please read this post: http://epicureandigest.com/2013/06/15/spice-cinnamon-a-major-cin-2/ and follow the link at the end to the dosage and method post. I would be very interested in the results if you choose to try this and hope you let me know at some future time!

• Cecilia 15/12/2014, 14:30

Wow! This has been a superb eye opener! I really appreciate the wealth of invaluable information contained in this article. It’s really helpful.

Thank you so much for taking your time to help so many of us.

• admin 15/12/2014, 15:21

Thank you Cecilia for your kind words!

• Gwen 07/12/2014, 15:49

Oh can I use flaxseed oil with the tumeric?

• Gwen carter 07/12/2014, 15:46

Just read all comments and your responses to the use of tumeric/cur cumin. Left me very enlightened. I have been doing some research into the use of tumeric for pain and cardiovascular health and was so confused till now, good work THANKS Gwen

• admin 09/12/2014, 00:39

You are welcome and thanks for the kind words. You can certainly use flaxsed oil but please make sure that it is refrigerated and fresh. It has a very short shelf life and in fact begins to get rancid almost as soon as it leaves the processing plant.

• Gwen 07/12/2014, 15:37

Great stuff, re tumeric.

• vivian 02/12/2014, 22:06

Hi I have high blood pressure and i take a combonation blood pressure and water pill. im trying to find a way to lower my blood pressure naturally, im going to contiue to take my meds but will turmeric help me lower my blood pressure.

• admin 02/12/2014, 23:15

Hello,
      Yes, it will lower blood pressure. Just be aware that taking medical doses of turmeric along with your pharma meds will increase their effect. This may not be desireable and result in a sudden drop. For me, it is either or…but that is me. If I were on such meds, I would slowly ease myself off of them and slowly increase the turmeric. Do read my disclaimer regarding my opinions ;-) .
      There are many known hypertension lowering natural solutions…such as cayenne, olive leaf extract (besides turmeric my favourite…again, it is either or) almonds.

• vivian calcote 03/12/2014, 15:23

thank you!!!

• admin 09/12/2014, 00:46

You are welcome!

• Alethea 25/11/2014, 00:14

This is great. I found just what I was having a look for.
    You’ve ended my four day lengthy hunt! God Bless
    you man. Have a great day. Bye

• admin 02/12/2014, 22:54

Thanks!

• Lynne N 13/11/2014, 11:37

I put 1/2 teaspoon of organic turmeric and Ceylon cinnamon spice in my breakfast smoothie of berries, spinach, ginger, and other things with homemade almond milk. I use stevia to sweeten it a bit, and it is marvelous. I sometimes add some raw apple cider vinegar. Yummy, the vinegar gives a big boost to the sweetness for some reason, and, of course is good for you also, I think.

• admin 23/11/2014, 18:44

Great ideas…thanks!

• andre harris 12/12/2014, 16:07

sounds great, but recently health authorities reported that eating a lot of cinnamon wasn’t good for the health

• admin 13/12/2014, 10:23

This is partially true…however, depending on which “health authority” no distinction is made between the cinnamons – all is assumed to be the problematic one. This is one of the classic problems with the medical/pharma world – dumping everything in one pot.

Very often, the cinnamon purchased in supermarkets is cassia (Cinnamomum cassia)…it is intense in flavour (though not better)and much cheaper. It contains high amounts of coumarin (roughly 5%) and this is the problem. It is not a problem in smaller quantities, like a teaspoon in a cake recipe (more dough/batter ratio to cinnamon used)…but can be when used as a medicinal spice in high quantities or in recipes such as the famous cinnamon Christmas cookies/biscuits which is little dough and a LOT of cinnamon and ground nuts.

Warnings are always pushed especially around the holiday season especially when cinnamon biscuits, candies high in such could possibly be eaten in large quantities by children.

True cinnamon has negligable amounts of coumarin. For use in high quantities, I recommend ordering from a reputable company who identifies the product by the botanical name Cinnamomum zeylanicum (sometimes referred to by the newer botanical name Cinnamomum verum) or Ceylon cinnamon.

I am glad you brought this up. Here is full info on the two main cinnamon types with photos as well. Click here.

Thanks for your timely comment, Andre!

• Miss Joy 13/11/2014, 02:32

I have been taking 1/4 teaspoon of Tumeric mixed in lukewarm water 2x a day. Last night I took it and fell asleep and then was awaken by HORRID stomach burning and pain. I still feel it now but not as bad. Did I take it wrong? I mean it was so bad heart burn that felt like fire as well. Any advise as to what I did wrong?

• admin 23/11/2014, 18:48

Hello,
      So sorry to hear you had this problem. A quarter teaspoon should not have caused this effect especially since you indicate you had been taking it all along.. Hmmm…perhaps took it on an empty stomach? Even so, this should not have caused heart burn. Btw, it MUST be taken with some kind of healthy fat/oil. Please have a look again at my articles on turmeric. I missed your comment, sorry for the delay!

• Dawinder Sethi 04/11/2014, 00:12

I have been taking 3 curcumin capsule contents, mixed in milk. I also add black pepper and olive oil and heat this mixture in microwave. However, I have started feeling congestion in my throat. Can I replace milk with water and start taking it, once a day? Please advise.

• admin 23/11/2014, 18:54

Hello Dawinder,
      Yes, you certainly can take it with water, but you might also enjoy using oat or almond milk as a replacement for the cow’s milk. And…in my opinion it would be better to avoid the microwave. It only takes a few minutes using the traditional method. Excellent that you are taking it with black pepper, obviously you know the piperine in black pepper significantly boosts the effect of turmeric. However, heating of any kind lowers the effectiveness progressively of piperine. It must be added AFTER heating…just stir it well in. Thanks for your question!

• Dawinder Sethi 10/12/2014, 03:26

I thank you for clarifying and guiding to avoid microwave.

I have read at various websites that curcumin is safe. Myself & my wife are taking it for last 2 months and have also found it safe. Further, we have also observed that it is helping in providing relief in Osteoarthritis and is lowering blood-sugar levels also.

I seek your guidance as to how long, means number of years we can take it as for Osteoarthritis we may need to continue 2 yrs or more.

Also, Curcumin caps are quite costly esp if one has to take for long period of time. If we substitute it with Turmeric, which is available at grocery stores, then what should be the ideal dosage?

With regards,
      Dawinder

• admin 11/12/2014, 23:39

Hello Darwinder,
        You will find the recommended dosages in this article. You can take it quite long term, as long as you have no gallbladder problems or blocked bile production. In my opinion, take the turmeric at the dose that helps you for a few weeks, then try to reduce it a little at a time over a few more weeks so you find the minimum dose that is effective. Always take it with pepper and an oil/fat source as explained here.
        I don’t recommend supermarket quality as you cannot be assured that it has not been adulterated – meaning the curcumin removed and coloured filler added. There are skrupulous companies that do that and sell the curcumin to supplement manufacturers. Buy organic to be sure (in bulk amounts it will be cheaper).
        Watch for an article soon on how to test for adulterated turmeric – better yet, sign up for my newsletter and get advised of new articles. ;-)

• Dawinder Sethi 16/12/2014, 18:17

Hi,

I very much appreciate your prompt reply. I will follow your advice. Thanks.

Regards,

Dawinder Sethi

• admin 16/12/2014, 18:57

You are welcome, Dawinder!

• Bhoj Raj Tiwari 24/10/2014, 13:58

Hi,
    i am bhoj raj tiwari sarcoidosis patient from 2007.I am having steroid every year for 6 month from 2007.I have heard that turmeric and ginger can help for the sarc. disease so can you suggest me how much quantity is good and howmany times i can take in a day also as well as ginger?

Regards,
    Bhojraj

• admin 30/10/2014, 11:37

Hello Bhoj,
      I am still travelling at the moment but will answer your question when I get back.

• dunn nc 22/10/2014, 20:46

Pretty great post. I simply stumbled upon your blog and
    wanted to say that I have really enjoyed browsing your blog posts.
    After all I’ll be subscribing in your rss feed and I am
    hoping you write once more soon!

• admin 30/10/2014, 11:33

Thanks for your kind words :-)

• Agustin Teves 16/10/2014, 14:18

Good day Sir,

I hope you can help me with this. I come up with a tea with the combination of turmeric 1/4 teaspoon, 1/8 teaspoon of black pepper, few slice ginger.. i boiled this in a cup of water, I inhaled the steam from the boil for 5 mins. then i put it a cup add 1 teaspoon honey.. then drink, then i after, i chew a slice garlic with honey… just last night i took i can hardly sleep. when i woke up this morning. my chest is kind of heavy, a little heart palpitation, its a feeling like there is a pressure inside my chest, or slightly feelin warm.. its disturbing me . Am i doing the right thing? or making a problem by taking this.. pleease advise me im really concern of my health. thank you.

sincerely,
    Agustin Teves

• admin 19/10/2014, 23:58

Hello Agustin,
      I’ve sent you a private email regarding your questions.

• Ezenwoke Oscar 06/12/2014, 09:23

can I use turmeric as food additive to seafood if yes what is the quantity recommended for human consumption

• admin 09/12/2014, 00:45

Hello Oscar,
          I don´t quite understand what you mean. Did you mean feeding fish and shellfish turmeric? In that case, I have not a clue. Did you mean cooking seafood…in that case certainly such as in a prawn curry…add whatever amount is called for in the recipe. If you have any question about the medicinal or maintenance amounts for your health…you will find that in this article.

• Ezenwoke Oscar 14/12/2014, 14:46

as turmeric has an antimicrobial effect can I use it as an additive on a can snail which I am experimenting on

• admin 14/12/2014, 22:18

Hello Oscar,
              I am afraid I haven’t a clue of what you mean…”additive on a can snail you are experimenting on”????

• kathy 13/10/2014, 18:31

Most of all, thank you – the information you present is clear and enlightening I make my own raw goat milk kefir, limit wheat in my diet, and watch my eating habits. I would like to add turmeric to my diet.
    My question is, I had my gall bladder removed 25 years ago because of stones. Should I be careful about adding this spice?
    Any information would be greatly appreciated.

• admin 14/10/2014, 00:24

Thanks, Kathy for your kind words! Glad to hear of your healthy choices. Personally, I feel there would not be a problem taking turmeric and enjoying its broad benefits after having the gall bladder removed. In fact, here is a link that substantiates that regarding testing post-op patients: http://fyiliving.com/research/use-of-turmeric-for-postop-symptoms-after-laparoscopic-gallbladder-surgery/

I have never ran across literature warning about taking turmeric after a gall bladder removal. The only warnings involving the gall bladder were when there were gall stones or gall bladder problems…which is not your case anymore. Hope this helps!

• admin 23/11/2014, 19:03

Kathy, it looks like my answer to your question has disappeared. I apologize for this delay. Raw goat milk kefir…wonderful! In my opinion, since you had your gall bladder removed, there should be no problem. The known problem with using turmeric when gallbladder stones are present is that it encourages bile production…which in the case of a gallbladder full of stones, this is not a good idea. I can only say that if I had mine removed, I would continue using it for all the other fantastic properties. There are plenty of studies on turmeric use after gallbladder removal.

• Rose 06/10/2014, 06:45

My question is I have RSD does turmeric help with that and can u use olive oil instead of coconut oil

• admin 07/10/2014, 21:01

Hello Rose,
      So sorry to hear of your RSD (Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome for those unaware). I have read that turmeric has helped people with RSD but as I am sure you are aware of, each person is different as to intensity and how long you have had it. Although the literature I have read points out that healing RSD is more successful within the first 3 months (the traditional time frame set to define an ailment as chronic), those who have had it longer have found relief as well. This may be in a combination of herbs with turmeric or other combination. Here are a few links for you to consider:
      http://rsdecoding.com/tag/turmeric/ This one is by an RSD sufferer. See her 30 Nov 2012 post. Perhaps you can contact her for help.

However, besides turmeric I would also highly suggest trying trans-dermal magnesium chloride. Trans-dermal (liquid magnesium chloride absorbed through the skin) is the best, most effective and on the long run cheapest way to take the best KIND of magnesium for the body. It has a far longer effect than magnesium sulfate (Epsom salts). Liquid magnesium chloride is also called magnesium ‘oil’…although it is no oil. It just has a slippery feel until it is absorbed. It has many, many benefits.

Any magnesium taken orally is very inefficient as it goes through the digestive system first and so higher doses are required for any benefits…which ends up being expensive on the long run. It also must be well balanced with the correct kind of calcium to make it more bioavailable.

Today, the earth and vegetables we eat from it is depleted in minerals and it is known that especially in the western world almost everyone suffers from some degree of low magnesium levels in the blood. Please read more about it here:

I have no association with any of the links above. But I have personally used the Ancient Minerals ‘oil’ and find them reliable and an excellent source of solid information, even though they sell the product. There is plenty of research on the lack of magnesium…and it could very well be that in the case of RSD and similar that because the body lacks sufficient magnesium that the cells and hence nerves ‘misfire’ signals to the brain (pain bursts) even though a prior injury was not that severe or that the injury is long healed but the nerves keep sending signals of pain to the brain.

What I would do if I were you? I would try one course for several weeks (turmeric or magnesium oil first) and see how I do before switching to the other. In this way, you know exactly what is helping you and proceeding rather ‘hit and miss’. After trying both singly first, and if still no real results, try taking both.

I would love to hear back from you whether one or the other has helped you. I sincerely wish you well!
      (Please see my disclaimer here )

• admin 15/10/2014, 10:48

Ooops…sorry Rose. Yes, you can use any oil you prefer, not just coconut oil.

• Endurance 04/10/2014, 16:59

Thank you Epicureandigest for the wealth of information on your site.
    Is it true that turmeric is capable to slow down and even reverse retinitis pigmentosa, a degenerative retina disease? I would appreciate if you could point to other sources of information on this painful and frightening subject–blindness. THANK YOU!

• admin 07/10/2014, 21:24

Hello,
      There is limited literature regarding turmeric (using the active ingredient curcumin) for treating retinitis pigmentosa successfully. Studies show success in some types of the disease, so this is hopeful. However, as to how much…I really don’t know.

However, in your case I would recommend doing an internet search for dmso and retinitis pigmentosa you will be pleasantly surprised. There are studies dating back to the 60’s regarding greatly helping and even reversing RP.

Please let me know which path you decide to take and the outcome!

• Sandra 13/09/2014, 20:43

Hi there I used the turmeric fir the first time today.2 questions is it good for all types of cancer and can you body feel funny the first time u consume the turmeric I use it in a organic tea and coconut oil mixed together.

• admin 18/09/2014, 00:42

Hello Sandra,
      Turmeric has been used for many types of cancer but I can’t say if for all…there are so many! The mechanism by which it works ‘should’ work on all types I should think…but this is just my opinion. As to how you felt after your first time, it depends on dose. You did not mention how much. More is not always better and ‘feeling funny’ is quite vague. If you took a very large medicinal dose as a first time, you may have an upset stomach or other discomfort. Without knowing more, I can’t really help you on that. Sorry.

• Allie 13/09/2014, 08:50

My favorite prep for turmeric is dal tadka – lentils with a flavoring. Just boil lentils until soft, then add a portion of oil heated with spices. Turmeric, garlic, ginger makes a good start. I also love lemon juice with lentils. This is a little easier than a full-fledged curry, vegan or vegetarian for those who care, and gets that wonderful fiber benefit from legumes as well as the good stuff from as many spices as you care to add!

• admin 18/09/2014, 00:36

It’s delicious that way too. Love it!

• Linda C. 09/09/2014, 20:17

What an informative site!!!! Thank you SO much for your explanations and valuable knowledge. I started juicing in December, adding the fresh ground turmeric. I don’t know if it is because I have stopped using refined sugars or because of the GOOD stuff, but my joints are no longer on fire and have good flex. I am SOLD that natural is the best way to go, and realize there is SO much still to learn. Again….thank you for sharing your knowledge!

• admin 10/09/2014, 17:49

Thanks for your kind words. I write for readers like you and value your feedback.
      Juicing is alkalizing for the body and turmeric is such a multi-talented wonder so I am not surprised that your joints are happier. I will be updating this article with additional info I come across frequently and have dug deeper into. Possibly tonight or tomorrow at latest. So, I suggest you either check back or subscribe to my newsletter (and free ebook) for first hand updates and more great info!

• Http://Mzy.In/Comescoprirelanonimosuask212076 09/09/2014, 19:20

Aw, this was a really nice post. Taking the time and actual effort to create a top notch
    article… but what can I say… I put things off a whole
    lot and don’t manage to get nearly anything done.

• admin 10/09/2014, 17:56

Thanks, glad you like the article. Be sure to check back within a few days for an important update to the information, or subscribe (and get a free ebook) for firsthand updates and more.

• Matt 02/09/2014, 03:26

Hi, good site. I picked up some USDA Organic Turmeric by Nature’s Place from the spice rack in the organic section of the store. I have no health ailments but want to take it as a supplement. What would you consider the recommended dose be and should it be taken daily? Thank you for your feedback.

• admin 06/09/2014, 21:14

Hello Matt,
      In the article you will find that I mentioned the dose a few times…but I will sum it up for you. Recommended is up to 1.5 gram – so let’s say 1 to 1.5 gr. 1 gr. is roughly a level teaspoon. Please read again – very important – the How: and the the Fat/oil: section regarding the bio-availability. You’re welcome!

• shanu 30/08/2014, 21:16

This blog is amazing! I am currently taking one teaspoon turmeric twice daily and i feel great but recently i had boils on my skin and i don’t know why.. can overdose of turmeric cause boils? and can i take black pepper turmeric and honey together? if yes please tell me the dosage.. thank you :)

• admin 01/09/2014, 01:40

Hello Shanu,
      Thank you for your kind words :-) You did not mention why you take two teaspoons daily – for maintenance or a health issue. Be sure to take a break from it or any long term natural product (see last paragraph). Regarding the boils, I don’t see any connection between turmeric and boils which are caused by an infection of a hair follicle or oil gland. In fact, turmeric is also used in treating boils.
      Black pepper, turmeric and honey together – why not? Sounds good to me! I have used that combination in my yoghurt, sometimes replacing the honey for pure maple syrup! As far as dosage, from my understanding, one only needs a little of black pepper to assist in making the turmeric more bioavailable…and I am told it should be fresh, coarse grated…not the pre-ground powdered variety. The amount of honey is up to your personal taste.
      I will be updating the turmeric articles with new important info and tips. If you subscribe you will be notified of updates and new articles…or just keep checking back. I am travelling just now and internet connection is not easy.