Turmeric Golden Milk – A Life Changing Nourishing Drink

turmeric golden milk Golden Milk is an ancient Ayurvedic drink from India and is one of the easiest ways to benefit from the extraordinary powers of this near miracle rhizome of the turmeric plant.

Traditionally cow’s milk was used but you can use any ‘milk’ such as oat, rice, almond or whatever else you prefer.  It is an ideal drink for the evening or before you go to bed.  There are a few rules that must be observed no matter how you take your turmeric.

If you have read my other articles on turmeric then you are familiar with the problem of the bio-availability of turmeric and that some oil/fat MUST be added to or eaten with it and a little of freshly ground pepper.  Pepper contains piperine which boosts the bio-availability by 2000% according to scientific studies.  However, once pepper is ground, within 20 minutes the piperine begins to dissipate which is why freshly ground is so important. Not much is necessary neither of the oil/fat choice nor the pepper.

Why an oil/fat source?  Turmeric is hydrophobic which means it cannot dissolve in water but it easily dissolves in oil which makes it easier for the body to absorb.  Still, it is the addition of piperine (from fresh ground black pepper) that really boosts it.  Without the presence of the two, one is simply wasting the turmeric.  Unfortunately, most recipes for Golden Milk do not include the fresh ground black pepper.

You can read about the many benefits of turmeric here.

Basic Golden Milk Recipe:

1/4 tsp. turmeric (or 1/4 tsp. of turmeric paste and omit any additional oil)

a good grating or two of black pepper corns

1/2 tsp. coconut oil (or other favourite oil from a fruit, such as olive or avocado – omit if using turmeric paste)

125 ml. (+- 1/2 cup) water

125 ml. (+- 1/2 cup) milk of your choice

sweetener of choice (maple syrup, honey)

In a small pan, stir the turmeric in the oil to dissolve then add the water. Heat and allow to simmer gently a few minutes until it thickens slightly.  This can be between 5 to 8 minutes.  Add the milk and allow to heat through without boiling.  Remove from heat, add a few gratings of black pepper and add the sweetener.  Finished is your delicious health elixer.

As you get used to it, you can increase the turmeric to 1/2 with no need to increase the oil.  It will be sufficient.

For me, the addition of cinnamon eliminates the need for a sweetener as true Ceylon cinnamon is sweet enough.

Optional:  Add a few shakes of Ceylon cinnamon, crushed cardamom seeds or both with the turmeric.

More related articles:

Dosage and Method: Turmeric    Spice: Turmeric – Beyond Curry

Turmeric – Take It With Food and Why

Turmeric – Does Your Supply Pass the Test

Is Raw Turmeric Better Than Powdered?    Junk Journalism: Turmeric and Co.

Inflammation & Turmeric: Just Symptomatic Relief?

87 comments… add one
  • Nicolepreog 25/02/2017, 23:35

It’s a shame you don’t have a donate button! I’d without a doubt donate to this brilliant blog!

• admin 26/02/2017, 18:42

Thanks for your kind words! You can donate by purchasing my Ultimate Turmeric Guide. Just look for the image on every page. 😉

• Brooks 07/02/2017, 02:21

Hi! could I add some cayenne and other spices or herbs to this in order to benefit myself without having to ingest multiple different concoctions?

• admin 07/02/2017, 23:54

Hello Brooks,
      Sure you can…and for myself I like a little cayenne and ginger with it as well as cinnamon. Sometimes all together other times I just want the turmeric and cinnamon – depends what my body wants. But my main ‘dose’ centers around the turmeric and whatever else I add is minimal.

However, if your reasons for combining everything at once, including whatever herbs you may want to add for the ‘convenience’ of getting it all in at once – this can be a big mistake.

A little of this and a little of that mixed in with a good dose of turmeric, is no problem. If however, you want to take serious doses of cayenne, turmeric and other herbs that share similar ‘benefits and side effects’ such as lowering BP, or herbs whose known side effect is inhibiting platelet aggregation (ie turmeric, cinnamon, cayenne, ginger) then you may be asking for trouble. A case of ‘too much of too much too many times’.

The idea of ‘get it down all at once and get it over with’ is wrong thinking (not implying your motives are that). Natural methods often use the smaller doses several times a day and often alternate one herb separate from another herb that may have different benefits for different purposes, but share the same side effect – that may not be so beneficial taken at the same time.

Herbs (which spices are classified as in herbology) are metabolized differently than say pharmaceutical drugs that may have time-release effects.

Perhaps think more creatively about how you can incorporate doses of the herbs you need…such as in soups, scrambled eggs, stirred into a latte, smoothie, in salad dressings etc.

I hope this helps!

• BARIDILO DEEKOR 01/02/2017, 12:29

Greetings. Thanks for your help through this research. I just started using turmeric and I’m full of life, pains and inflammations disappears in days. Please can I use Turmeric alongside Grapefruit juice? God bless. Deekor

• admin 03/02/2017, 22:19

Hello Deekor,
      I am glad you have such a good response with turmeric…though I am not surprised. It is quite common that within such a short time, people have ‘gotten their life back’ because the inflammation was reduced or disappeared etc.
      Although grapefruit juice is known to interact with many drug medicines, I have never heard of nor could find any such reaction with turmeric (and thanks for subscribing!).

• Katherine 06/01/2017, 19:09

I listened to a programme on the radio the other day about turmeric and I was so excited to think I may be able to ease my knee pain (arthritis) without the excessive amounts of pain killers I take. I love to walk with my dog but if I walk too far my knees swell and the pain lasts for days. I am 61 and still very active (or I try to be). Having searched many sites, yours is the one that is so very helpful and honest and I am eager to learn more and start with daily turmeric as soon as possible. How do I subscribe and how much is it? I have so many questions but the more I read the more I understand. Thank you.

• admin 06/01/2017, 23:47

Katherine, thank you for your encouraging and kind words!

Welcome to the world of turmeric! I will be glad to answer your questions if you can’t find answers on this site. I just received notification of your purchase of my Ultimate Turmeric Guide – thank you! There is a LOT of information in it not easy to find elsewhere. 😉

By the way, starting off with the Golden Milk is an excellent idea!

• Te 24/11/2016, 02:10

thank you so much for such great information, what is the daily recommended dose when using the paste?

• admin 24/11/2016, 22:39

Hello Te,
      You can use the same amounts as suggested for the powder. Here is an excerpt from my 55 page ebook The Ultimate Turmeric Guide and Protocol:

Because cooking makes the curcumin in turmeric more bio-available 1/4 tsp of the paste is considered a basic dose, but unlike the powdered form it can be increased to double that without fear of wasting it (see Protocol 1, p. 24).
      Still, the rule stands: never the full daily dose at once, but divided throughout the day.

I hope that helps 😉

• Markus 08/11/2016, 21:59

Can I do the same with Cayenne Pepper instead of Tumeric

• admin 08/11/2016, 23:52

Hello Markus,

You certainly can take cayenne in any form you prefer, even in warmed milk, or oat/rice etc ‘milk’, but it is not Golden Milk. It is something completely different.

However, although cayenne has its significant benefits, it is nowhere nearly as powerful and beneficial as turmeric.

A good combination for warm milk is a little cayenne, a little cinnamon, a little ginger and the turmeric in warmed milk with turmeric playing a greater role. And perhaps a little honey.

I hope this helps.

Patricia

• Sid 25/10/2016, 11:00

Do a pinch of turmeric powder mixed with a pinch of dry ginger powder can be consumed with a glass of plain water ? Is it good for Vata + Pitta natured person to be consumed on empty stomach everyday at morning time? Please share your opinion.

• admin 28/10/2016, 00:32

Hello Sid,
      You can take turmeric or ginger as you like, it does not have to be cow’s milk. Personally, I like it with oat milk. What IS important is that there is some fat/oil and black pepper with it. Please see Dosage and Method for turmeric to understand why…otherwise you will me wasting its potential. As far as Vata or Pitta, don’t worry. It is adaptogenic and good for either.

You CAN take it on an empty stomach using just water, but why? It is best taken with food as this increases its absorbability. Taken in milk counts as a food… and this is excellent for taking before going to bed too.

• Julia 16/10/2016, 08:30

Hi, I can’t find this answer, sorry if it’s here and I missed it: Can the golden milk (not just a turmeric paste) be made ahead for a few days and kept in the refrigerator? I assume it doesn’t need to be served warm.

• admin 16/10/2016, 13:30

Hello Julia,
      Sure, no problem at all! I think most people drink it warm right away as it is a kind of comfort food and can help with sleep. 🙂

• mark 11/10/2016, 21:50

do you know if you can simply put all the ingredients in a milk frothier and give it a spin

• admin 13/10/2016, 11:36

Hello Mark,
      I suppose one could…after the turmeric has been cooked as in the recipe. You could also just put all ingredients together except the pepper in a pan and cook it that way before using a frother. Stir in the freshly ground black pepper either before putting in the frother or after. Cooking the turmeric makes it far more bioavailable.

• Jeanne 02/07/2016, 14:52

Is it critical to heat on the stove? In South Florida (90s daily) I avoid using the stove in the summer if possible. Thanks.

• admin 02/07/2016, 16:11

I know what you mean about summer heat. Here in my part of Spain, we have similar temperatures. Don’t even think about using a microwave, if this is what you are hinting at? 😉 To answer your question, yes it is critical. Make it at night when it is cooler. It is just a small amount of water that you gently cook it in for such a short time. You can continue to heat it with the addition of the milk, or pour the water/coconut oil/turmeric blend once ‘cooked’ into a mug and then add cold milk. You can also make double the amount and keep the rest in the refrigerator. Another way around this is, is to make turmeric paste once a week or two weeks, then take out the amount you need and stir it into warmish milk (or cold). The turmeric paste is cooked anyway. For how to make it and more tips, subscribe! After you confirm your subscription via an email you will receive, I will see your address and send you my turmeric ebook with far more info in it than on my site here. Deeply researched, scientifically and traditionally backed with plenty of resources.

• Maria 02/09/2016, 15:33

I see you advise against using the microwave to heat the Golden Milk. oops…guilty! How is it harmful? Will it degrade the turmeric/lessen benefits? I am heeding your advise…stovetop it is, but want to be able to explain to family why this is essential.

• admin 02/09/2016, 19:02

Hello Maria,
          The discussion about microwaved food pros and cons is an endless one and can be analyzed on various levels…and without end. For me, I use the example of X-Rays. In its earliest use, no one thought there was any problem regarding safety because there was no immediate, perceived health issue. At the time, the technology was not in place to even measure/diagnose damage.

We are only as ‘smart’ as the technology we develop and each generation congratulates itself on its superior advancements. Later generations look back and are often shocked at the ignorance of the past and shake their heads…as we do now when reading about the history of X-Rays, the deformities, burns and deaths because precautions were not known about nor this new ‘X-Ray’ fully understood.

The following is enough information for me:
          Dr. Lita Lee of Hawaii reported in the December 9, 1989 Lancet:

“Microwaving baby formulas converted certain trans-amino acids into their synthetic cis-isomers. Synthetic isomers, whether cis-amino acids or trans-fatty acids, are not biologically active. Further, one of the amino acids, L-proline, was converted to its d-isomer, which is known to be neurotoxic (poisonous to the nervous system) and nephrotoxic (poisonous to the kidneys). It’s bad enough that many babies are not nursed, but now they are given fake milk (baby formula) made even more toxic via microwaving.”

If its not good enough for babies (warming mother’s milk), it’s not good enough for me.

Further:
          Decreased bio-availability of vitamin B complex, vitamin C, vitamin E, essential minerals and lipotropics factors in all food tested.

In the end, I think to each their own and all things in moderation. For me, most microwave tests I have read so far concentrate on the nutrient aspect and not the healing constituents in herbal matter which are neither vitamins nor minerals. I say, if I am going to be so conscientious about using herbal material for my health, why would I risk possibly compromising it?

The greatest factor though, and a problem I see with microwave lifestyle is the total disconnect from our food because speed is all that counts. That attitude is a great part of the obesity phenomena…one can consume a 900 calorie meal within minutes without thinking about it because it took mere minutes to heat it. It is mindlessness, not mindfulness.

And anyone who claims that they don’t ‘cook’ with a microwave but merely ‘warms’ the food up in it…is fooling themselves.

We should disconnect from our stress and worries for a moment as we warm or cook our food…enjoy the process of it and of caring for ourselves and loved ones. Being mindful.

• Deb Grohs 02/07/2016, 13:37

My hubby is undergoing radiatiotherapy after surgery for removal of a malignant salivary gland in the roof of his mouth. What method and dose of turmeric would you suggest him to take systemically and could you suggest an appropriate recipe for an effective mouth rinse as well? Thanks so much.

• admin 02/07/2016, 16:43

Hello Deb,
      Good idea to be looking into turmeric for your husband. There is much scientific literature regarding the benefits of turmeric to counteract the effects of radiation therapy and I will be sending you a message regarding that.

To answer your question regarding how much to take, if I were in your husband’s situation, I would start off with 2 doses daily for a week and see how I am with that and over the next few days increasing to 4 times daily for at least a few months before considering tapering off to 2-3 times daily. I would definitely make it a part of my daily diet…as a food supplement that has amazing benefits, it can be incorporated into nearly every food. In tomato sauces it rather much disappears (the taste which for me is mild anyway), salad dressings, rice, scrambled eggs etc.

A good mouth rinse is to gentle simmer 1 good teaspoon of the powder in water for several minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool. Use a few tablespoons of this and gargle and swish for at least a minutes. Don’t rinse it out right away. Wait at least 10 min. Brush teeth with a little baking soda and salt mixed an equal amount of white kaolin clay powder. The turmeric will not stain the teeth and he will notice whiter teeth as a safe side effect 😉 . I would gargle several times a day. Brushing teeth with natural soap is a good alternative to what I suggested. He won’t notice it much as when one brushes, the tongue is pulled back anyway and in this way one avoids too much use of chemical laden commercial tooth paste.

(I haven’t used commercial tooth paste in years. I make my own tooth powder as I suggested above, probably half kaolin and 1/4 salt 1/4 baking powder. I also brush with turmeric about once a week. I use a dedicated manual toothbrush for this. It will turn yellow. Teeth and gums? Healthy.)

• Greg 13/06/2016, 09:51

I have never tried “golden milk,” but I do have four favorite ways of using turmeric, three of them every day and another a couple of times per week.

First, I add coconut oil, turmeric powder, black pepper, cayenne and a touch of salt to a cup of fresh, hot, homemade bone broth (one cup every morning and another every evening).

Second, as a side dish to my main meal of the day every afternoon I mix flaxseed oil, turmeric powder, black pepper, cayenne and some fresh pressed garlic into a couple of tablespoons of cottage cheese.

Third, I always have a mixture of several fresh veggies (different colors) lightly steamed together as part of my afternoon meal. One of my ingredients every day is some fresh turmeric root. I serve it up with both butter and extra virgin olive oil, along with apple cider vinegar, black pepper, a touch of salt and a light sprinkling of rosemary, thyme and/or oregano.

Fourth, I have a serving of rice with my main meal a couple of times per week, serving it with butter, turmeric powder, black pepper, fresh pressed garlic, salt and a touch of cayenne.

To my way of thinking, I’m not “taking” turmeric in carefully measured “doses” as if I were taking some kind of medication or supplement. I just use it as a spice or ingredient in the foods that I prepare for myself and would be eating or drinking anyway. All the wonderful health benefits of turmeric just come along for the ride. I may very well be consuming more of it at a time (often more than a full teaspoon) than my body can actually make good use of, so somebody who is into “taking” it instead of just eating it might say that I am just “wasting” a lot of it; but that is really not an issue for me. Also, I don’t take any kind of medications at all, ever, not even aspirin, so I’m not worried about there being some kind of “interaction.” As far as I’m concerned, turmeric is not a “supplement.” It’s just another healthy food that I eat every day, like coconut oil and garlic.

• admin 13/06/2016, 11:26

That is perfect, Greg and is the traditional Asian and Indian way to ‘take’ it. It is first and foremost a food and obviously you like it (so do I). However, for many people who have health issues and don’t like the taste or are not adventurous enough to work it into their daily food imaginatively, minimum amounts and frequency are a necessary guide for them. The question of ‘wasting’ it is for those who have specific health issues and don’t take it properly or still have the ‘more is better’ mindset.

Taking it as a food and enjoying it or taking it to target specific health issues are two very different things. In this context, turmeric – like many other herbs and plants, serves a dual purpose.

Used in food liberally as how you describe, is never ‘wasted’ in that sense because it is flavouring and seasoning your food. The excess (like too much of a vitamin) yes, gets passed out, but what does remain is what is healthful and effective.

Great comment, thanks!

• Jean 20/05/2016, 06:08

I just started taking betaine hydrochloride for stomach issues that I’ve been having. I have stopped taking the proton inhibitors as I feel they just are not working anymore. I’m wondering if the turmeric would have any interference with the Bentaine Hcl? Thank you. Jean

• admin 21/05/2016, 00:44

Good for you that you are off the proton pump inhibitors, Jean. But as the PPI is specific for the reduction of stomach acid, I am wondering why you are taking betaine hydrochloride which helps increase stomach acid? To answer your question about turmeric, taking properly WITH food and either as the Golden Milk or as described in my article on dosage and method, I don’t see a problem. Turmeric gently helps the stomach produce acid, necessary for digesting proteins. However, for peptic ulcers…not a good idea to take it until cured of them.

Not knowing your specific stomach issue you mentioned I really can’t offer much. Have a look at these two links I found for you. In the first link, the #1 mentions not to take betaine h. with anti-inflammatories as these may damage the stomach lining. Turmeric is a powerful anti-inflammatory…BUT…is protective of the stomach and digestive system in general.

Btw, before I met my husband, he was on a plethora of drugs and hating it. One of them was Omeprazole, also a proton pump inhibitor…to ‘protect his stomach’ from some of the side effects of the other drugs. However, it also inhibits stomach acid…which is seldom sufficient after a certain age and a known problem. He is off all drugs now and happier, healthier. But…he is a ‘young’ 75 with classic insufficient stomach acid problems. What helps him is about 1 tsp. of ACV (apple cider vinegar) in a smallish amount of water before meals. Problem solved.

Just passing above info on to you. Obviously you may have other health issues and the ACV may or may not work for you.

Hope this helps. If you have more questions, contact me via the contact link in the menu.

• Ellarine Batiste 09/08/2016, 19:49

Thank you so very much for your sharing. I have been taking Omeprazole for the pass 5 years and would like to get off of it. I will definitely try the ACV. I would also appreciate information on using liquid organic tumeric extract. did you also add the tumeric to the ACV.

• admin 10/08/2016, 00:11

Thank you for your kind words, Ellarine. With the very long list of side effects, I can understand your concern about Omeprazole. It is often prescribed as a ‘stomach protector’ when taking other meds. It lowers stomach acid, which has pros and cons of its own. In the over 45 population, lower stomach acidity is a problem of its own and is quite common, especially as we age. Low stomach acidity can mimic the very symptoms of GERD, heartburn and acid reflex – all associated with HIGH acidity. So the doctors prescribe Omeprazole, which can make matters worse over time.

Regarding the liquid turmeric – I am still looking into this. I am a great fan of tinctures and extracts, however just not convinced yet about the turmeric extracts…which are very expensive. I think it is a great idea when travelling…but as of this writing am not convinced of it being better than a quality powder taken properly.

ACV (apple cider vinegar to those reading this and don’t know) – I take it sometimes in water 15 minutes before a meal. An exception would be what I mention in my spinach article regarding iron or as part of a dressing for my salad. Turmeric I take WITH a meal. I hope this helps.

• Jackie 24/04/2016, 18:11

Thank you for the wonderful information! I have been using turmeric to reduce osteoarthritis pain. It has helped immensely! I have basically quit taking my prescribed medication and feel little to no joint pain as long as I get two doses of turmeric tea daily! I will take medication once a week if I need to. I have gone from two pills a day (60 per month)! to 4-6 per month! I am so very grateful to cease my medication as I have taken it for years and feel it has wreaked havoc on my gut.
    When I brew my tea is it important to leave the sediment behind or should I drink it? I use water, coconut oil, turmeric, cinnamon and add ground pepper when it comes off the five minute simmer.

• admin 24/04/2016, 21:45

Hello Jackie,
      What a great testimonial! I hear this frequently from my readers and it always makes me smile. In answer to your question, I would be sure to drink the sediment as well, I do. And my turmeric drink is similar to yours except I sometimes add ginger fresh or powder (I use half milk/water or half oatmilk/water). Thank you for your kind words, Jackie!

• Joy A. Nino 15/04/2016, 13:59

i have polycystic ovary syndrome and found out that i have diabetes, what is the best way for me to use turmeric and cinnamon to help me lower my blood sugar and have normal ovaries.. i am doing some research about diabetes and found this site. i am doing all i know so that i will be weaned from my medicines ( was prescribed with sitagliptin every morning, and 12 units of insulin glargine every 6 in the evening) i don’t want to become insulin dependent. and since i have some of the powders in my pantry. is it ok if i simmer both the turmeric and cinnamon in milk before drinking it at night? or what would be the right amount for me to take for the whole day?
    your advice will be deeply appreciated.

• admin 15/04/2016, 23:15

Hello Joy,
      Interesting that you should ask about cinnamon and turmeric for your condition (so sorry to read about this). Just today I was reading a short report on PCOS in which a team of US researchers from Colombia University, Universit of Hawaii and the US Department of Agriculture who tested a small group of women with PCOS. They were given 333mg (roughly 1/3 gram) cinnamon thrice daily. After 8 weeks those taking the cinnamon showed a 17% decrease in fasting glucose, a significant decrease in insulin resistance and a 21% reduction in levels of blood sugar after a glucose tolerance test. The researchers found the results ‘significantly interesting’ worthy of further testing. Interestingly, the cinnamon variety used is cassia, according to Dr. Aggarwal of the Anderson Cancer Center in Houston, Texas.

PCOS cysts of course are hormone triggered and further complicated when diabetes is present (usually goes hand in hand) and cysts of any kind are a response to inflammation of the tissues and here is where turmeric shines. One reputable site suggests for PCOS ‘For therapeutic purposes the recommended dosage is 400-600mg thrice daily of standardized curcumin powder, or 1-3 g daily of dried powdered root’ and claims that cysts can be dissolved with this regimen within a short time.

I cannot confirm that with any scientific or medical abstracts. What I do find in searching my sources for medical and scientific information is that ‘there is emerging evidence’ of the application of cinnamon for PCOS…but less information pointing in that direction with turmeric. However, turmeric is a known adaptogen, meaning it seems to help wherever a problem is. Turmeric benefits every organ of the body – it cannot hurt to use it in theraputic doses suggested along with cassia cinnamon (if you are in N. America most likely this is the cinnamon you are using).

There is evidence that turmeric also helps with diabetes Type 2 as well.

One site whose information is science based and has much further info on PCOS is http://www.greenmedinfo.com/disease/polycystic-ovary-syndrome
      There are at least 29 abstracts there and much more. Wading through medical/scientific material is not for everyone…my tip to you is to scroll thru the abstracts to the ‘Conclusions’ at the end for a summary. Not a bad idea to print out some of those for your dr.

In answer to your last question, dear…yes you certainly can simmer the both in milk…a great way to take your last dose of cinnamon and turmeric. In fact, that is how I take it…with cinnamon and also ginger most times. And always a little honey and black pepper once poured into a mug.

Be sure to divide your total therapeutic doses (cinnamon and turmeric) over 3-4 doses a day and read my Dose and Method for Turmeric article. It explains why black pepper and and a fat source are crucial. Cinnamon is far more bioavailable however, black pepper enhances ALL nutrients it is taken with. I hope this helps. Contact me via my contact form if you have any more questions. Wishing you all the best, Joy!

• Te 24/11/2016, 01:38

I read in multiple articles that caccia cinnamon is harmful for daily use, it’s the Ceylon kind that should be used daily,

• admin 24/11/2016, 22:46

In large amounts, that is true, especially for children and older persons. Cassia cinnamon is commonly used in N. America and usually is not identified as such. A sprinkle daily of cassia cinnamon is not harmful (like on top of a latte), but larger amounts daily for managing diabetes, for example is not a good idea. This is why I mentioned in this article about using Ceylon cinnamon. Search this site for other articles about cinnamon (true cinnamon, Ceylon) and the differences. I use Ceylon cinnamon with my turmeric, ginger and cayenne, probably about 1/8 or more daily.

• Lainie 11/04/2016, 11:51

Hi! I’m so excited to have found your site. Thank you so much for posting so much useful information. I appreciate all your time and effort spent. I have just discovered the health benefits of turmeric. I am an avid exercise enthusiast. I was diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis in my knees many years ago, and suffer flare-ups. In addition to that,I tore my meniscus a year ago and have bursitis in my knees. When I exercise, my knees feel great, but at rest, they ache. While researching natural anti-inflammatories, I came across turmeric. I buy the organic root, use a microplane to grate about 1.5-3 grams into a cup, add a fresh grinding of black pepper and hot water. Then I drink it like a tea. I chew and swallow any pieces of the root on the bottom of my mug. I follow it with a chaser of 1/2 tsp. of organic coconut oil or some nuts. I do this once or twice a day. I’d appreciate your thoughts on this regimen.

• admin 12/04/2016, 01:38

Hello Laine!
      Thank you for your kind words, they are much appreciated.
      So sorry for your knee problems, I know you will feel (and are already) even more benefit the longer you take turmeric. For therapeutic purposes, I never suggest raw turmeric as there is less curcumin in it because of the water that contributes to the weight. However, the piperine in the pepper and the coconut oil certainly helps with the bioavailability of turmeric….which you most likely read about in my Dosage and Method article. Your routine, drinking it like a tea etc is fine in my opinion for maintance but I really suggest for your situation to consider using the dry…and take it at least twice a day.
      The maximum benefits of enhanced bioavailability of turmeric is realized when it is heated (like for the milk) pepper and some oil. If heating it is not an option for you then still the powder, pepper and oil/fat stirred into something will be more beneficial. If using full fat yogurt then coconut oil is not necessary (but take it anyway as it is a fantastic oil). My turmeric protocol ebook will be ready soon and free to subscribers (blatant hint:-) ). I hope this helps. So glad you like my site and that you are a turmeric fan too!

• Kay Flett 07/03/2016, 16:36

Is turmeric good for copd

• admin 08/03/2016, 01:44

Hello Kay,
      Turmeric has proven to be helpful for COPD both in practical use and as reported in medical abstracts. I would suggest first trying twice daily 1/4 tsp turmeric with 1/8 tsp pepper in any food, yogurt etc that you prefer before trying therapeutic doses…or before taking curcumin capsules.
      I have found this in my notes referring to therapeutic doses for COPD from Dr. Braly:

What is the therapeutic dose of Turmeric? In my experience people supplementing with Turmeric (standardized to contain 95% curcuminoids) when taking the recommended 400-800mg per day, are often not taking therapeutic amounts. Therapeutic amounts are in the range of 1,600mg to 3,600mg of Turmeric daily. Assuming each capsule of Turmeric is 400mg, this represents four to nine capsules daily.
      My recommendation for COPD patients, especially those with frequent, productive coughs poorly controlled with medication, is six 400mg capsules in the morning just before breakfast and another three 400mg capsules in the mid-morning – a total of 3600mg daily.
      James Braly, MD, medical consultant
      —–
      I hope this helps!

• Kay Flett 06/03/2016, 14:35

Can you put as much milk and water in as you like

• admin 08/03/2016, 01:38

Certainly you can adjust the ratios water to milk as you like. Some people who do not like milk use oat, rice or almond milk instead.

• Kay Flett 05/03/2016, 14:28

When I make turmeric mixture it doesn’t go thick can I leave it to cool when I make it

• admin 05/03/2016, 18:08

Hello Kay,
      The turmeric milk doesn’t really ‘thicken’ up, it just seems a bit thicker than just heated milk. You can drink it when it cools down as well, although drinking it warm is better. Don’t forget the black pepper, ok?

• Deborah marcel 22/01/2016, 01:09

Cld u pls tell me if this is a good recipe for turmeric paste?

Combine 1t ginger, 1/2t cinnamon, 1/4 t salt in small bowl.
    Combine 1/2c turmeric, 1 1/2 c water in small pan. Over low heat stir constantly w wooden spoon till blended.
    Add spices and simmer on low for 3 min till u have thick smooth paste. Turn off heat then add oil. Stir till smooth.
    Add several grates of pepper and honey. Put in glass jar. Put lid on after completely cool. Shake well.
    Lasts 2-3 weeks in fridge. For golden milk add 2T.
    Thx!

• admin 09/02/2016, 15:08

Sure…why not, but the salt is not necessary. I would leave out the honey because the paste can be used in any other savoury food such as soups and stews, vegetable dishes. Honey can always be added later, for example when using the paste for turmeric milk.

• Ashley 20/01/2016, 02:48

I normally just heat up some almond milk with a 1/2 tsp of turmeric powder (just the spice from the grocery store – I don’t know if this matters) in the microwave and stir and drink. Does this still work? I’m taking it more for a boil/cyst like place on my leg and in also using the paste of just water/turmeric on the place. I’d like all the benefits but more for that.

• admin 10/02/2016, 22:09

The grocery store turmeric ‘may’ have fillers so ordering online or from a health food shop for the organic is much safer. Please read this article: http://epicureandigest.com/2014/03/12/seven-adulterated-spices-most-likely-in-your-kitchen-now/ Also, please read the dosage information also on the site. 1/2 tsp at a time is wasting it…please don’t microwave it! Take time for yourself and heat it conventionally. How did your boil do with the turmeric applied?

• Michelle 13/01/2016, 04:43

Can I drink tumeric with cold milk? Or do I always have to warm it up?

• admin 09/02/2016, 15:13

It is always more bio available when heated.

• Marianne 04/01/2016, 14:07

I have a stomach ulcer and I don’t think I can do black pepper.Can I leave it out or is there something else I can use in place of the pepper?

• admin 09/02/2016, 15:22

Until your ulcer is healed, then leave it out however, in your case I would highly advise making a paste of the turmeric which will be much more bioavailable than the uncooked powder. Be sure to include a little oil. After a month or so, slowly add a little ground pepper and see how you do.

• joseph 27/05/2015, 23:48

does turmeric thats added to a cooking dish lose its benefits? since its being cooked for a while?
    thanks

• admin 30/05/2015, 21:03

Hello Joseph,
      Not at all…infact it enhances the effect. Please read more information I have on the blog about turmeric and adding a little fresh ground black pepper and its piperine content and how it makes turmeric (or most other nutrients) more bio-available.

• Arous 26/05/2015, 06:05

I am 50 years old and I have ovarian cysts. I am taking Turmeric and black pepper1 teaspoon with cold water ,
    I feel so good and I don’t have depression , but I don’t know if it’s goog for May cysts, and I can drink with cold water?

• admin 30/05/2015, 21:10

Hello Arous,
      I cannot comment much on ovaian cysts and turmeric. However, here is an excellent link for you with information that will be helpful: http://www.turmericforhealth.com/turmeric-benefits/turmeric-for-cysts
      Also, I would not take turmeric with water. It is fat soluable and needs the presence of some fat (be it in full milk, yogurt…etc). It will not fully disolve in water. There are several ways to take turmeric specific to a problem. In your case, you will not benefit with it sitting in your intestines but need it systemically. Please read further in depth info I have on this blog regarding turmeric and how/why to take it.
      Cooking it slightly in milk or whatever milk substitute you prefer (almond, oat etc) or even water with a little healthy oil such as coconut oil or olive will greatly inhance its absorbtion.

• Mary 18/05/2015, 17:43

Can you make this ahead and chill it to drink later?

• admin 30/05/2015, 21:20

Yes, certainly! Try it also with other ‘milks’ such as almond, oat, rice. Delicious too!

• Murtaza Mandviwala 12/05/2015, 07:54

Turmeric and honey dissolve readily in hot whole milk if stirred well. I had to take it when I was a child and when sick. But they would also add a raw egg to it!

• admin 30/05/2015, 23:31

Very true. But let the turmeric simmer a bit in the milk as this makes it more bio-available. Add the honey and black pepper (highly recommended – read Dosage and Method for the reasons why) off heat at the end.

• marie therese Hanulak 04/05/2015, 01:54

How can we tell if the tumeric has been iradiated or not?

I’ve been taking it for a week and with your help, i see that I’ve been doing it ll wrong.
    Great info…………..Now I need to buy a eper grinder.

• admin 31/05/2015, 00:21

See my reply to you above!

• Chris Gillespie 02/05/2015, 23:48

My recipe, invented yesterday = delicious!

1/4 cup dried turmeric powder
    8 energetic grinds of whole black peppercorns
    1/2 tsp hot cayenne (chilli) pepper powder
    1 tbsp cocoa powder
    1 heaped tsp solidified coconut oil
    1/2 cup coconut ‘milk’ (tinned, used in indian and asian cooking)

…all simmered slowly together with sufficient water into a thick paste that pulls away from the pot easily.

The drink:

1 generous teaspoon of the above paste
    2 tsp ginger pulp
    2 tsp cinnamon powder
    1 cup cows milk
    2 tbsp coconut ‘milk’
    1 tsp honey
    1 heaped tsp solid coconut oil

…brought to a gentle frothing boil, then served hot!

• admin 31/05/2015, 00:24

Great recipe. Thanks for sharing! I would only suggest to add the pepper and the honey at the end and off heat. Both lose their potency when cooked.

• amy 01/02/2016, 13:16

are these 1 days worth? can they be made then stored in fridge?

• admin 09/02/2016, 11:48

Yes, Chris, the recipe is for one serving. Why store it? Drink it and enjoy it. Take the time to make it fresh each time, although there is nothing to prevent you from making up more.

• Chris Gillespie 02/05/2015, 23:32

Two days ago I was unexpectedly diagnosed with advanced artheriosclerosis, with a calcium figure of 585. This came as a shock, as at 57 I live a healthy life, never smoked, no more than two standard alcoholic drinks a day, heaps of fresh air and exercise.

This news provided the motivation to explore turmeric-based therapy, one of many things that had been sitting on my TDL for a long time.

Made myself a complex Golden Milk yesterday (recipe to follow, separate comment) and loved it.

I do NOT want to get involved in using statins… so what further advice would you give, to help me begin to reverse this threat to my health? I have yet to book a session with my GP, but the people running the tests told me that my chances of a coronary event in the next few years were very high.

Thanks again.

• admin 31/05/2015, 00:35

Contacted you privately.

• Chris Gillespie 02/05/2015, 23:24

Due to inernet volatility, I’ll make 2 separate comments, a question first and my recipe second.

Q: For most indian spices (including turmeric and black pepper) it is common practice to cook first in ghee or other fat/oil, to fully release the flavour. And yet many recipes for golden milk seem to advocate heating the powder directly in the milk, which of course never goes over boiling point.

Is it better to cook the spice first in fat or oil befre adding the aqueous liquid… or are some of the medicinal properties destroyed this way… or is it immaterial?

Thanks for your material

• admin 31/05/2015, 00:32

Well, either technique addresses two different purposes. Cooking in ghee is a culinary practice, and yes will release more flavour. So we are pleasing the tastebuds.

However, for medicinal purposes, it is either cooked first in milk (or half milk half water) to which one often adds a little oil such as coconut oil and gently simmers (just barely bubbling, not boiling) for a short while 5 min or so. To make a paste of it to keep in the refridgerator, one cooks it with sufficient water to make a paste and cooks it for a similar time. Either way, add the black pepper at the end so as not to damage the piperine. Hope this helps.

• Julie Power 08/04/2015, 12:44

I just ran into your website and am very excited to try using turmeric to help with my pre-diabetes and hypothyroid. (Maybe it will help loose the weight I have gained from my thyroid problems) Should I use fresh ground turmeric or powdered turmeric in the Golden Milk?

• admin 01/06/2015, 00:41

Hello there…I did not receive notification of your post – a bug in Word Press. Sorry. I would suggest using the powdered turmeric as this is more convenient. Add a good amount of true Ceylon cinnamon (search this site for cinnamon information), such as 1/8 tsp to the golden milk. Drink the Golden Milk at night and during the day, take another dose of turmeric in food or yogurt etc, also with cinnamon during the day. In any case, do not forget the black pepper (see this article on the reason why). Best of luck!

• Donna 16/03/2015, 16:23

I was searching for natural ways to lower blood pressure and came across this site. I have Metabolic Syndrome and High Blood Pressure. I was put on meds to lower it and gained 15 pounds. It only lowered my pressure a little bit. I stopped my meds and now am searching for a natural way. Is it better to do the capsules? Also, is it ok that I buy the regular spice powder that I would get from the grocery store? Has anyone else had good results with their blood pressure taking this?

• admin 17/03/2015, 00:22

Hello Donna,
      I’ll start with your last question first. Please read this post on quality of turmeric: http://epicureandigest.com/2014/12/19/turmeric-does-your-supply-pass-the-test/ The regular spice from a grocery store ‘may’ be ok, but it is better to really be sure as to its purity because you will not be using it now and again, but for medicinal purposes in decent doses.
      Please also read my posts on cayenne (regarding your blood pressure). Turmeric certainly helps with HBP but I think you will find cayenne your best ally. It works very well. I would use them both simply because of all the other benefits of turmeric. In my opinion, diligent and correct use of turmeric a few times a day and with patience, I think the metabolic syndrome will be greatly improved. As I am sure you know, metabolic syndrome involves several other conditions that have to do with fat, sugar metabolism, insulin resistance and inflammation. The liver is always involved in this so it must be maximally supported so it can do its job better dealing with fat and sugar. Turmeric is excellent for the liver, as is Milk Thistle extract (look that one up).

There are several positive medical abstracts on this such as this one: Targeting Inflammation-Induced Obesity and Metabolic Diseases by Curcumin and Other Nutraceuticals. Aggarwal, Bharat B. [ed.] Robert J. Cousins. Gainesville: Annual Reviews, August 2010, Annual Review of Nutrition, Vol. 30, pp. 173-199. DOI: 10.1146/annurev.nutr.012809.104755; http://www.annualreviews.org/doi/abs/10.1146/annurev.nutr.012809.104755. ISSN: 0199-9885.

The above research was done using pure curcumin and not whole turmeric. However, this is a common scientific approach that ignores any other component of the whole as useless. Those other components work synergistically with curcumin. Add black pepper and the piperine in it boosts not only the effectiveness of the whole, but also making it also more bioavailable.
      I encourage you to read the other turmeric articles on this site to understand the importance of HOW to take it properly for full effectiveness. I hope this answers your question. Give turmeric and cayenne a try, say for a few months then compare then with now…and prepare for positive surprise!

• chris b 11/03/2015, 14:02

I have to share this…a couple of months ago I discovered your website and became an immediate subscriber. I began doing my own research on tumeric and the benefits of this wonderful spice. It all began with tumeric golden milk and a desire to cleanse my liver….fast forward to today…like dominoes one good decision lead to another and another….my digestive performance SIGNIFICANTLY improved, my weight has dropped as well as my blood pressure, my energy level has increased, the benefits go on…thus my praise to you and your website for planting the seed…..however the intent of my email is to share with you my morning shake version of your turrmeric elixer…I prepare the turmeric with coconut oil pepper and water and simmer a few minutes…remove from heat ….in blender add one frozen banana, one and half cup frozen blueberries, splash of vanilla’ one cup almond milk and turmeric mix…blend until creamy and…..ENJOY!! I’m sure others have done similar variations, but its so good it is worth mentioning again!!

• admin 12/03/2015, 12:41

My goodness, CHRIS!
      It is for people like you that I write for. You have made my day, my week, my month! Thank you so much for your kind words and testimonial, it is much appreciated! If you don’t mind, I will add your recipe to the recipe section and credit it to you. I am still away from home, but as soon as I get a chance I will make it and upload a photo (not so sure I can get blueberries at the moment in Spain, though!) 🙂 🙂

• Helen Barker 04/03/2015, 13:28

What a wonderful site this is. I have made your golden milk for the first time today and it is delicious (I added a 1/2 tsp of raw honey). I have only recently found out how turmeric can help with a multitude of ailments. I am being treated for hypothyroidism, and in the last week have trapped a nerve that is causing great pain in my right arm and hand. I have read how turmeric can help so I am happily trying it out.

• admin 05/03/2015, 01:34

Thank you for your kind words. Turmeric is a great anti-inflammatory…and may help with the intensity of the pain you have. However, if a nerve is trapped, massage or chiropractic work will most likely help you most to ‘un-trap’ it. As far as thyroid diseases (the hypothyroidism you mentioned)there are numerous promising studies that show that turmeric indeed is helpful in balancing thyroid. Be sure to follow the protocol on how to take itl. Wishing you the best!

• Tom 10/02/2015, 05:31

I have never used /Turmeric B/4. I am Type II Diabetic/ With Coronary Heat Disease
    There is a company that sells itwith the blk pepper already added to the Turmeric
    is it ok to buy that ? Please advise I have not yet made my purchase…

• admin 10/02/2015, 15:58

Hello Tom,
      I am assuming you mean the piperine (from black pepper) added to turmeric in capsules? Yes, go ahead and give it a try.
      You mentioned your diabetes and heart disease…please do a search on this site for info about cinnamon (specifically beneficial for diabetics) and cayenne. I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

• Michael 09/02/2015, 06:16

Does this need to be heated or can I just mix it and drink it raw? Thanks!

• admin 09/02/2015, 17:39

Hello Michael,
      Turmeric is difficult to mix into cold milk or water. It is hydophobic which means it can be dissolved in an oil/fat but it cannot dissolve in water. Heating does help this a little but one adds the oil/fat as it is heating and stirs frequently. It only takes but a few minutes to reach just under simmer. There are a lot of varying opinions about how long to simmer but for the purpose of the Golden Milk drink, just a minute or so is fine. One adds the black pepper and honey to sweeten at the end.
      If you tried it in cold milk you will still need the little bit of oil (1/4 tsp or so) and black pepper and use a high speed in a blender. Or in a jar with a tight fitting lid and shake the (blip) out of it. But why cold in the first place?? 🙂

• mya 05/02/2015, 14:24

I have been suffering from finFibromyalgia, degenerative disk disease wuth arthritic vack,hios and feet. I have been lucky with cbd oils snd some pharmaceuticals but i find breakthrough pain too overwhelming, I am more prone to tcm and Ayurveda though i have never seen an sayurveda doctor. I jyst started tumeric and ginger therapy and knew nothing about the pepper, i use a rinder but the peppercorns are encased so, would you brak down what that may be in tsp? I have friends that never use it with pepper sre they jydt lucky

• admin 06/02/2015, 01:36

Hello Mya,
      So sorry to read of your health problems. It must be difficult for you.

I am not sure what you mean by ‘the peppercorns are encased’. As far as I have researched, I have found no set suggestion about what ratio of turmeric to black pepper. My understanding is that to a normal dose, a few good grinds is all that is needed. It is not always the case that ‘more is better’…so I would not worry about what fraction of a tsp. you need of pepper.

I am sure your friends are getting ‘some’ benefit from the turmeric without the pepper, however they are loosing out on the full benefits of turmeric by omitting it. Please direct them to my turmeric articles for info on that. Turmeric has a short term effect in the body so it is a pity not to take full advantage of it…this means taken with a little oil/fat AND the black pepper. Otherwise, much is lost.

Also, several doses throughout the day are far better than one large one simply because its effect is short term as I mentioned.

Have you tried adding cayenne as well to your turmeric doses (this does not replace the black pepper as cayenne does not have piperine)? Read my post on the benefits of cayenne.

I advised another reader with fibromyalgia following: “I recently ran into information on a herb called Griffonia simplicifolia . I would advise you to search for info regarding this herb as it seems to be very helpful for fibromyalia. (Griffonia simplicifolia and fibromyalgia – without the parenthesis).”

I hope this helps and I wish you success!

• Joanne Cowper 24/01/2015, 17:20

When do you add the black pepper? During the cooking, boiling or at the end?

• admin 24/01/2015, 17:42

Add it at the end. Piperine is weakened with cooking…so best added just as you turn the heat off or at some point later. By the way, try it with ground ginger and/or cinnamon to taste (both whilst heating the milk with the turmeric). Lovely flavour!

• Jalen 03/01/2015, 18:00

Oh yeah, faoulbus stuff there you!