Not a lot of time but want a healthy, sweet breakfast or light meal? You will love these because in the time your favourite fat/oil is heating up, these are mixed up in a flash and done within 10 minutes. Add a fourth ingredient – turmeric and get a dose in you won’t even taste!
- 1 ripe banana
- 1 small egg
- 1 heaping tablespoon of your favourite flour or non-gluten ‘flour’.
Heat oil in a heavy pan (use coconut oil and you’ll have your healthy dose for the day). Mash the banana well (I use a soup plate), add the egg and stir well. Sprinkle over the flour and mix well.
Use a tablespoon and drop onto the medium hot pan and waiting oil. Because of the sugar content of the bananas, these will turn brown rather quickly so depending on your pan you may wish to reduce the heat a little when you turn these.
Lots of variations for these by adding another ingredient:
- Want them fluffier? I did and so added less than 1/4 tsp. of baking powder. Or you can use self rising flour and see if that works for you.
- Want to avoid the baking powder but want them fluffy? Mix the yolk into the banana. Beat the egg white stiff and fold in after you’ve mixed in the flour.
- I add turmeric to the banana/egg mixture and get one of my daily doses in this way. You won’t taste it but the colour produced is lovely!
- Try these with turmeric and a ginger too!
Tips and Toppings:
- Tip: Large banana, medium to large egg. Small banana, small egg.
- Tip: Use only enough flour to make a not too thin batter.
- Tip: These are best made into smallish pancakes. Using a small banana produces 4-5 small pancakes.
- Tip: Beating a small amount of egg white is tricky. I use a mini-whisk and a small bowl for this. Takes only a minute.
- Try a sprinkling of cinnamon, walnuts and honey. Heavenly.
- Top with berries or fresh fruit of the season and a dollop of creme fraiche.
- Warmed apple sauce is also delicious.
- Top with banana slices and blueberries.