We have on average 37 liters of water in our body, or put another way, roughly 55% to 60% of us – is water. And most of us are perpetually under-hydrated, especially in summer. We need to tank up the reserves!
Here are a dozen super tips to help make drinking your water quota more interesting while benefiting from the healthy boost they offer.
Make your delicious waters by the pitcher and allow to infuse at least 30 minutes to a few hours – or even overnight. Ingredient amounts are suggestions only. Add more or less as you prefer!
Starting with my Top Tip:
- Fruit “Ice” – Rather than using ice cubes to cool your drink without diluting it, freeze sections of orange or other summertime citrus such as pink grapefruit or clementines. Even grapes (perfect way to keep your white wine chilled too!). Add these just before serving.
- Pineapple and Mint – Cut up half a pineapple, capturing the juice and add to a pitcher of water. Add a small handful of your favourite mint leaves, torn or coarsely chopped.
- Citrus and Cucumber Cooler – Fill a third to half a pitcher with thinly sliced lime, lemon and cucumber in ribbons or slices. Add orange or other citrus ‘ice’ just before serving.
- Strawberry and Mint – Add a few handfuls of sliced in half strawberries and a small handful of your favourite mint.
- Berry Mash – Fill a third of the pitcher with a mix of summer berries and lightly mash, saving a small handful of whole berries to add after filling with water.
- Ginger, Honey and Lemon ‘Tea’ – Wash a fresh ginger root well and cut thin slices, enough to cover the bottom of the pitcher well (about the thickness of your small finger). Pour over hot water, just enough to cover and a serious drizzle of raw honey. Allow to steep 10 minutes before filling with water
- Mint and Green Tea – In a small pot, heat a few cups of water to just under boiling. Add 4 green tea bags and 2 handfuls of torn mint leaves. Allow this ‘extract’ to steep until cooled enough to pour into your pitcher. Fill with water and add lemon slices if you like.
- Melon and Mixed Fruit – Cut up into chunks melon of any kind and whatever fruit you have on hand such as pineapple, apple, pear or peach enough to fill nearly half the pitcher. Add water.
- Cranberry Lime – Fill pitcher a fourth full with unsweetened cranberry juice. Add two thinly sliced limes.
- Basil, Cucumber and Lemon – Tear a small handful of basil leaves, slice a small cucumber (or half of a long one, and slice a lemon or two. Fill the pitcher and allow to steep for at least one hour.
- Lemon Verbena – Similar to the Mint and Green Tea, heat a few cups of water, add a handful of torn lemon verbena leaves (or leave whole) and allow to steep until cool. Add to pitcher and fill with water.
- Sparkling Tip – You can dilute any of these summer coolers by adding sparkling water in the ratio you prefer!
Keep cool, keep hydrated and enjoy nibbling on the fruit, cucumber or berries as you sip!
Have a favourite summer cooler? Let us know in the comments!
Related Post: Quick Sport Drink